problems with aviva expert

iHs

I would phone Accu chek helpline desk and ask them how you can overide the present settings on the meter. If it is set to 1u or 1KE for 10g carb that is as good as useless as many people find that their insulin to carb ratios change according to the time of day that bolus insulin is injected.

Are you using the up/down arrow buttons on the meter to highlight the carb ratio? If you press on the middle enter button that will then enable you to alter the setting by using the up and down arrows.

stoney

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Pump
Yes I am using the up and down arrows but they won't get rid of KE and according to the manual KE = 10g so that is all I seem to be able to do. I think I will phone Accu check helpline and see what they come up with or even email them if I can.

Thanks for that :wink:

iHs said:
I would phone Accu chek helpline desk and ask them how you can overide the present settings on the meter. If it is set to 1u or 1KE for 10g carb that is as good as useless as many people find that their insulin to carb ratios change according to the time of day that bolus insulin is injected.

Are you using the up/down arrow buttons on the meter to highlight the carb ratio? If you press on the middle enter button that will then enable you to alter the setting by using the up and down arrows.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Hi

As far as i am aware KE is the correct setting... All you need to do is to go in to settings; time blocks and arrow down to where it says carb ratio and then arrow down to the grams or units whichever you want to change and change them.

My machine is set up to KE, as I often wonder what KE actually means!!!

stoney

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Pump
Hi There

When I was given this big box with the Monitor there was also a large training manual (not that I am very good at following it), a Standard Owners Booklet and a getting started guide and STILL cant get the hang of it. According to the Training Manual this is what the following applies to

BE = 12g
KE = 10g
CC = 15g

If you have the standard owners booklet you will see on page 252 a table for the following

Abbreviation Unit of Measurement Gram equivalent
g Grams 1gram
KE Kohlenhydrateinheit :?: 10grams
BE Bread Equivalent 12 grams
CC Carbohydrate Choice 15 grams

but the instructions and pictures are not showing these symbols but actual grams and for some reason I can't change it. I have just finished emailing Roche asking their advice, I will let you know what I hear from them.

donnellysdogs said:
Hi

As far as i am aware KE is the correct setting... All you need to do is to go in to settings; time blocks and arrow down to where it says carb ratio and then arrow down to the grams or units whichever you want to change and change them.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
You deinitely change by going in to Settings and Bolus advice and tab down and change your actual ratio's there. mine are all hugely different, and that is the only place I have changed them..

iHs

Stoney

If you watch satelite tv at home, changing the settings on the Expert is done exactly the same way as you would scrolling up,down and enter (select) buttons on a Sky or cable remote control. On the Expert you have to scroll down to the insulin unit setting (highlight blue) enter it and then using the up/down buttons select the correct unit of insulin, then enter to select it and then scroll across or down to select another setting.

iHs

Hi

Just had a thought. It might be that when the meter was sent out to you, the bolus advice was disabled so that it could not be altered. Someone at Accu chek should be able to guide you through the process of enabling it :wink:

stoney

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Pump
Maybe cos I cannot get the KE off and according to the handbook KE = 10g so if I was to change the amount it would still have KE and what would the carbs amount to then e.g.

if I was to put in 12 with the KE still there would that amount to 120 :?:

iHs said:
Hi

Just had a thought. It might be that when the meter was sent out to you, the bolus advice was disabled so that it could not be altered. Someone at Accu chek should be able to guide you through the process of enabling it :wink:

iHs

If KE stands for carbohydrate, then by altering it to read 12, your new bolus advice will read 12KE for 1 unit of insulin - 12g carb for 1u insulin.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Yes, buyt then that would be it for the conversion rates for all meals surely? I thought Stoney was wanting to change carb ratio's for different meals such as breakfast, lunch and dinner.

TO change these you do have to have the advanced menu, and this is easy to get....

iHs

stoney said:
Hi There

When I was given this big box with the Monitor there was also a large training manual (not that I am very good at following it), a Standard Owners Booklet and a getting started guide and STILL cant get the hang of it. According to the Training Manual this is what the following applies to

BE = 12g
KE = 10g
CC = 15g

If you have the standard owners booklet you will see on page 252 a table for the following

Abbreviation Unit of Measurement Gram equivalent
g Grams 1gram
KE Kohlenhydrateinheit :?: 10grams
BE Bread Equivalent 12 grams
CC Carbohydrate Choice 15 grams

but the instructions and pictures are not showing these symbols but actual grams and for some reason I can't change it. I have just finished emailing Roche asking their advice, I will let you know what I hear from them.

donnellysdogs said:
Hi

Hi

If you cannot alter the carbohydrate setting, just adjust the insulin setting so that for every KE less insulin is given. Or use BE as that would cover 12g carb. You might have a point that if you alter the KE to 12 it may mean that it calculates 12 x 10 which is no good :lol:

Ask Accu chek to send you a meter that is configured to calculate correctly in a language you can understand :lol:

iHs

Stoney

Just had a look at the booklets that came with the Combo. If you have the Getting Started Guide booklet, look at page 27 at the Setup Wizard for the meter. You will be able to change language and alter all the settings on page 28.

stoney

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Pump
Yay Me

Thanks for your help I have now managed to change the KE back to grams and I think I HAVE MASTERED IT. The advice options seem to be giving me what I am expecting from it so everything is ok AT THE MOMENT. I will take it along with us when we see the dietitian and to see if there is anyone who can go through it with us then. I know we do need to do a lot of tweaking as far as ratios are concerned as James does tend to run on the low side now (he has never drunk so much lucozade in such a short time) .

Thanks for everyones support I really could not have done this without the help :D

iHs said:
Stoney

Just had a look at the booklets that came with the Combo. If you have the Getting Started Guide booklet, look at page 27 at the Setup Wizard for the meter. You will be able to change language and alter all the settings on page 28.

stoney

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Pump
You can say that again, now if we can only master the readings on Saturday football games, I WILL DEFINITELY PUT THE FLAGS OUT :D :lol: :lol: :lol:

iHs said:
Hooray :D Put the Flags Out :lol:

schwexyeyes

I've just reread this thread and in the original comment saying it told you to 5.5 units of insulin to reduce the sugar level, had you inputted carbs because the great thing with this metre is it works out how much insulin you need for the carbs anda correction dose if needed so you get the total amount and not two separate amounts for you to add together to get the total amounts as to inject

borderter

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes! Celebrities and curry
How do I work out carb factor?I know its how much 1 carb portion will raise bgs but as I take insulin at meals am I supposed to just eat and see how high it gets without jab or is there a simple way :?

schwexyeyes

to help you carb count there are books available such as the carbs & cals book by chris cheyette & yello balolia that ive been usin since june and its great you can also get the app for your iphone or theres also an andriod phone app in which i have it is £3.99 but well worth it i wouldnt have been able to get the control back without the use of this book or the aviva expert metre, you could also talk with your DSN aswell to see what he/she would be able to do to help you with carb counting

HanaEv

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hatred, bullying, politics, bigotry, war, the cold, spiders, walking into spider webs, mushrooms, spicy food, Donald Trump (Orange Orangutan Twitter ****)
Hi, im currently having a problem with my new Aviva Expert. I only got it yesterday, and yesterday I could modify my entries. But all of a sudden today I can't, I get a warning message telling me the entry is for advice only and cannot be modified. What have I done? Or how can I get it to let me modify my entires again? I tend to think last minute about desserts and things after meals and it's ideal that I can modify the carbs I enter originally. Please help!!