Problems with employers?

kellibabi

Re: Problems with employers?

To the person who sent me a private message re: this post - I can't read it. Apparently, I'm not authorised to read private messages. Sorry.

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods

kellibabi said:
To the person who sent me a private message re: this post - I can't read it. Apparently, I'm not authorised to read private messages. Sorry.
Kelibabi, once you have posted 5+ times you can do PMs (Personal Messages not PMS :lol: )

Fiona I

Everyone in my office knows and I work with lots of members of the general public for a back to work provider!!
My bosses and colleagues are all supportive and even went on a low carb diet with me.
I am allowed time off for doctors/nurses visits.
I am the only person not to have a sick day this year!!!

If you prove its not a problem to you then it should not be a problem to other people.

:D :D

shellygirl78

I worked in a hospital for the last seven years. I am currently getting legal assistance in order to take my employer to court for constructive dismissal with elements of discrimination due to my diabetes. I have found that certain people working within the 'caring profession' are the least tolerant and least caring of all :-(

dclarkbus

As a bus driver with type 2 I asked my employer for reasonable adjustments under the the old Disability Discrimination Ac 1995 but my employers did not comply. When the act changed to the new legislation in 2010 I took them to an employment tribunal and won. I received compensation and the tribunal recommended reasonable adjustments to my work /shift patterns along with regular meal times. At the time I was tablet controlled and the tribunal stated that my employers had to treat me as though I did not take any medication, therefore I fell within the criteria of the Equality Act 2010.
I did have the backing of my union solicitors any they employed a barrister on my behalf. For anyone in any doubt weather they are covered by the act I would suggest doing their homework before starting down that road and be ready for your employers to try all sorts of dirty tricks. Having said that, GO FOR IT.

Wocko

Unfortunately I have come across problems in employment a few years ago working at a supermarket whilst at uni. I had a week off sick due to DKA. My Mum contacted them to say I was being taken to hospital because I was unconscious. On my return I received a disciplinary because I hadn't rang myself despite not being able to. I then got told during my return to work interview that as diabetes is a controllable condition, I caused myself to DKA. Anyone who's been there knows that you DO NOT wish that on yourself or anyone else. They also said that diabetes was not recognised by them as a disability either so no arrangements would be permitted to help (not even having Lucozade nearby on a desk in case of hypos). The stress caused me to leave in the end. It makes me laugh that this supermarket now sponsors Diabetes UK when they had so little understanding or empathy towards the condition.

wyresoft

I've been told that diabetes is covered under the 2010 equalities act so an employer is in breach of that if they fail to make reasonable measures to accommodate your needs