Problems with GP surgery

lallum2

Hi!

I have been insulin dependent for over 20 years. About three years ago I had a strange letter from my GP surgery. I had requested a repeat prescription of statins. The letter said I could not have my prescription as they believed I was abusing statins! I was gobsmacked. Since then I have had difficulty getting any volume of any thing from the surgery. I have discussed it with them. They say their policy is to not prescribe in any quantity as it may be wasted. I asked them if they thought I was likely to have a miracle cure by which I no longer required insulin, statins, pen needles, testing strips, etc. They just smiled. I am now 57 years old and the hospital tell me I have no signs of any diabetic related illnesses of any type. I am in excellent health. I do however spend time every fortnight getting more supplies. I work shifts and this can be an issue both contacting the surgery and picking up supplies. I am fortunate in that the pharmacist is very understanding. I cant get glucagon at all from them which is a pain to say the least. Going on holiday for more than 2 weeks causes hand wringing on their part and lots of humming and harring. All because I managed to misplace one packet of pills allowing them to think I was taking too much!

I am getting increasingly irritated by this. I've thought about changing GP surgeries but this is a small town and I have a choice of 2 surgeries next door to each other so a bit difficult to change!

Any thoughts?

Moley

I was under the impression that you were entitled to a month of medication at a time. I guess if this were me I'd be seeking advice from PALs and writing to the local health authority. Unfortunately I feel lately that us diabetics are having a hard time of it as the NHS are trying to save money and we are the first patients they pick on as we are expensive. I wish you luck, probably not an easy problem to resolve.

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Have you had your blood checked lately to see if you still need the statins?

cally

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I couldn't agree more!
It drives me mad that they will only allow me a months worth of supplies at a time :x . OK I can order them online but that still means I have to go into the local town 12 times in a year to pick up my prescriptions. There doesn't seem to be any flexbility in the system at all. When I need extras to take on holiday the system just can't cope and I have to make multiple phone calls.
And then there are things that I get from the health centre like sharps bins, Tegaderm dressing for pump site and most annoying of all the yearly Diabetes nurse check up and blood tests that they insist that I attend, despite the fact that I go to hospital clinic twice a year. :(

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Clearly the NHS in general, and GP surgeries and Accident and Emergency in particular would run much better if it weren't for patients expecting treatment and drugs and advice. Don't they realise that they are a distraction from getting on with the real job? It's not here for your benefit you know.

My GP's surgery is clad with steel shutters over the windows and iron bars and fences around the entrances. I asked the GP why it looked like a high security prison and he claimed it was due to vandalism. I pointed out that none of the other adjacent shops or businesses had this level of security, in fact, they had none at all. He then claimed it was due to that fact that addicts wanted to break in to see if there were drugs to be had.

'In that case', I asked, 'why is the pharmacist next door not taking these precautions? They only have sun blinds.'

Some GP's just seem to think that you should swallow any old excuse and bow to their superior knowledge and authority. It hasn't moved on much since the days of 'take two asprin and go to bed'. Except the budget has gone up from £7 billion to £117 billion.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
They shouldn't be restricting your supplies to only 2 weeks at a time lallum, if your under the care of a hospital diabetes clinic ask your Endo or DSN to write to your gp and request that you are given more supplies.

Back in February this year the Dept of health wrote to gp practises informing them that restrictions should not be placed on the prescribing of test strip for type 1's, here's the letter which you might want to print off and take along to your gp surgery:

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... abetes.pdf