Problems with lantus

clare85

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hello I've been on lantus for a couple of months I was injecting into stomach at first but now nurse has said that I need to do it in thigh. Only problem is it is really hurting. I've read a couple of things that have suggested keeping It at room temperature or doing it slowly will help but they aren't for me. It's at room temperature already and the slower I do it the more it hurts cos it takes longer and it kills until I take the needle out. Just wondering if anybody has any other ideas that might help?

Sent from my SM-A310F using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Hello I've been on lantus for a couple of months I was injecting into stomach at first but now nurse has said that I need to do it in thigh. Only problem is it is really hurting. I've read a couple of things that have suggested keeping It at room temperature or doing it slowly will help but they aren't for me. It's at room temperature already and the slower I do it the more it hurts cos it takes longer and it kills until I take the needle out. Just wondering if anybody has any other ideas that might help?

Sent from my SM-A310F using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

Hi @clare85 ,

Welcome to the forums.

I can inject in the outside of my legs more easily than front. Have you experimented by moving the needle around to find a less sensitive area? You can try your upper arms and bum cheeks too.........

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/insulin/injection-sites.html

Last edited by a moderator:

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Is it the injection that is hurting? Or the lantus itself stinging?

Lantus we inject is acidic, so unfortunately it just does sometime sting.

How much are you injecting? If it's a large dose (over 20) and the lantus is stinging, it might help to split it up into 2 separate injections - so (if you are doing for example 20 u) instead of sticking all 20 in one place, do 10 in one leg and 10 in the other. But obviously that idea is going to sound awful if it's the needle going in that is causing the problem!

If that's the issue make sure you are using the smallest needle possible for you (4mm is the smallest) and a fresh needle every time. Make sure you are rotating your sites and injecting in somewhere ideally with a good bit of padding - this might also help with the sting - I would inject my lantus into my thighs or my bum cheek (cos I've got plenty of padding there) and I found that the sting bothered me less there than in my stomach.

I also found that it helped to not move too much after taking my lantus so do it in bed and then stay in bed and fall asleep - I'm pretty sure that's just because I'm a drama queen, but getting up and walking round on the leg where I injected seemed to make me more aware of the sting. You could try numbing the area with ice - it would give you a different kind of sensation to focus on instead of the sting. Someone else has mentioned scratching at the same time as injecting for the same reason - you focus on the scratch over there on your knee so you don't notice the lantus going into your thigh.

Sorry, it kind of amounts to just put up with it (which isn't awfully helpful) but maybe if you experiment with different places you will find somewhere where it isn't so uncomfortable to inject.

Reactions: 2 people

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
Hi there @clare85
welcome to the forum :)
i have used lantus for about 18 years in total and I always found the best place to inject is that lovely place where your upper bum is -- think of it as an upper kim kardashian ( the mind boggles :))

if that doesn't work or clear things up for you talk to your DSN ( Diabetic nurse) and ask if you could switch to levemir
for your background insulin

clare85

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thanks all for your responses..I've tried my arms and that's just as painful. Its not the injection cos it doesn't hurt when the needle goes in its only once the lantus starts to go in it hurts until the needle comes out..its only 16 units I'm on. I've tried the arms and that was just as painful..the annoying thing is I've got a lot of fat but it's mostly on my belly which I can't use:( will just have to keep experimenting I guess...it sucks :(

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
to be honest clare it does suck -- big time----- but all of us do get what you're going through and I am sure that we all ( even those who haven't replied ) all send their very biggest hugs and best wishes

I like the idea of talking to your DSN about a possible insulin change -- i know it won't help for the next couple of days but perhaps you can get a switch next week

got to be worth a phone call !!!!!!!!

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I
It it in my love handles. They aren't large but every night feel different. My thighs kill me and arms no better. Stomach and love handles work best

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks all for your responses..I've tried my arms and that's just as painful. Its not the injection cos it doesn't hurt when the needle goes in its only once the lantus starts to go in it hurts until the needle comes out..its only 16 units I'm on. I've tried the arms and that was just as painful..the annoying thing is I've got a lot of fat but it's mostly on my belly which I can't use:( will just have to keep experimenting I guess...it sucks :(

I second the suggestion to consider swapping to a different insulin. Lantus is known to cause stinging due to its acidity. Sometimes doctors have 'favourite' insulins that they automatically prescribe, but we'd all different, and if Lantus doesn't suit you due to the pain, then it's definitely worth seeing if you can change to one of the other basal insulins.

Ellie's mum

Type of diabetes
Type 1
My daughter hates her lantus injections as they sting so much. Her DN suggested using ice on it first and this has made it much more bearable for her x

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum mobile app

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people

I would definitely look to changing your basal insulin if it hurts, but when you do try injecting in the bum @clare85

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Have been using lantus for a few years and only ever inject in my backside, anywhere else and I will feel the injection, not necessarily pain but I do feel it. Backside causes no problems except it does require a certain amount of dexterity. Maybe worth a try. Good luck.

worcesterwoman

Type of diabetes
HCP
I had problems with Lantus, stinging was the least of it, I ended up having what felt like plates of armour under my skin, bright red and sore, I wasn't getting any results either from it. Eventually managed to get changed to Humulin I and what a relief, and results too, much better tolerated.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I inject in my love handles. It does sting a bit even in small doses but it's very predictable for me so I'll take the hit. There's nothing fun or comfortab,e about diabetes so I just live with it the best I can. Did have a bit of a meltdown this week but bday in my feet again.