Problems with Levemir

ema1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just curious to if anyones had recurring problems with levemir and high blood sugar?

Been taking levemir for the past 12 years, but recently turned 18 and now waking up on 15+ levels even with changes to units nothing happens. Doctor has advised me to take lantis which i shall try however have heard of the awful side effects and now wary of.

The high blood sugars are becoming really distressing as i'm not used to them this frequently at all, possibly could be causing my recent regular nose bleeds.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Well if the levemir isn't working for you then its worth changing to lantus to see if this improves matters, I was using lantus up until recently and didn't suffer any awful side-effects.

ema1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well if the levemir isn't working for you then its worth changing to lantus to see if this improves matters, I was using lantus up until recently and didn't suffer any awful side-effects.

That's reassuring to hear! Just curious to what are you changing to?

nikkid

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I use levemere and was in a similar situation to you- I swapped to twice daily dosing after advice from my consultant. This has really helped.
Also I had a go with a freestyle libre and was surprised to see that I suffer With the dawn phenomenon- if I'd woken up at 7am my bloods would be normal but rising, if I had a lie in then this rise would continue up to 10-15mmol/l maybe it's worth tracking your levels overnight to see if this is the case with you.
Hope this helps

ema1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I use levemere and was in a similar situation to you- I swapped to twice daily dosing after advice from my consultant. This has really helped.
Also I had a go with a freestyle libre and was surprised to see that I suffer With the dawn phenomenon- if I'd woken up at 7am my bloods would be normal but rising, if I had a lie in then this rise would continue up to 10-15mmol/l maybe it's worth tracking your levels overnight to see if this is the case with you.
Hope this helps

Yeah the doctor asked me if i wanted to do my levemir in two injections but i just dont want to do another injection i guess. Yeah they dicussed tracking my bloods over night but said they didnt have the equipment on them so maybe if the issue continues.

Just curious if you got any nose bleeds as well during the high blood sugar morning times?

nikkid

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yeah the doctor asked me if i wanted to do my levemir in two injections but i just dont want to do another injection i guess. Yeah they dicussed tracking my bloods over night but said they didnt have the equipment on them so maybe if the issue continues.

Just curious if you got any nose bleeds as well during the high blood sugar morning times?

Never had nose bleeds due to it no :/ have you mentioned that to your doctor?
Even if there is no continuous monitoring available you could set an alarm (I know it's tough!) say for every 2-3 hours overnight to track a general trend in your bloods. Would be worth it to try and narrow down the cause, nothing worse than starting the day with high blood glucose.
Hope you can sort it soon

ema1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Never had nose bleeds due to it no :/ have you mentioned that to your doctor?
Even if there is no continuous monitoring available you could set an alarm (I know it's tough!) say for every 2-3 hours overnight to track a general trend in your bloods. Would be worth it to try and narrow down the cause, nothing worse than starting the day with high blood glucose.
Hope you can sort it soon

Yeah i have but they said they're not too sure about why it's happening and they havent come across it before?
Yeah thats true might have to start doing that!
Thanks, me too :)

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Can I assume you are also using a rapid insulin e.g. NovoRapid for meals as well as the daily Levemir or Lantus? Are you carb counting with the rapid and are you having a low-carb diet?

ema1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Can I assume you are also using a rapid insulin e.g. NovoRapid for meals as well as the daily Levemir or Lantus? Are you carb counting with the rapid and are you having a low-carb diet?

Yeah novorapid for meals
Not carb counting yet, but booked on to the Daphne course for summer
I'd probably say a medium carb diet - it varies, my rapid per meal is usually around 8-12 units and that covers it very well

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Yeah novorapid for meals
Not carb counting yet, but booked on to the Daphne course for summer
I'd probably say a medium carb diet - it varies, my rapid per meal is usually around 8-12 units and that covers it very well

Whilst you wait to go on the course have a look at the following, it's an on-line carb counting course which you should find useful:

http://www.bdec-e-learning.com/