Procastination

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
It's when you go into a shop for something and then can't remember the name of the thing you want.You stand there like an idiot trying to talk round what you want,a for instance,i needed batteries for a radio.Could I remember the word 'battery' could I h*ll!!So I described them as" those things you put in the radio to make it work!" :oops: :oops: !"Oh batteries you mean" said the shop keeper with a grin. Luckily I am well known so no one called the men in white coats to take me away!!

Trinkwasser

popps said:
sugar2 said:
Masny "mental" problems have resolved with BG control, along with physical ones. This one hasn't. To think when I was young I used to pay good money for drugs to get into this state . . .

Jeez, Trink, you're beginning to reveal your age now. Do you date back to the swinging sixties/psyche seventies, or maybe to the Beat era (Jack Kerouac et al.? Or maybe the eighties - which were a good time but I can't remember exactly why ...

I have to count birthdays on my fingers. I was 56 the other day. At least I think I was, hang on . . .

Trinkwasser

sugarless sue said:
It's when you go into a shop for something and then can't remember the name of the thing you want.You stand there like an idiot trying to talk round what you want,a for instance,i needed batteries for a radio.Could I remember the word 'battery' could I h*ll!!So I described them as" those things you put in the radio to make it work!" :oops: :oops: !"Oh batteries you mean" said the shop keeper with a grin. Luckily I am well known so no one called the men in white coats to take me away!!

BTDT

I went into the pharmacy and just stood there trying to remember what I wanted, eventually I said "do you have any memory pills?"

Aadrgon

Trinkwasser said:
I have to count birthdays on my fingers. I was 56 the other day. At least I think I was, hang on . . .

I gave that up after I reached 10 :)

Seriously though I have to work out how old I am every time I'm asked. I wonder whether this is an older person thing rather than a diabetic thing, any of our younger members care to throw some light on the subject ?

Aadrgon

Trinkwasser said:
I went into the pharmacy and just stood there trying to remember what I wanted

When shopping I almost invariably buy everything except what I went in for in the first place
If I make a list I always leave it somewhere.
Last time I picked up something for the rest of the family for tea, got home started cooking it and then realised I had nothing for me

Trinkwasser

Aadrgon said:
Trinkwasser said:

I gave that up after I reached 10 :)

Seriously though I have to work out how old I am every time I'm asked. I wonder whether this is an older person thing rather than a diabetic thing, any of our younger members care to throw some light on the subject ?

One thing that's for certain, birthdays used to be an annual event, now they seem to come round every few months.

When you are young a year is 1/10 of your life, now it's 1/50 of your life, makes it a lot shorter

Trinkwasser

Aadrgon said:
Trinkwasser said:
I went into the pharmacy and just stood there trying to remember what I wanted

When shopping I almost invariably buy everything except what I went in for in the first place
If I make a list I always leave it somewhere.
Last time I picked up something for the rest of the family for tea, got home started cooking it and then realised I had nothing for me

BTDT I used to be SOOOO organised, wrote my list in the order of the shops and the shelves in the shops. I still do, then I leave it behind. or the wallet. Or the glasses. Or I leave something I bought in one shop in another when I buy something else.

Ask me the specifications of trucks or agricultural machinery from the 1970s and I can quote them from memory, although I no longer need to.

claridge

Dislikes
Rude arrogant people
Just before l got diagnosed l used to go out on benders and ending up looking straight through people when they were talking to me.. l just couldnt concentrate. Dont know if that was too do with the excess sugars.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
claridge said:
Just before l got diagnosed l used to go out on benders and ending up looking straight through people when they were talking to me.. l just couldnt concentrate. Dont know if that was too do with the excess sugars.

No claridge, some of my mates are boring too. :lol:

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Seriously claridge, low blood sugar levels can cause a lack of concentration amongst a host of other things. Alcohol in excess is not good for a Diabetic. :(

Ken.

claridge

Dislikes
Rude arrogant people
The good thing is l hate being drunk these days anyway- think my body let me get all my partying out the way before getting Diabetes.

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Seriously Claridge,watching some one drunk is much the same symptoms as someone with dementia.Not a nice thing to witness at all.

Daz

I think that my memory has suffered since being diagnosed, I use to have to speak in public, but now I struggle to come up with the right words to discribe stuff, strange eh !!! there must be some connection.......

Also I used to be really efficient with my paperwork and stuff, where as now, I seem to leave it to the day before its due in.

and the fustrating thing is that I know im doing it too !!!! :x

chocoholic

I live opposite a huge Tesco, so I'm in there every few days. A couple of days ago I was queuing up to pay for some stamps when I realised my debit card was missing from the appropriate slot in my purse. I really felt quite panicky and my heart was racing, wondering where the hell I'd left it. I asked the security guy if he'd had any cards handed in in the last few days and when I told him my unusual surname,he instantly recalled it and indeed my card was in ther secure hands. Apparently I had left it there at 4.55 the day before but the worrying thing is I couldn't recall being in the store the day before. :roll: Now,of course, I do remember I was in there but it is seriously starting to worry me that my brain is going. I laugh about it but behind the laughing, it scares me that I seem to be doing things I might expect someone much older to be doing.......namely forgetting things big time!

Thirsty

I hope I don't get as bad as my father. One day when I visited he was turning the house upside down because he'd mislaid his favourite pipe. It was in his mouth!

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Just as bad as looking for your glasses when they are perched on top of your head!! :lol:

samcogle

sugarless sue said:
Just as bad as looking for your glasses when they are perched on top of your head!! :lol:
Done that one :)
I do think the problem some of us have is more to do with attention though rather than forgetfulness. We live such fast paced lives and have so much running through our heads we just don't concentrate.
I remember a few years ago when I had lost my job, I went to the bank to get my last £10 for some food. I took my card out of the machine and walked away without taking the money. I had only gone about 4 steps and turned around and asked the woman who was behind me if she had seen my money. She denied there was any there and even when I said it was my last tenner she just smiled and told me there was no money there....bloody liar i reckon :roll:

HLW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Cash machines eat the money again if you don't take it out in time, to stop people stealing it. But I assume it would show up in your account again if that happened, and if someone is near enough they do have time to take the money.

I'm very good at procrastinating, I've had a lot of practise! Quite disorganised too. Both are symptoms of dyspraxia (sort of related to dyslexia), which I have, I am told. So I can't blame that on diabetes.