Proccesed foods

A

AnnieC

I just wondered what foods are classed as processed that many of you would not eat. Apart from the obvious like burgers,sausages ready meals,cakes and biscuits etc
surely most other things are processed in some way like dairy foods ie cheese yogurts and milk so is there really anything we eat nowdays that is not processed in one way or another most things have at very least some sort of preservatives The only thing I can think of at the moment that is not processed is eggs and fresh vegetables and fruit

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people

Joe Sweatthang

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not Paragliding
Processed...anything that comes off a production line or contains anything that has come off a production line. Sugar and flower are the main problem foods. Soft, fizzy drinks, juices...foods containing sugars where the fibre has been stripped out. Milk and cheese are fine.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Even then
avoid pre grated cheese, it sometimes has potato starch added to stop it clogging.
Buy it in blocks.
Milk has vitamins and calcium added to some brands.
I make my own yoghurt.
I avoid bacon, sausage, salami and processed meats of that type.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I just wondered what foods are classed as processed that many of you would not eat. Apart from the obvious like burgers,sausages ready meals,cakes and biscuits etc
surely most other things are processed in some way like dairy foods ie cheese yogurts and milk so is there really anything we eat nowdays that is not processed in one way or another most things have at very least some sort of preservatives The only thing I can think of at the moment that is not processed is eggs and fresh vegetables and fruit

You've identified quite a few there Annie and the list is endless tbh, even down to seasoning's like salt & pepper. I do think it's hard to avoid processed food completely and it always brings a smile to my face when people say they don't eat any :)

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I see a difference between foods like cheese and made-up food that only pretends to be proper food but isn't. Cheese, proper cheese, is a fermented product and I have no problems whatsoever with fermentation, I even like sauerkraut.

I usually just buy stuff like meat, vegetables, butter, olive oil and cheese and then I make my own whatever I want to have. We keep chickens and sheep and get milk from a neighbour. We also grow most of our own vegetables so don't need to buy much at all. In fact, we are organic farmers so we sell quite a lot of organic produce, mostly vegetables.

I look at the ingredients list before I decide if I want to pay or rather, before I decide if it actually is edible, so very few tubs, tubes, bottles and other containers in my household has more than two things on the ingredient list.

Mud Island Dweller

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
An awful lot.
l eat cheese, the odd sausage with low carbs.I have about 5 slices of salami or pepperami (spelling?) at lunch. I think we can go overboard on things so l try to be slightly sensible.

A

AnnieC

I see a difference between foods like cheese and made-up food that only pretends to be proper food but isn't. Cheese, proper cheese, is a fermented product and I have no problems whatsoever with fermentation, I even like sauerkraut.

I usually just buy stuff like meat, vegetables, butter, olive oil and cheese and then I make my own whatever I want to have. We keep chickens and sheep and get milk from a neighbour. We also grow most of our own vegetables so don't need to buy much at all. In fact, we are organic farmers so we sell quite a lot of organic produce, mostly vegetables.

I look at the ingredients list before I decide if I want to pay or rather, before I decide if it actually is edible, so very few tubs, tubes, bottles and other containers in my household has more than two things on the ingredient list.
How lovely that you are able to produce most of your own food and you know there are no additives or any nasties in it.
Is Sauerkraut fermented I have a jar in the cupboard and have not really known if it is ok on a diabetic diet

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Undeserving authority figures of all kinds and idiots.
What foods are processed? A good starting rule is "Anything that comes in a box"

Reactions: 4 people
A

AnnieC

You've identified quite a few there Annie and the list is endless tbh, even down to seasoning's like salt & pepper. I do think it's hard to avoid processed food completely and it always brings a smile to my face when people say they don't eat any :)
Wow I would never have even given seasonings a thought as to being processed but of course they are and I use quite a lot of different ones in my cooking. I think you are right its not possible to avoid every thing thats processed. I am happy though that I don't eat the most obviously bad ones except occasionally when I do have salami and ham

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Wow I would never have even given seasonings a thought as to being processed but of course they are and I use quite a lot of different ones in my cooking. I think you are right its not possible to avoid every thing thats processed. I am happy though that I don't eat the most obviously bad ones except occasionally when I do have salami and ham

It is very difficult to avoid processed foods but as you say Annie it's best to avoid the obvious or only eat them as a treat.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As a type 2 diabetic I find that avoiding ready made foods which have flour or sugar in them is necessary. The sugar is added to drinks and food to make them addictive and flour is often added to food to bulk it out cheaply. Sometimes they refer to the bulking agent as rusk but rusk is just bread really.

I have found these products seriously raise my blood sugar. Kievs, goujons, dipppers, nuggets, and to a lesser extent sausages according to their quality. Other people have reported that the meat in a kebab has rusk added. These are the sort of foods which should be avoided if possibe.

It goes without saying that bread and cake are off the menu for most people.

captainpixie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots, bullies,politicians, David Cameron, Nick Clegg, Ian Duncan smith, racist, homophobes, people unwilling to learn, to tolerate, to listen and in turn be listened too. animal abuser's and people who just don't think about what they say and how it can or could affect the people around them.
I can add that once you cut out allot of the processed crude from your diet, do NOT go back for whatever reason! it's...painful!

Our kitchen is being refitted at the moment so we have no cooker only a toaster, kettle and a microwave so it's been hard to cook. I had a pot noodle last night (I know, I know but it's only the once) because it was the only thing I could have as I'd forgotten to defrost some chicken the night before and let's just say I'm feeling it today. my bodys no longer used to this stuff so it's reacting badly! I feel awful!

so really when you've cut back on all that processed stuff you'll be able to tell a bit easier what is ok and what isn't, or your body will anyways :)

thats what I've found over the last month!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Pot Noodles..............are you a student :D

captainpixie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots, bullies,politicians, David Cameron, Nick Clegg, Ian Duncan smith, racist, homophobes, people unwilling to learn, to tolerate, to listen and in turn be listened too. animal abuser's and people who just don't think about what they say and how it can or could affect the people around them.
funny you should mention that lol :D first year student, FdA in Graphic Design :p