Product Design- Insulin Pen case

Connah_W

I'm currently studying product design at Leeds Beckett Uni and I'm designing a case to hold insulin pens.

The idea behind this is that many products can look medical so this new product should look more appealing and modern, If you have time it would be incredibly helpful if you could answer this short questionnaire that would help further the design.I have a some designs that I would like feedback on shown below.

1. Do you believe that current products in this market look 'medical' or are unappealing?

2. Would you buy a case like this? And how much would you be willing to pay for one?

3. What do you injection equipment do you carry on a daily basis? what would you want a case like this to carry?

4. Do you feel self conscious when injecting outside the home/ in public? And do you think this can be lessened through the use of product design?

The designs shown below are initial concepts, and your feedback would be invaluable to further the designs.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@Connah_W I can't see any pics there?

I don't think my pen case looks medical. It looks like a glasses case or a smart leather-look pencil case, I think. In fact, I'm always scared someone will mistake it for that and pick it up by mistake! Slightly joking there, but it looks fine :)

Also, each pen case fits the particular insulin pen exactly, and I like that the pen is held firm and 'cushioned'.

Edited to add that I mean the pen case that came free with my pen

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Don't take this the wrong way, but the Novopens don't look particularly medical in their sleek metallic skins. The number of times I've had people pick them up thinking, mistakenly, they were something to write with has been phenomenal.

Reactions: 2 people
S

Shar67

I think there is never enough room, in the, I want to carry everything in one case, I use a silk and leather pencil case but it could be better.
I would like a case similar to the ones that come with some types of insulin pens but with more storage, I would like something in leather, with a build in small sharps box, pen needle storage, lancet and strips and BG monitor. Something like a travel kit you got in the early 1900s it would be the size of a good book.

If I found the right product I would be happy to pay £50+

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people

paulliljeros

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
I agree with Tim that they often don't look medical, but the issue for me is finding something that holds all the items I want. because my items are probably different shapes and sizes to many other people's, it means my ideal case would be almost useless for someone else. have you considered a modular design that could be attached together, so that different size pieces could be bought and fitted. My requirements for dexcom and accuchek mobile is slightly different from someone else who may only have a BG meter, with strips and lancet and my novopen storage is definitely different to someone who has a pump, etc.

Dannyb87

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I agree with Tim that they often don't look medical, but the issue for me is finding something that holds all the items I want. because my items are probably different shapes and sizes to many other people's, it means my ideal case would be almost useless for someone else. have you considered a modular design that could be attached together, so that different size pieces could be bought and fitted. My requirements for dexcom and accuchek mobile is slightly different from someone else who may only have a BG meter, with strips and lancet and my novopen storage is definitely different to someone who has a pump, etc.
Definitely agree, got given a case with my third kit, in as many weeks lol. Got home to find I could fit anything in it! Atm I'm using a messenger bag with EVERYTHING in it inc my iPad, note book to record all my readings, activity, snacks etc etc, and then have a wash bag for my kit inside, a pencil case inside that, for sharps on the go. I find a disabled toilet to inject myself if I'm out when I need to, put my bag down, normally on a fold out changer, and sort myself out in there lol.