Prof Taylor's reply on fat in Newcastle diet

Paul59

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
In my experience of trying to be healthier, cutting sugar alone didn't do an awful lot.
It wasn't until I did without the carbs did I start to see the benefits.
Carbs are turned into glucose and glucagon in your bloodstream and they I believe do the real damage to your endocrine system.
It is in fact the sugars, the carbs and the polyunsaturated fats including trans fats that is causing the diabetic epidemic.
All depends on which carbs.

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
To my knowledge the loss, rather than speed of said loss, being critical has always been his belief. I must admit I took heart from that statement when I "discovered" the ND a short while after diagnosis.

@jack412 - I wrote to Prof Taylor a while ago, and similarly received a prompt and very personal response. I was and remain impressed by the man.

Yes but it is nice to see it reaffirmed in this email. I think that our health care providers could take a leaf out of his book for his caring and professional attitude. I think the advantage of the ND is it's brevity which theoretically allows GP surgeries to offer a structured short term support plan to those willing to try it. Ideally diabetic support over a longer term should be available at our surgeries to those willing to embrace weight loss and dietary changes but given the nature of the financial beast, I'm more hopeful that the former may be achievable than the latter.

Reactions: 2 people
K

Kat100

I have had gallstones for the last 20years,found through testing for somthing else,I have never had any problems until last week when I developed acute pancreaitis and was in hospital for four days,the pain was agony.
I have been on LCHF since last June and lost a stone in weight,although I dont need to lose weight.
I havent gone mad with fats but enjoyed butter,cream,cheese,
The consultant advised me that weight loss and added fat had caused a gallstone to move,
Blood tests show the pancreas has settled,and its thought the stone has passed.
I have been advised to cut the fat to a minimum,and have my gall bladder removed.
Hi @Patricia21 glad all has settled down , pancreatitis really nasty ....hope you are still getting plenty of rest ...in the sun of course ...:) just to remind you it is still freezing here .....burrrrrrgh ....
Hope you can have your gallbladder removed soon , they usually don't leave it to long ....all to help you make a faster and healthy recovery ...
Ok back to my blanket ....take care ...Kat

Reactions: 2 people

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have had gallstones for the last 20years,found through testing for somthing else,I have never had any problems until last week when I developed acute pancreaitis and was in hospital for four days,the pain was agony.
I have been on LCHF since last June and lost a stone in weight,although I dont need to lose weight.
I havent gone mad with fats but enjoyed butter,cream,cheese,
The consultant advised me that weight loss and added fat had caused a gallstone to move,
Blood tests show the pancreas has settled,and its thought the stone has passed.
I have been advised to cut the fat to a minimum,and have my gall bladder removed.

You have my utmost sympathy, @Patricia21 that is a very painful thing to have happen. My gallstones were quite dormant for years but when they started acting up it was agony. I would never again want to distress my pancreas. Something important for people with diabetes.

Hope you get well soon.

Reactions: 4 people
K

Kat100

You have my utmost sympathy, @Patricia21 that is a very painful thing to have happen. My gallstones were quite dormant for years but when they started acting up it was agony. I would never again want to distress my pancreas. Something important for people with diabetes.

Hope you get well soon.
So true @Pipp it was agony I would never want that pain again ....