Proposed reduction in health checks

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Seems like bad management on the chemists part, and not good from gp either, glad you got it yesterday.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi,

Years ago. Before all this block booking for "jab days." I'm talking "flu" down the local surgery..
When I went for a checkup to see a DSN, they did the vaxing there & then.? (Part of the service.)

It's a pitty that can't be put into practice for the "regulars," consultations & wot not?
"Mr Lee, here is your A1c, I also notice you're due for a booster too."
Save time regarding a separate appointment slot just for a jab??
Those were the days , my friend.
Nurse used to draw blood for testing, too. Now we have to go online, and book an appointment at a community health facility. My nearest is three miles away. Yesterday I tried. Nothing available for a few weeks. If you cannot book online you have to phone and can be waiting in a queue for a long time until you hit the jackpot, and get a human, who will tell you there are no current appointments until more are released, so you need to phone back. Alternatively, a robot pays Vivaldi music interspersed with a voice telling you your number in the queue. Then the phone cuts off. I worry for those who have no Internet skills, or the funds to buy time on the phone.

My GP was ahead of the game. Has been , for at least five years, using locum nurse practitioners for all a GP used to do. Hasn’t been doing the covid jabs, so far, but is gearing up to offer the boosters on Sundays. Hmm, cynical me wonders why Sundays.

I have been getting on much better without the monitoring and advice of HCPs, for now, but I do have concerns that the way things are moving is a hastened dismantling of our NHS.

Reactions: Fenn and OrsonKartt

Outlier

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If the money taken from us for the NHS was actually allocated to it, there wouldn't be such a shortfall, but National Insurance and taxes have always been too tempting a money pot for politicians to dip into.

That and terrible management. Anyone who has been in hospital as a patient can always see ways to cut costs and reduce stress levels in frontline staff.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Aa @bulkbiker says in 'saving the NHS' by trying not to use it for non covid things, we seem to be destroying it. Looking at Twitter GPs they seem to be saying that unofficially conscientious GPs will continue to monitor known vulnerable patients. However since GP surgeries are a business it is obvious that they will respond to the £20 per jab incentive whilst still being paid to NOT do the regular checks.

(mod edit)

Last edited by a moderator:

mahola

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't see how they can reduce my "health checks" any further.

In my almost 6 years of being diagnosed I've seen my nurse maybe 6 times, my consultant 3 times and the GP once and he tried to tell me I could reverse my diabetes through diet and exercise

I had a breakdown,. Tried to off myself twice with insulin. The last time was in January this year. I'm still waiting for the diabetes team to get in touch with me!

Complete joke. Stuff 'Em.

Ushthetaff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mountain out of mole hill makers ,queues , crowds , shopping on a Saturday hmm just shopping I guess no matter what day it is
This is totally my personal opinion , at some point we have to realise we ain’t going to get rid of Covid it’s here to stay, just like the flu is here to stay , we get yearly jabs for flu , and let’s face it it mutates all the time ( sound familiar) plus we accept and advertise the fact that on average 11, 000 people die from it every year, ( except in the winter of 2017 when that number was nearer 50,000) and we never socially distanced wore masks etc , if we don’t learn to live with covid then the system of face to face appointments clinics etc will disappear, if we don’t learn to live with it then the old vicious circle appears where we can’t get treatment cause of covid so more people die of things they weren’t before , think it’s about trying to find some perspective , what happens when everyone in the world is double jabbed and people still die from it

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
This is totally my personal opinion , at some point we have to realise we ain’t going to get rid of Covid it’s here to stay, just like the flu is here to stay , we get yearly jabs for flu , and let’s face it it mutates all the time ( sound familiar) plus we accept and advertise the fact that on average 11, 000 people die from it every year, ( except in the winter of 2017 when that number was nearer 50,000) and we never socially distanced wore masks etc , if we don’t learn to live with covid then the system of face to face appointments clinics etc will disappear, if we don’t learn to live with it then the old vicious circle appears where we can’t get treatment cause of covid so more people die of things they weren’t before , think it’s about trying to find some perspective , what happens when everyone in the world is double jabbed and people still die from it
Because we neglected to do the right thing in 2017 does not mean we should be as complacent now. Because one thing the covid pandemic has shown us with the use of masks and other precautions taken for covid the flu was severely curtailed as well.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Because we neglected to do the right thing in 2017 does not mean we should be as complacent now. Because one thing the covid pandemic has shown us with the use of masks and other precautions taken for covid the flu was severely curtailed as well.
I agree. Plus, the vaccines do not eradicate risk, they reduce the severity of the disease. That is all they do. We do not yet have what I consider to be a proper vaccine.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
the use of masks and other precautions taken for covid the flu was severely curtailed as well.

So they impacted on flu but not COVID? Or maybe the flu was just mis-identified as COVID.

Still not a decent reason to abandon NHS users especially the old who will have contributed far more to the pot.

Outlier

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think the status of us oldies who have contributed so much is judged on how much more we are likely to contribute vs how much we are likely to use. Not that I'm cynical or anything.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I also thinking 50,000 people a day testing positive is horrific
A positive test does not mean they are infected, infectious or even ill...

The NHS needs to stop concentrating on one problem and start widening the scope to treat all conditions with equanimity.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This thread is about GP provision for ongoing conditions.

NOT the efficacy of masks, vaccines, definition of flu or covid, or discussions about hospital beds.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
This thread is about GP provision for ongoing conditions.

NOT the efficacy of masks, vaccines, definition of flu or covid, or discussions about hospital beds.
What she said.

Some posts have already been deleted, posting further off topic content is likely to lead to thread bans.

Peter03

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
You're not getting old or grumpy. I feel the same way, and I live in a different country with a different "healthcare" (non)system.

Unless of course I'm getting old and grumpy too. ;)
I live in France and I have to say the health system is excellent, I see a doctor every 3 months a diabetic consultant every 6 months and a pump nurse every 6 months may be I am just lucky but it has been the same for the last 27 years