Type 1 Protein Breakfast

Ellana 2

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi i was told by my dsn to have a protein breakfaast rather than a carb breakfast as it’s making my bg spike all I can think of is eating eggs which I’m sick of eating what else do you all have thanks

D

Deleted Account

Bacon.
Good quality sausages (ones not filled out with breadcrumbs).

Or, variations on eggs.
I like egg muffins which are like mini omelettes baked in the oven in muffin cases which I fill with whatever veg I have in the cupboard (mushrooms, courgettes, peppers, spring onions, spinach, ...), cheese and often chilli sauce like Piri piri sauce.
I chop all the ingredients up into small cubes and beat into some egg. Pour into muffin cases. Bake for 20 minutes on a moderate oven (gas mark 4).
These can be eaten straight away, cold the next day or heated up in the microwave.

Alternatively, you could try yoghurt with a few berries.
This is not as proteiny as eggs and includes some carbs but if you chose something like full fat Greek Yoghurt and add your own berries, it is low carb.

Ellana 2

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I’m really confused I was told to have more of a protein based breakfast but do I not have to have carbs too otherwise I won’t be able to bolus

D

Deleted Account

I’m really confused I was told to have more of a protein based breakfast but do I not have to have carbs too otherwise I won’t be able to bolus
A few things to consider
- if you do not eat carbs, some people find their body will convert fat and/or protein into glucose so you may need to bolus.
- if you do not eat carbs, some people find they do not need to bolus.
- if your BG is high, you can bolus without eating any carbs

Unfortunately we are all different (and not doctors) so we cannot advise how much insulin you will need. It may take some trial and error to work out how protein heavy meals affect your BG and what your correct dose is when your BG goes high.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I do not take any medication - but for me breakfast is just another meal, so although I do eat eggs from time to time I am far more likely to be eating a chop or kippers, or chicken - even steak - just like someone would be eating a couple of centuries back before someone thought that breakfast cereals would be a real money spinner.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Smoked salmon :)

Or avocado with some peanut/almond butter, I love that.

You may need to inject a little for the protein, I have half the dose I would for carbs. It’ll need a little experimentation, but for the abve two and eggs, I don’t need to, I just dose for whatever the carb content is but extend it over an hour. That seems to cover it.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Protein always spikes me in the morning when I’m most insulin resistant.
I used to have avocado or salad without protein and saved protein for later in the day. Now I have half of a grass fed beef hotdog but I eat zero carbs now. Just meat. I still bolus as I get the morning rise from cartisol and adrenaline. But I did loads of testing to find a good routine. At least as good as diabetes allows.

Reactions: Bluetit1802