borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
AMBrennan said:
Recipe for a safe protein shake:
Put some steak and some cream in a blender.
Drink.
I thought the point of those shakes was both price (not that you could tell from the high street prices, but whey protein is basically industrial waste from the cheese industry) and logistical convenience (I can keep a tub with a month's supply in my cupboard, which would be difficult to do with steak...)

I'm not sure that blended steak would satisfy either requirement.

I was being facetious. My point is that whole food sources of protein are better than mechanically recovered / chemically enhanced proten shakes.

Having said that, I do understand where Swim is coming from, on a low-carb diet it's kinda tough to find "fun" things to eat, and protein shakes are relatively low-carb alternatives to milk shakes. I have a huge tub of PhD Cookies and Cream protein powder gathering dust under my desk.

I've thought a lot about this. On a low-carb diet, my food choices are limited. I prefer to spend my protein allocation on meat (and eggs) rather than unsubstantial shakes. But if you're using the shakes for meal replacement, then I don't see much of a problem.

Kron

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hello all, just going to bump this old thread for some advice.

I have just stated to make green smoothies in the morning for breakfast then off to work.

The idea is to help me lose weight around the stomach, as this is where I am big.

I'm 105kg and 6feet tall and type 2. Now I have read that protein in the smoothies will help me by making me less hungry and tiding me over until lunch where I'm having just a low calb sandwich (salmon and cucumber) but I'm unsure what protein power to get as there are so many and even if I should get some at all. Any advice would be great thank you.

fene48

Modest carbs (according to what your body copes with), healthy fats, low GI foods and protein 1 -1.5g per kg body weight and exercise, exercise and exercise - particularly the resistance type worked for me. Whey protein supplements seem OK too. My dietician/nutritionist suggested low carb protein shake of up to 20g taken within an hour of exercise - apparently it is easier to digest in that form.
To keep the weight off in the long term you must preserve your muscle mass. Two key things appear to be protein 1-2g per kg body weight and resistance exercise. For more "whys" look up the July16 newsletter of the Joslin Diabetic Centre at www.joslin.org (the world largest diabetic treatment/research organisation).
Best of luck and happy exercising.

Reactions: 2 people

Kron

Type of diabetes
Type 2
My job keeps be busy, 8 hours on my feet 5 days a week, can walk up to 5 miles a day plus heavy lifting and pulling, I don't get much time to go to a gym, what with family at home and the time I start and finish work, I have lost weight from my shoulders and face but it's the stomach that's the problem right now. that's why I was thinking of protein power to help keep the muscle going and burn more of the front fat.