Provisional licence for my 17 year old!

poshpaddy71

Morning all,

my son was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes on the 25th Sept this year.
He has applied for his DVLA provisional licence at the weekend but it said on the on-line application that it will need to be referred because he declared his diabetes.
Has anyone any experience in this? Will his application be granted?
HELP!
many thanks
Caroline

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
If his diabetes is well-controlled, yes :)

He'll need to fill in medical forms. It's also important that he tells his insurance company.

When he gets his full licence, he'll have to renew it frequently - ie it won't last till age 70. People with Type 1 get licences for 1,2 or 3 years currently.

poshpaddy71

If his diabetes is well-controlled, yes :)

He'll need to fill in medical forms. It's also important that he tells his insurance company.

When he gets his full licence, he'll have to renew it frequently - ie it won't last till age 70. People with Type 1 get licences for 1,2 or 3 years currently.

Thanks Azure, he hasn't started driving lessons yet and we haven't even looked at the insurance part yet but I expect its going to be even higher for him. Dreading it!

Natalie1974

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @poshpaddy71. I think I'm correct in saying that although you have to notify the insurance company...it shouldn't effect the premium. That's jumping the gun a little anyway...he needs to pass his test first :)
My daughter passed her test last year...the first years insurance was enormously expensive...even with advanced driving test and the little box installed...I wish you both luck with it all.

Reactions: 4 people

BeccyB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
When I was 17 my Dad's insurance company wouldn't insure a diabetic on a provisional licence so he couldn't give me lessons (or maybe that was just his excuse!! :) ) That was a very long time ago though so hopefully things have changed.

I never had any trouble renewing my licence though - you just need to remember to do it!

Reactions: 2 people

izzyj09

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi,
I'm 19 and passed my driving test 2 years ago, and all that had to happen to me was my consultant just had to write a letter to the dvla to say that I was hypo aware, and I've been given my driving licence for ages. I just have to every 10 years get my consultant to write a letter again ! That's it. The only thing you might want to note is that when I first started to drive it through my blood sugars down because of the concentration I think.
Hope this helps

Reactions: 2 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
My daughter passed her test last year...the first years insurance was enormously expensive...even with advanced driving test and the little box installed...I wish you both luck with it all.

It's a disgrace what they charge young drivers @Natalie1974, my lad was paying nearly £2000 to insure his car when he first passed his test, now 4 years later he is paying £400, this despite having a newer car too. Obviously statistically they are more of a risk but some of the quotes are ridiculously xpensive for newly qualified drivers.

@poshpaddy71, hope your lad gets through his test and gets a decent price on his insurance, we always use the price comparison sites for cheap insurance.