Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
jwilki said:
My HbA1c is now 4% and bloods average 5.4 and I have very good control. But this was not always the case, and this is what caused the problem in the first place. :(

I would be very interested to know what your diet is like now to get such good results. Congratulations! Please share with us :)

jwilki

Type of diabetes
Type 2
As I live in Cyprus my main diet involves a lot of protein i.e. fish, chicken, Pork. I mainly have Fish in my diet and two - three times a week have pork or chicken, I restrict myself to one main meal a day normally early evening and will eat out, normally a fish or meat meze, at least once a week. I have a very low carb intake and snack on fruit, olives +++ which I find gives me the energy I lose from low carbs. really it is a Mediterranean diet most of the time.

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
So very low carb rocks :wink: Thanks for that :)

jwilki

Type of diabetes
Type 2
You are welcome :D
Just to add to the stats on this my last Cholesterol ratio total was 2.7% so I believe balancing protein with fruit, olives +++ works very well, not only for blood sugars.

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
That's a lot better than mine. Will follow your example :)

HpprKM

Dislikes
Self absorbed and rude people! Motorists who are oblivious to the rest of the world, and really don't give a ****!
Keith,

So sorry to learn of your suffering, but really pleased to see that you are making progress towards some kind of recovery. I admire your spirit and attitude towards this painful problem and how you are giving hope to other sufferers. It is really good to know with the right management the PN can be limited.

Wishing you well and every successful in your fight :)

Ardbeg

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self serving politicians
Hi Keith,

I can thoroughly recommend Benfotamaine capsules.

They cost me about £10 per month buying them online from USA, but I'm sure I've read on here previously that there is an NHS equivalent you can get on prescription.

At my last check up i took my Benfotamaine capsules into the GP's for them to look at. they were ok with me taking them, but refused my request to have this on prescription.

In my case, £10 is a small price to pay to have the pains in my hands and feet taken away.

It might also be relevent to disclose that I've in the past also had trouble with pains in my heel and knees. Planter facitus i think it was called, heel spur. This was remedied by fitting inserts into my shoes to align my stance. I have these inserts in all my shoes now and no more heel, knee or lower back pain. :D

jwilki

Type of diabetes
Type 2
OK back again. Still have the same problems and pain, but off to the Cyprus Institute of Neurology and Genetics in Nicosia on Monday for more tests. Neurologist said the problems I have has been caused by the diabetes but they do not understand why with the good control I have this has not got any better.
Still getting around and the hand controls in my car have been a lifesaver. This is painful at times but liveable with and when you look around there are a lot of people worse off.
Will keep you all informed of any news regarding this Proximal neuropathy.

HpprKM

Dislikes
Self absorbed and rude people! Motorists who are oblivious to the rest of the world, and really don't give a ****!
jwilki said:
OK back again. Still have the same problems and pain, but off to the Cyprus Institute of Neurology and Genetics in Nicosia on Monday for more tests. Neurologist said the problems I have has been caused by the diabetes but they do not understand why with the good control I have this has not got any better.
Still getting around and the hand controls in my car have been a lifesaver. This is painful at times but liveable with and when you look around there are a lot of people worse off.
Will keep you all informed of any news regarding this Proximal neuropathy.

Just to wish you success and to hope that they can help you with this. Do let us know of the outcome. :D