psoriasis & type 2 diabetes

Isalbo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi, recently diagnosed with type 2 & dealing with psoriasis for over 30 years. With diabetes under control, is there hope to see psoriasis disappear? any connection between the 2? thanks

Geordie_P

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I'm more optimistic: the two things might not be directly related, but if psoriasis is related to your immune system, and if stress and infections exacerbate it, then I would imagine getting your T2 under control might have a good effect on your psoriasis.

Reactions: Liam1955

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
It is said that some (not all) sufferers show a lessening of symptoms of psoriasis on a lower carb diet. As lowering carbs even slightly does no harm then it is worth giving it a try.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have found that by strictly cutting out wheat and gluten my psoriasis has almost cleared up, while my blood glucose levels have evened out a great deal. It seems that gluten was upsetting my immune system and affecting my glucose levels.

However, my type 2 is atypical in a number of ways. So I have no idea if anyone else has type 2 that may be affected by food intolerances/allergies. And if they do, their trigger foods may be very different from mine.

woodenone46

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I do not think there is any connection between the two. Do not want to put any spanner in the works but if you have been dealing with psoriasis for over 30 years then you may never be completely free of it I have had psoriasis since I was 17years old & I am know 71 & still have it.
Just keep on treating it one never knows

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There is a definite connection between the two - there's is lots on the net out there if you google it. Mine hasn't disappeared altogether but I have had a massive improvement- some bits that I have had for over 30 years have now gone. I had a lot in my scalp causing bald patches for many years - all those have now gone, only thing is I also have psoriatic arthritis- whilst that hasn't improved much it certainly hasn't gotten any worse

carol43

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I had psoriasis since I was 6 years old but it went completely when I went through early menopause in my forties. I am 71 this year and I occasionally get one spot but I always have a tube of Dermovate handy just in case, this was the only thing that helped..

CoastGirl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Mine has cleared completely on a low carb diet. Psoriasis was diagnosed at the same time as type 2 so think there can be a definite connection. Not sure if it's the low carb diet, reduction in bg or both that has solved the problem.

Isalbo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thank you all for your replies & sharing your experiences. Starting the new year on keto diet. I will be happy & consider a success any improvement on my skin. Would be great to kill 2 birds with one stone. (I’m not sure I can say this idiom in that context, as English is not my native language).

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anti-Gay People, Self Centre People, Two Faced People and Bad Language.
Hi @Isalbo
I have had Psoriasis for 45 years (since 18 years old) and it was only ever a few patches on elbows and knees for many years.
Then I was "eventually" diagnosed with Type 2 in the year 2000 and since my Psoriasis has erupted/flared up quite badly many times.

tricia1mumsie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have had psoriasis since I was 4 years old. It does get worse when my bg is high, but I have found that low carb certainly helps.

The psoriasis was at its worse when I was prescribed Atenolol for high blood pressure. There was no indication on the leaflet (some years ago now) that people with psoriasis should not take it as it could make it much worse, or could even cause people to develop psoriasis (there is now). I suffered for years with worsening psoriasis, constantly using steroid ointment to give some relief. However, I re-checked the leaflets on my medication last year and realised that I should never have been prescribed Atenolol in the first place. Once I realised this - none of my GP staff had made the connection -, some years after having been prescribed the drug, I insisted on being taken off it. One of the GPs at my practice told me off for reading the leaflets and was extremely patronising "you should not read the leaflets as you will just imagine that you have all the possible side effects, I know you". As a woman of mature years, I have become accustomed to being patronised, but this GP was another woman (whom I had met only 4 or 5 times) accusing me of being over anxious - I have never been like that.

Getting back to your query, I have recently read an article that indicates that diabetes is closely connected with psoriasis genetically - sorry I do not remember where I saw the article, it may have been on the psoriasis association website. My point is, check any other medication you are on for any linked side effects - not just the leaflets, but online where there is often more information. There is a website where you can enter your list of medications and it will tell you where there are any negative interactions - just google drug interactions.

I am on the low carb (keto) diet and my psoriasis is considerably better, although it is still there, this is the first winter for many years when it has been minimal and bearable.

Good luck.

Angela936

I've had psoriasis for 52 years, started low carb and metformin in december 2017 and this week have noticed a huge difference in my psoriasis, particularly my hands and behind my ears, can hardly see any of it there now, hoping continuing on the low carb will continue to improve my skin :)

Caro777

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi. I was diagnosed with T2D at the end of last year. I have had a form of inflammatory arthritis for 10 years. It was thought to be psoriatic but no psoriasis until a couple of weeks ago when it appeared on my scalp. Just after I started on Metformin too. It is either a huge coincidence or there is some connection somewhere! I have just been given treatment for the psoriasis.

Angie-B

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I've had psoriasis for 52 years, started low carb and metformin in december 2017 and this week have noticed a huge difference in my psoriasis, particularly my hands and behind my ears, can hardly see any of it there now, hoping continuing on the low carb will continue to improve my skin :)
No in a word x

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Hi, recently diagnosed with type 2 & dealing with psoriasis for over 30 years. With diabetes under control, is there hope to see psoriasis disappear? any connection between the 2? thanks
Using steroid cream or steroid tablets can cause type2 diabetes.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I was shock to find my son covered from Tonsillitis so took him back to Dr's to discover psoriasis is common from bacterial infections. Not all psoriasis thou.

Marjack

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Ignorant attitudes towards other people
I also have psoriasis and type 2, the psoriasis was diagnosed after the type 2, I had it prior, it was just never picked up. I don't see any changes myself, I still have flare ups that last for ages sometimes, and doesn't seem to be related to my sugars at all

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anti-Gay People, Self Centre People, Two Faced People and Bad Language.
I also have Psoriasis and up and until I was diagnosed with Type 2 in 2000 there was nothing really to see.
But, in the last 18 years since being diagnosed with Type 2 my Psoriasis has erupted quite severe several times, even as I type this I am suffering with an outbreak.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I also have Psoriasis and up and until I was diagnosed with Type 2 in 2000 there was nothing really to see.
But, in the last 18 years since being diagnosed with Type 2 my Psoriasis has erupted quite severe several times, even as I type this I am suffering with an outbreak.
What helps @Liam1955 ??
Less stress?

4yr old got it after scarlet fever attack. No sign of it anywhere now.
It's unbelievable but it was very prominent on his lower limbs only and now invisible. Mr ickihun's family get ecma and asthma.
Definitely a nerve reaction, little one experienced, with Scarlet face and body but lower legs of psoriasis. It was very scary to see. Poor thing.