Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Did my bp this morning as I normally do once a week, and was pleased with my result of 109/65, but my pulse was 78. It's mostly in and around this figure, but read on google that a optimum pulse rate for men should be around 60, and those that are above 75 are more at risk of heart related conditions :( any views?

Nigel

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Not sure if this is what you came across Nigel......

http://www.ehow.com/about_5107963_norma ... e-men.html

As you can see from the article pulse rates vary from person to person and differeing factors have an effect.

Measuring your resting pulse rate is one of the best predictors of longevity. Men with a lower resting rate are much less likely to die of a heart attack and tend to be healthier in general.
ALSO:
The best time to check your resting pulse rate is right before you get out of bed in the morning. The normal rate for an adult male is between 60 and 100 beats per minute. For an endurance athlete, the resting heart rate will typically be lower, indicating a more efficient heart function.

So, Nigel it doesn't look too bad for you..........unless of course you are planning to take up elite sports.... :wink:

Ken

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Thanks Ken, that is the very same article that I read, the bit about above 75 did concern me, but couldn't see any other reference to it on any other sites. In truthfulness, my gp and nurse have never mentioned it before so I guess that is some reassurance.

As for elite sports...............no thanks I'll stick with my bike and walking the dog! :)

Nigel

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Most of the ones I trust for good info all say pretty much the same thing.......WebMD for instance has a chart for the different age groups,

For an Adult.....60 -100 bpm seems to be the norm. Mine varies but is usually around the 60 - 80 mark. (BP 110/69. Pulse 69) Still if you look at my past medical history I suppose that's not too bad !!

BTW, didn't know you could get 'Penny Farthing's any more..... :D You be careful you old bu**er ! :wink:

Ken

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If Nigel was riding a pennyfarthing I would class tha as an extreme sport :!:

cugila

Master
Dislikes
carty said:

I think I would call it a miracle ! :lol: Anyway, sport....Nigel.....extreme........nah ! :wink:

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
cugila said:
carty said:

I think I would call it a miracle ! :lol: Anyway, sport....Nigel.....extreme........nah ! :wink:

Well maybe your right there Ken, but I did do boxing when I was a lad and never lost my touch..........so watch your step! :evil:

Nigel

cugila

Master
Dislikes
Ooooooooowwwwwhhh..........now where have I heard that before....... 8) OK Rocky. 8)

Ken

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Just tested my BP and got a 115/71 and a pulse rate of 89! :shock: which is about average for me.

Seems a miracle I'm still alive :lol: