Pump (and Life) Upgrade

aphex2k

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that talk with their mouths full of food.
Never had any leaks - what size is the cannula? Wonder if you're using a 6mm and maybe a larger 8mm might work better for you? Could also try some over tape on top of the cannula, something like Fixomlul is great as it's tacky and flexible. We had up to around 35 end of last week and it's getting warmer as we head towards Chrissy

There is also some stuff which I can't remember the name of but it's kind of a skin prep that cleans and makes the area super tacky...

edit: ah... skin-tac
https://www.totaldiabetessupply.com/products/torbot-skin-tac-adhesive-barrier-prep-wipe-50ct

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Thank you @aphex2k, I use a 6 mm as the longer polythene ones bend whether 90 degrees or 30 degree approach.
So I am tying the metal cannulas. Today with 33 degrees C I use a cold pack over the insertion site with single layer singlet between. Seems to work OK.
I shall try out the skin tac also for those extra hot and sweaty days and let you know how it goes !! !!

Reactions: aphex2k

aphex2k

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Well... On an idiot scale of 1 to 10......I'm a big fat 10. I took my pump off after a run. Put it on the roof of the car. Can you see where this is going? Bingo. Lost pump. Drive back over the route 3 times. I'm hoping someone has found it and will hand it in to the cops.... But it happened at 7pm and our lovely city cop shop closes at 4pm. Apparently there's mo criminals after 4pm...

Fortunately I've got some pen tips but I only have novorapid, no lantus. I also have the option of my old accuchek pump assuming all of the bits are there. Argh. Eejut.

Doubt it will be covered by car insurance. Just as unlikely to be covered by home insurance. And I sent back the old one at lunch time today (the one I lost was my new one which was only set up last night.

Feeling like a prat.

D

Deleted Account

Well... On an idiot scale of 1 to 10......I'm a big fat 10. I took my pump off after a run. Put it on the roof of the car. Can you see where this is going? Bingo. Lost pump. Drive back over the route 3 times. I'm hoping someone has found it and will hand it in to the cops.... But it happened at 7pm and our lovely city cop shop closes at 4pm. Apparently there's mo criminals after 4pm...

Fortunately I've got some pen tips but I only have novorapid, no lantus. I also have the option of my old accuchek pump assuming all of the bits are there. Argh. Eejut.

Doubt it will be covered by car insurance. Just as unlikely to be covered by home insurance. And I sent back the old one at lunch time today (the one I lost was my new one which was only set up last night.

Feeling like a prat.
This is one of my nightmare scenarios. Thankfully, I have never achieved it yet but every time I take my pump off in the gym changing rooms, I check and double check I have locked it away. I fear I will get complacent one day and never see it again.

My DSN ensured I had both NovoRapid and Lantus pens as a pump backup. They come with me every time I spend a night away from home and were needed when my pump failed earlier in the year.
It feels like a waste of insulin (and taxpayers' money) every time I take the cartridge out of the fridge but I guess my life is worth it.

If you haven't already, I highly recommend getting Lantus cartridges on your prescription and making sure you have some (in date) in your fridge.

Fingers crossed you get a replacement pump as soon as possible.

aphex2k

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
This is one of my nightmare scenarios. Thankfully, I have never achieved it yet but every time I take my pump off in the gym changing rooms, I check and double check I have locked it away. I fear I will get complacent one day and never see it again.

My DSN ensured I had both NovoRapid and Lantus pens as a pump backup. They come with me every time I spend a night away from home and were needed when my pump failed earlier in the year.
It feels like a waste of insulin (and taxpayers' money) every time I take the cartridge out of the fridge but I guess my life is worth it.

If you haven't already, I highly recommend getting Lantus cartridges on your prescription and making sure you have some (in date) in your fridge.

Fingers crossed you get a replacement pump as soon as possible.
Yeah I can pick up some lantus tomorrow. As to how to get a replacement pump. Not sure. I'll ring Medtronic in the morning and call my insurance and health fund. I may be able to blag it. It's a horrible feeling and it was totally my fault, just a few seconds of not thinking. I drove about 3km. Panicked. Pulled over and checked the car. And drove back.

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Yeah I can pick up some lantus tomorrow. As to how to get a replacement pump. Not sure. I'll ring Medtronic in the morning and call my insurance and health fund. I may be able to blag it. It's a horrible feeling and it was totally my fault, just a few seconds of not thinking. I drove about 3km. Panicked. Pulled over and checked the car. And drove back.
Hi @aphex2k, I feel for you. It could happen to any of us in a million and one different ways. I know that with a past Animas pump I was trying to clean out the grove where the pump clip fits, using a small screwdriver. In this process I managed to push through the aluminium casing of the pump and that set off the pump failure signal. Animas replaced the pump with a stern warning to me !!
I wonder whether the return of the damaged or failed pump is an important 'bargaining' point in replacing pumps.
If that seems to be a sticking point for the company providing you with a new pump I wonder if there are some loop pumpers out there who have spare parts of Medtronic pumps. Maybe if they would kindly provide you with enough pump pieces that satisfy the company ?? All fingers and toes crossed.:):):)

aphex2k

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Well still not shown up. Car or home insurance wont cover loss, and Medtronic have no loss replacement deal. Health fund wont supply a new one until the warranty is out so that's 3.5 years. I've been to the docs, got a script for Lantus and gone back to injecting. Had a high of 22mmol/L today and felt awful.

On a slight plus, Medtronic have a loan program and will loan me a pump for $179 a month. I can't really afford this but I also can't afford $9000 for a new pump so looks likes it's beans on toast for the foreseeable future, unless a miracle happens and someone hands it in.

Instinctively I keep reaching for my pump to see what my BSL is. D'oh.

aphex2k

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Well still not shown up. Car or home insurance wont cover loss, and Medtronic have no loss replacement deal. Health fund wont supply a new one until the warranty is out so that's 3.5 years. I've been to the docs, got a script for Lantus and gone back to injecting. Had a high of 22mmol/L today and felt awful.

On a slight plus, Medtronic have a loan program and will loan me a pump for $179 a month. I can't really afford this but I also can't afford $9000 for a new pump so looks likes it's beans on toast for the foreseeable future, unless a miracle happens and someone hands it in.

Instinctively I keep reaching for my pump to see what my BSL is. D'oh.
Argh so after a high of 22 yesterday I was (kind of) woken by a 3am hypo at 2.1. Must have been bad as the bed was soaked in sweat. This totally sucks. Will be on the phone to Medtronic first thing Monday morning.

aphex2k

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
And another hypo last night. 230am. 2.7. This time I felt it, and I woke up. I guess your warning/awareness goes when your pump and cgm tell you you're low?

Anyway, some good news. Medtronic can supply a loan pump. It's $180 a month (on top of the $250 for the sensors, the price of consumables, and the price of insulin and test strips). I'm not going to be putting much away into savings but at least I'll get back to pumping and cgm some time soon. Annoying that the Guardian connect software for Android phones doesn't work on the newer versions of Android, only on v7 which is ridiculous. But I'm happy that I can get back on the pump. Forms and paperwork sent off today. Will do my best to avoid a hypo tonight!!!!

aphex2k

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Went to bed earlier last night so hypo woke me at 1230....and had one around 1700 previous evening too. Getting tired of this. Hurry up Medtronic please and sort me a loan pump! Zzz zzz. 3 more days at work thrm a week off. Need it!

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
So @aphex2k, is it the long acting insulin causing the persistent hypo trouble?

aphex2k

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
So @aphex2k, is it the long acting insulin causing the persistent hypo trouble?
It might be. I went back to 32u as I used to. Split 12u at 11pm and the rest at 8am. Levels are good when I go to bed. I don't recall lantus doing this tome before I went to a pump. Hmm....

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
@aphex2k, could some the the morning Lantus be acting in concert with the evening Lantus, as Lantus at least on company insulin profiles last about 24 hours +/-?

aphex2k

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
@aphex2k, could some the the morning Lantus be acting in concert with the evening Lantus, as Lantus at least on company insulin profiles last about 24 hours +/-?
Not sure... As I remember, lantus for me in one hit (32 ish units around 11pm) seemed to last around 20 hours for me which is why I split the dose. It's been over three years though so I might just try a single dose again and see how that goes. Hopefully I can get the pump quick time.... Pretty tired of broken sleep pattern at the moment.

Reactions: Jollymon

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Or would lowering the 12 units in the morning help as another alternative?? Just a thought from what you find your lantus does ???

Reactions: aphex2k

aphex2k

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
This is possible... I just don't remember my Lantus jabs causing these issues last time I was on it, it was a lot more straightforward! I hope not to have to be tweaking and experimenting for too much longer!

aphex2k

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Great news - email just came through from Medtronic - rental pump arranged and being prepped to be sent out. Probably not likely to get it before Christmas but it will be a delayed Christmas present and one I'm REALLY excited to receive. Can get back on that CGM pony and ride off into the new year.... hahaha

aphex2k

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Yay new pump arrived....boo...side gate was locked and postie just left a card. Can't pick up until the 27th. ******.

Happy Chrissy everyone. May your low carb meals be full of taste and your chosen vestebules be full of zero calorie mixers. Take it easy and step away from the selection boxes!

Mark

Reactions: porl69

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Ah ! @aphex2k, wouldn't it rot your socks !! I hope you can muddle through with the midi !!
Best Xmas Wishes to you and family also.
See diabetes-safe Xmas present ideas: www.ohdeersugar.com

aphex2k

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
4pm Christmas eve. Very nice lady at the post office retrieved my parcel. Now I have to set up a new pump..... Huzzah! Happy Christmas