Pump (and Life) Upgrade

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
You know, for a $10k pump.... The bloody belt clip is utter garbage. Constantly having to push in the hinge pin on the clip. And still not heard back from Medtronic as to why the silicone case is 3x the price here in Australia compared to US priced.
I saw on a FB page about the pins.....a few people put a drop of super glue on each end of the pins.....don't know if it will work BUT worth a try?

aphex2k

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that talk with their mouths full of food.
I saw on a FB page about the pins.....a few people put a drop of super glue on each end of the pins.....don't know if it will work BUT worth a try?
Yeah I'll give it a shot. Just seems really cheaply made and sub quality

Reactions: porl69

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Yeah I'll give it a shot. Just seems really cheaply made and sub quality
Hi @aphex2k, I know the fix-it pump accesorie mode !!
If the pins are supposed to be in contact with plastic use the Supa glue for plastics. It is distinguishable by having a prep pencil, like a texta. along with the stingy amount of tube of glue.
You rub the prep on the plastic (not needed on the metal) and then apply the supa-glue.
If you save the prep pencil/texta you can use it with the next tube of Supa-glue you buy - you do not need to buy the 'use for plastic kit' again. Just remember most supaglue sets in seconds so please have everything ready !!
But even for metal on metal the ordinary supa-glue may not stand up well to water, sweat etc.
Good luck!
Oh, do not get supa-glue on your lips, near or on your eyelids, and do not go to the loo with it on your fingers.
It can irritate the eyes so try to use in a clear, well ventilated area. An extraction fan nearby can also be helpful.
It is impossible to use and apply if you are wearing plastic (PVC, nitrile, latex) gloves of any sort.
Acetone (paint section) or the supa-glue remover gel (sold at the same Glue section of the store as the Supa-glue) will remove the stuff from fingers but, if well set, if may take several days and a bit of sandpaper.

Reactions: aphex2k

aphex2k

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Will be upgrading to a 670g very soon. Order has been placed. Wasn't sure (nor were Medtronic) if I could get a new loan pump and upgrade from the 640g, but somehow I've managed it.

Think I need to look at sensor and cannula sites as I must be hitting hard skin / fatty deposits. Had a few days where I've gone hyper, and the correction doses haven't done anything (like 2-3 corrections doses) then a couple of hours later BOOM and hypo. (Like today for example - went up to 14 and stayed up there despite corrections doses. Now from 1520 to 1600 it's a three arrow drop down to 4.8 and still two arrows going down).

Will report back when I get the 670g with initial thoughts, and follow up after a couple of weeks using auto mode.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
I'll be interested to hear how you get on @aphex2k with the 670g so do keep us posted. I have to admit I get the bad site's from time to time too, it's a case of correcting correcting then bam hypo, really difficult to manage those.

aphex2k

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I'll be interested to hear how you get on @aphex2k with the 670g so do keep us posted. I have to admit I get the bad site's from time to time too, it's a case of correcting correcting then bam hypo, really difficult to manage those.

Yeah it's a pain in the @Rse eh? (or a pain in the abdomen!)

Annoying when your 2 or 3 correction doses appear to do nothing then all of a sudden they catch up. What a silly disease. :D I'm wondering if I have an underlying cold / illness as I spiked up to 18mmol/L last night and took a couple of large correction doses to start to bring it down. Was awake a couple of times in the night with my machine telling me I'm high. I love having broken sleep, makes me feel so.....alive. zzzzzzz

Reactions: porl69

aphex2k

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
So it seems my run of silly highs were my body telling me I was getting some kind of bug. Left work early on Friday after vomiting twice and spent the weekend thowing up and awful diarhhea. Finally had enough energy to get to the walk in clinic today and got diagnosed with viral gastro. Various anti sickness, anti cramp and anti diarhhea tablets and signed off work until Wednesday. Managed three small meals since Friday morning. Lost 2kg (weighed yesterday morning). Tired and worn out but my levels have been great... Hopefully things will pick up over the next couple of days and I can ease myself back into eating properly again in time for getting my 670. Night all.

aphex2k

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Bah... Up last night as my daughters ill now. Threw up 5 times in 45 mins.

#gastrobegone!

20190908_220459.jpeg