At last down to 8.7 mmol not perfect but better than the 14.5 mmol

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
The cheese omlette would probably have counted as about 4g for each egg so difficult to establish whether your raise this morning was due to your basal rates or correction etc or which.

It is easy to test your morning rates. Just don't have anything to eat until 5 hours after you have got up. I personally drink gallons of coffee so I continue to do this whilst basal testing.

Were you told that if your levels change between 2-3 hours after a bolus then it will probably be the bolus amount that needs amending?

You are not persistently climbing very high very quickly so personally it isn't a mechanical failure it is your insulin rates that are incorrect.

I would personally if it was me give a correction but as you are over 14.0 then add a little bit extra on. Eg. If my correction said 0.9 I would have upped it to 1.35 and check hourly.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Have you got an account number for accuchek? They like this when talking to you or your address.. They may not have you registered yet.

However, it appears your insulin is wrong, not anything else.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Your aim is to be at your target level at the end of 5 hours when correcting.
Best be aware that if you are ever at your target level 2-3 hours after a correction then you will go hypo.

Reactions: 2 people

Victorri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
18.15 bg 3.4 mmol dam it. That was a big drop
18g carb Orange juice
18.30 bg 5.8 mmol (I want more food) tea will be ready in 15 minutes I can hold out.
Thanks for all your advise. I thought eggs didn't have any carbs that's why I had them

Victorri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
When testing basal would you correct or leave it so use see exactly what your basal is doing

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Started pump at 8.30 bg 10.30 mmol breakfast cheese omelette correction 1.40u
10.00 bg 11.3 mmol correction 0.60u
12.00 bg 13.5 mmol correction 1.85u
13.10 bg 10.5 mmol lunch 85g carbs 8.50 u
14.10 bg 12.4 mmol correction 0.05u
15.10 bg 14.5 mmol correction 1.65u
16.10 bg 14.4 mmol correction 0.90u
My correction is 3:1
We spoke about tbr but didn't set specific amounts. We also spoke about testing basal and about change the amount 2 hrs before. E.g. if hypo at 13.00pm change basel at 11.00am.
Was thinking do I need to correct with pen or should I wait the 5 hours for lunch effect to finish.

Victorri, when you do a basal test you have to have a low-fat meal then start testing 4 hours later, a meal like a cheese omelette can have an impact on bg levels for several hours after eating.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
When testing basal would you correct or leave it so use see exactly what your basal is doing

If you hypo during a basal test you cancel it and start again the following day or whenever it suits.

iHs

Your aim is to be at your target level at the end of 5 hours when correcting.
Best be aware that if you are ever at your target level 2-3 hours after a correction then you will go hypo.

Gosh DD if bg levels are high, I would not want to wait 5hrs for the correctiion to lower me to my target before I eat anything. I usually correct back to target within 2hrs and then deduct any IOB from my bolus if need be. I dont go hypo

iHs

We spoke about tbr but didn't set specific amounts. We also spoke about testing basal and about change the amount 2 hrs before. E.g. if hypo at 13.00pm change basel at 11.00am.
Was thinking do I need to correct with pen or should I wait the 5 hours for lunch effect to finish.

Hi

Not sure if the dsn gave you a target bg to aim for? If so, then you need to alter the basal rates to get to that target.
Look at this weblink and take note of the table under paragraph 2. It gives a rough guide on adjusting the basal rates. If yr target is 6mmol, then yr 8.30am bg of 10.3mmol would need to correct back to 6mmol, so a difference of 4mmol. Remember to add a 0 to some of the adjustments like 0.1 would be 0.10 and not 0.01.

http://diatribe.org/issues/26/thinking-like-a-pancreas

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I didn't say to correct and not eat anything.....
But it is an ideal opportunity to actually do that-correct and just see it as a correction testing opportunity.
I think Its rather confusing to a new pumper on their 1st day to be talking about IOB and taking away from bolus...with corrections and eating.
The Insight is aware of how much longer a correction bolus is still due in your acting time period...and it shows it if you go to do a food bolus.

I think on 1st day of pumping should be as uncomplicated as possible.....

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Basal changes also depend upon the amount of insulin you are pumping through at any hour.

For example because I pump through anywhere between 0.35 to 1.15 each hour I change my basal rates by 0.01 up to 0.03.

I know of another pump user that has at least double the quantities of
insulin pumping through each hour and therefore her basal changes can be double what I would have to do....

As it is... As I said you should be trying to get basals to target level with corrections by 5 hours. The OP has just proved that by going hypo after all the corrections being made.

Last edited by a moderator:

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Eggs for some people are countable. I count each egg as 4g of carb. Some count them some don't.. Its not actual carbs you are counting, as you are right there are no carbs in eggs.. But protein.

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Woah! Seriously, stop. You are massively over correcting unless you are using the pump correction bolus calculator with an IOB function. And you should definitely not rely on the IOB function on your first day on the pump.

I hope you haven't gone hypo.

You really should not be correcting every 1-2 hours repeatedly. That is a recipe for a hypo. Don't correct more often than every 4 or 5 hours.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes

If basal testing and I went above 12.0 I would correct and carry on the basal testing time.... Without eating until the end of 5 hours because it would then prove that my correction dosage was right or wrong.

If you go hypo then it is a case of stopping the testing, stop the hypo, change your basals and try testing again the next day.

I am quite different to other pump users though as I only eat once a day about 5-6pm ish. I am effectively basal testing every day until that time!! So I have to have all my basals correct and finely tuned. I treat times of going to meet friends during the day as a bolus test. As I will have say a chilli wrap from Mcdonalds where I know the carbs and a plain coffee. Then I use that as a bolus test. I effectively basal/bolus test without actually realising it with my day to day living...so I am odd...

Victorri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi insight pumpers. Im sat waiting for my pump to alarm to say the cartridge is low. When does this happen how many units are left when it alarms?

Thanks for advise

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Well if it was a Vibe, it would be a user configurable level with a default of 50u, and the alarm screen would tell you the number of units remaining when it alarmed.

Victorri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I found out its 25units which like you said you can adjust. I will be ok till morning then time for a change. It will be my first one by my self :confused: