Pump catheter change intervals.

tom58

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I only change my catheter every four days and after five years doing this have never had any problems. However, I've recently been told that modern insulins may degrade if they are kept in a plastic pump at body temperature for more than three days. Is there any truth in this theory or is it just a sales pitch from the pump representative?

Happily my pump and its consumables are on prescription but the health service, which belongs to us all, ultimately pays so it's surely a good idea to be as economical as possible. However, if it's a false economy, it may end up costing all of us more in the end. What do you think?

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @tom58

I leave my cannula change until I am almost empty although my reminder is set for 3 days. I do this because I haven’t noticed any change in my BG levels which is the thing I am keeping an eye on, if I notice an upwards curve then I’d change immediately. I think the general advice is that insulin degrades quicker in plastic vs glass however the litmus test is what your Bg levels are telling you and as long as your keeping your levels in range then there shouldn’t be any reason to change sooner.