Pump downgrade from medtronic!!

Talo

Hi all,

I lived in Argentina all my life and I have a medtronic 640g pump.
I recently moved to the US and they told me they are going to replace my pump for a "US Pump". The representative told me over the phone that they will be giving me a 630g pump, that is essentially the same as the one that I have, but that the radiofrequency on that pump and the transmitter are more adecquate for use in the US.

Sounded good to me, until I decided to do my own research on the 630g. It turns out that the 630g does not suspend insulin delivery based on low trend. It only does so if you get to low levels.

I plan on saying that I don't want to make that change, but I'm afraid they will say something like they won't give me techical support if I don't do so.

Any thougts or experience on this?

I'm also gonna suggest that if they want to change the pump they better give me the 670g but I doubt they will make that change for free.

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm kind of guessing your pump will be covered by medical insurance, was it your insurance company that told you you need to change pumps or your doctor ?. I would not expect that pump manufacturer would have a say on this.

Talo

I'm kind of guessing your pump will be covered by medical insurance, was it your insurance company that told you you need to change pumps or your doctor ?. I would not expect that pump manufacturer would have a say on this.

It was pump manufacturer (Medtronic). Since I just moved to the US I currently don't have a US doctor or health insurance. I called about a faulty sensor and they told me that they will be replacing the pump since I'm now in the US.

Talo

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Exactly. Since 640g is not available in the US they want to replace it for the 630g for free. The problem is that the 630g is worse than 640g.
Assuming you are paying for your pump consumeables what is to stop you using the current pump until you can get health insurance (sorry I know this probably isn't easy if you are not in the right kind of job over there)? You could have the inferior pump as back up in case the 640 goes wrong. Not in the US and thankful for my NHS supported pump in the UK.
Fyi the Dexcom ] working with the tandem Iq system reacts to both high and low trends and has now been approved by the FDA.

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It was pump manufacturer (Medtronic). Since I just moved to the US I currently don't have a US doctor or health insurance. I called about a faulty sensor and they told me that they will be replacing the pump since I'm now in the US.

Ah ok well without funding they have no choice but to only offer the downgrade to the one they support - they will not give you the new upgraded one for free, unless you can get it upgraded via your Argentina contacts.

Talo

Thanks for your replies. I guess they cannot "Force" me to use the old one instead of they one I have. But I'm sure they won't give me support for it (for example, replace faulty sensors). Anyway, I'll talk to the representative and talk about the options. I just got to the US so I'm applying for jobs. Hopefully i will be able to upgrade soon to the 670 or a different brand.

Reactions: Chas C

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello, I read a post on Instagram which sounded slightly similar to your post - she had a pump from Medtronic Germany and Medtronic USA didn’t support it so she was forced to buy an american supported pump. So you might not get any support or consumables (if you needed any). I hope you get insurance and everything sorted soon to continue pump therapy.

Talo

Hello, I read a post on Instagram which sounded slightly similar to your post - she had a pump from Medtronic Germany and Medtronic USA didn’t support it so she was forced to buy an american supported pump. So you might not get any support or consumables (if you needed any). I hope you get insurance and everything sorted soon to continue pump therapy.

Thanks for the info! I'm glad I brought a bunch of supplies with me. I'm gonna need them until I sort this thing out. Do you by any chance remember or can get to her name so I can message her?

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Oh sorry for the late reply, from her caption, it sounds similar to yours but I apologise in advance if it doesn’t. The female was in Germany for 3-4 years and then went to America.
IMG_0191.jpg