Pump funding threatened - what would you do?

pegletbee

Type of diabetes
LADA
I have been on a pump now for ten years. I initially started pump therapy when I lived in Holland, where they are very keen to get people onto pumps. I resisted it for years, in fact I only decided to go on a pump when I was about to move back to the UK because I knew that would mean I could continue with pump therapy if I wished, whereas I might have trouble opting for a pump in the UK due to the postcode lottery of funding attitudes here. I was very pleased I had made the change; not only did it initially improve my HbA1C and all that, it made life one hell of a lot easier and helped to reduce the number of and management of hypos. I initially moved to Northumberland in 2010. I had to change pumps - from a Cosmo to an Accu Chek Combo - which is better because of the Bluetooth meter, but which is not the easiest of menus to find your way around - oh well. Things did not go especially well in Northumberland as far as my stats were concerned. A visit to the pump clinic in Newcastle took all day and I would often get there to find that the person I was booked to see had no idea how to operate the pump to retrieve my data so it was frequently a waste of time, and might be months before I saw anyone able to offer useful insight and advice. My diabetes has never been well controlled, and I was not able to get the help I needed to achieve any stability. In 2014 I moved to Norfolk. I'm still a fair way from the only pump clinic in the entire county, but was initially impressed with the level of commitment to help me get on top of things, however, I have not got on top of things. My HbA1C is still not great and getting the pump set up in a way that works for me has never proved to be possible - I just do not fit in the box, and getting a handle on what is going on has just been impossible from the very first diagnosis in 2000 (initially told I was Type 2, after the meds for that made me very ill they put me on insulin and I was later diagnosed as LADA). My overall health is not too bad considering. I used to follow a low-carb diet, and felt quite well despite my poor stats, but I was persuaded to eat more 'normally' when I went on the pump, and although I have so far not developed any major complications, since being on the pump I have slowly and steadily gained weight at the rate of about 1 kilo per year. (Doesn't sound much, but I only weighed 53 kilos at the start and now weigh 63 so that's 20% of my body weight). I am now being told that my poor BG statistics mean that the consultant cannot justify the funding for my pump, and that when the guarantee on the current model runs out in April 2018 I will probably refused funding. At first I was very angry, because to my mind this is not a decision based on the clinical evidence that returning me to injecting will in any way improve my outcomes or stabilise my BG levels - it will just make them even harder to manage again - but is purely an issue of funding, and I think that is disgusting, but I am so fed up with feeling hounded to do countless fasts (designed to provide information with which to establish correct basal rates - except that they don't, and nobody has been able to) and being made to feel like somebody who is simply not trying hard enough, when I have honestly been trying, and trying, and trying for 17 years and am no further forward and I'm absolutely fed up with it. The other day my brother said 'Well if it's not really working maybe you might as well just give it up', and I thought that maybe he was right. Perhaps I should just go back to low-carb and jabs and do the best I can and stop fretting about it, but I wanted to ask for some other people's views. Where do I stand? Do they even have the right to do this against my will? If I decide to fight this funding decision is there anywhere I can get help and advice? and finally ... what do you think and what would you do?

Reactions: himtoo

leahkian

This is your life they are talking about not there's and if you want to keep you pump then fight it. I was started on my pump at North Durham hospital and after 6 months of hell i went to the Diabetes Center and met a man who changed my life, he got my BS under control in 3 weeks and i have stayed there ever since. The person i seen was wanting all type one diabetics on insulin pumps and he does islet transplants at Newcastle. One of the main problems with getting a pump is funding as the NHS just foes not have the money. The PM Mrs May has a pump but i do not think that funding would have been a issue for her, the government want a American style health system as they all have money and private health insurance. We seen this only yesterday when no one in the NHS was getting a pay rise that they deserve. If i was you and you wanted to keep on with your pump get in contact with PALS who will arrange a meeting for you and the hospital trust to explain their why they are taking you off the pump.

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
hi there @pegletbee
i just want you to be successful at keeping a pump
catapillar has given you the key -- do follow up with them.

big hugs [[hugs]]]

himtoo
x

Reactions: Chas C

pegletbee

Type of diabetes
LADA
If i was you and you wanted to keep on with your pump get in contact with PALS who will arrange a meeting for you and the hospital trust to explain their why they are taking you off the pump.[/UOTQE]

Thanks - I have never even heard of Pals, but I will give them a try.

ce81ar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Pegletbee, I hope you have some success with the suggestions people have made above. Just wondering why you have never tried low carb on the pump? I started it a few months back after 4 years on a pump and am finding it much easier to keep under control now. Given how my basal rates vary through the day, I'm not convinced I'd be able to manage low carb on MDI.

pegletbee

Type of diabetes
LADA
Hi Pegletbee, I hope you have some success with the suggestions people have made above. Just wondering why you have never tried low carb on the pump? I started it a few months back after 4 years on a pump and am finding it much easier to keep under control now. Given how my basal rates vary through the day, I'm not convinced I'd be able to manage low carb on MDI.

I was eating low carb before I started on the pump but my management was indeed very poor on MDI. I was persuaded to eat more 'normally' when I went on the pump, I think because if I ate no carbs there was simply no protocol for dosage as much as because they found it bizarre and unwise - too much fat! I've been experimenting with a sort of combination diet for a week now - basically carbs only at breakfast. I already feel better but be not yet noticeably more stable. Am interested to see whether it does make a difference to my control on the pump. Thanks for your support.

ce81ar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
If you'd like any suggestions for doing low carb on a pump then PM me. I decided to invest in CGM and have been fine tuning based on the results. I was all over the place for the first few weeks but am now comfortably on <60% of the insulin I started on/day and I'm finally getting on top of my diabetes control and weight. My last HbA1c was the lowest I've had for 20 years! It's not easy by any means but this is the first time I've put the effort in and had such good results.