Pump holiday and crazy high blood sugars?

Kazzabon

Hi All - firstly apologises for the long post...... I posted this on the Type 1 board too

I am going away for a couple of months and have decided not to take my pump. I disconnected on Wednesday evening and took 22 units of lantus at 11 pm (on the pump my basal was 17u per day) my BS was 8.3. I woke with a BS of 24.9 but I knew it was high cos I was peeing all night! I was chasing my bloods all day and although I eat mainly low carb, I ended up having in total about 30 units of humalog.

Last night I upped my lantus to 24 units - this morning's reading was 13.9 so alot better. I took 10 units of humalog at breakfast.....just taken my BS before lunch and it was 22.9?? I know it takes a while for the lantus to bed in so do you think it's that? Also, I'm excited about flying to Oz and trying to get all my last minute things in order. Also, my doctor says I don't need my 12mm needles, that 5mm are fine but I don't believe him and compromised at 8mm - could it be that?

I don't want to try the twice daily split basal dose at the moment as it will confuse things when I am working out time differences.

Before the pump I wasn't that bothered but I am a born again goodish diabetic and realise how much better I feel with good control.......help please?

david.bligh

I think you should take your pump. I know its annoying having it stuck to you all the time, but its there for a reason. It's even worst if you know that on needles you weren't so good. Just think how bad you are really when you're now used to a pump doing it all?

I'd honestly take your pump.

Kazzabon

Thanks for the reply Dave but as I'm spending 3 months on the beach, in the sea or in the pool the pump isn't a viable option. Sand is a big no no with the cannula, mechanics of the pump etc. Sunshine on the tubing is another no no and as I will be in a wetsuit for hours on end and the pump isn't waterproof all adds to it being left at home.

My bloods are starting to calm down now on day 3 but once I arrive in Perth And get over the jet lag I think I'll split the lantus as I've noticed when I miss breakfast my bloods are on the way up. Today I woke with a BS of 8 and by 11am it had shot up to 15.

bonerp

when I do pump hols I split lantus. I use my background basal amount then split 50 / 50 morning and teatime.

Dont forget if you go to 24 odd Bgs it might take a couple of days to settle down again!

ccoles1

Hi
Caught my finger on submit button, in my phone. I am on a pump and go swimming with mine connected. I purchased a water proof pump case from Aqupac uk. It's a clear case and comes with a belt, I some times put it in my pocket. Just google Aqupac. Have a good time on holiday. Chris

elenahusky

Re: ump holiday and crazy high blood sugars?

This morning i woke and had breakfast at 10, blood sugar was about 8. I did a little less insulin as i had lectures until 4pm and dont tend to eat during them. However, feeling funny at 2pm my sugar was 2.6 so i had a nutrigrain cereal bar (no insulin), 3pm felt even worse – blood sugar was 1.8 so i had to run and get some chocolate (no cereal bars available!!)
Does anyone know why this happened?