Pump insurance

linsay

Hi. I got my pump today just to play around with ill get it in next week. I just wondered who was the best insurance company was for covering the pump and how much. My current insurance say £6 a month. Is this good? Bad? About right? Thanks in advance.
Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Hello there!

I got my pump last week and started with insulin yesterday - so go us! yay!

Insurance - some of the people in my pump group have said that they have gone through this website - http://insurance4insulinpumps.co.uk/ and that it was about £6 - try to have a look at the policies and see what you are covered for...now I have given that advice, I must get mine insured!

linsay

I know woo hoo. Im finding it a wee bit difficult to remember how to do things but ill get there i suppose. Ok thank you for the link. How are you doing with the insulin? Hope its ok for you. And yes u def need to get yours insured.

It's going good, but I feel that my basal is not right in the evening as I tend to be a bit higher even though I generally don't eat much in the evening.

In terms of the features on the pump and the cannula etc, it is beginning to sink in - in a few weeks we'll be dab hands!

linsay

Thats good. Well im sure you will be in touch with your nurse tom. Tell her about what your thinking and see what they say. Yeah its hard trying to remember everything at first. It must of been like this when diagnosed at first. I actually cant remember. I do remember the big glass syringes though!!! We have come a long way from that now. Im glad your doing ok. Please let me know how you go through the night with it. Is it annoying whilst trying to sleep etc?

Sleeping is absolutely fine!

What pump have you gone for - or have you not decided yet? I though sleeping would be awful as my partner and I tend to cuddle a lot before sleep and then gravitate towards each other throughout the night! I initially had really long tubing on my pump so could just have it on the bed, now I have the normal 12 inches of tubing and having put the pump on the belt that Roche supplied. It's fine to sleep with which was one of my biggest worries!

I will certainly keep you up to date with progress - I am sure my levels will fall again in a little bit :)

When do you start on your pump?

linsay

Oh thats good i thought the sight might be sore or get pulled in the night. I didnt get a choice but im grateful for any one. Im on the roche accu check combi. I start insulin on tuesday. Yeah please do keep me posted. Would love to hear.

iHs

Infusion sets come with a choice of different tube lengths. Best to get tubes that are about 60cm long at least so that when using the loo you can put the pump on a towel at top of a radiator or at the side of the loo on a seat etc. Otherwise you will be stuck with unclipping the tube from the set and putting the pump on the floor which is ok as long as you dont forget to re attach the tube again.

spideog

Can't actually remember who my insurance is with at the moment, but my pump is just included on my home contents cover.

IHS - I think that was the tubing I was using and I found it to be a bit of an encumbrance, the tubing would always find it's way out of my shirt and I didn't like it at all - happier to be on the shorter tubing even though it means I need to hold it whilst on the loo - I guess we're all different and it's only by trying things our that we establish what we like :)

Blondie153

Hi have been finding out about the pump insurance for my daughter's. my insurance company said that if it was more than £2,500 then I had to produce receipt/evaluation to cover it as the Medtronic is £3,000. The dam said she would find one and send it to me.

spideog

I was given a letter by the hospital regarding the cost of the pump when I was just initially setup with it specifically for giving to the insurance company if required.

Fallen_skydive_angel

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi all, I used to work in insurance and am now on a pump myself (as of 18/3/13) and feel I need to make you aware of the issues around insurance for it. There's also documented info online regarding this, although I can't remember where. But unless your local NHS PCT (primary care trust) is willing to put in writing to you and state that you legally own your pump, then you should not have to insure it. Many trusts are reluctant to sign over ownership to the pump wearer as its such an expensive piece of kit (which should be regardless since once it's allocated to someone they can never give it to anyone else). However, due to this fact, it therefore means if anything goes wrong etc requiring insurance cover, then it falls to the OWNER of the pump. You can not insure something which is not yours to insure, and neither should you have to. If the PCT is unwilling to legally, in writing sign over ownership, then the responsibility of insurance falls to them - they own it. Hope this helps.

justjay

Recently started on the accuchek combo and insured thru insurance for insulin pumps. £6.99 month seems pretty decent with what it covers. Peace of mind at the very least