Pump or not

Aambler

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I’m 23, was diagnosed with t1 at 18 I have been on a pen since, but have trouble with checking blood often and my a1c is around 8.3, have been considering switching to a pump and just wanted some opinions on if switching would help my blood levels or if I just need try harder?

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
have trouble with checking blood often

Well a pump doesn't automatically test your blood sugar. And getting established on a pump takes a lot of work and will require a decent amount of testing. If your problem is not testing often enough have you considered CGM/libre?

When do you test? Why do you have trouble checking often? Can you try and take steps to make it easier for you to test - keep a test kit in your cutlery drawer, in your glove box, in your desk drawer so they are always accessible and it will prompt you to test when you need to. DAFNE says you should, at minimum, be testing before eating, before bed and before driving. Can you make an effort to pick one meal to test before every day for a week and try to continue it the next week, and the next until it becomes habit so you just automatically test befor that meal because you know you have to?

Celsus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well a pump doesn't automatically test your blood sugar. And getting established on a pump takes a lot of work and will require a decent amount of testing. If your problem is not testing often enough have you considered CGM/libre?

When do you test? Why do you have trouble checking often? Can you try and take steps to make it easier for you to test - keep a test kit in your cutlery drawer, in your glove box, in your desk drawer so they are always accessible and it will prompt you to test when you need to. DAFNE says you should, at minimum, be testing before eating, before bed and before driving. Can you make an effort to pick one meal to test before every day for a week and try to continue it the next week, and the next until it becomes habit so you just automatically test befor that meal because you know you have to?
Agreed @catapillar, bg testing before each main meal is the core essential for better control and life as Type1.
A pump alone wont be the 'magic answer solving all problems'... It may ease the 'trouble of injecting' but it still need a master in control about how much etc, especially for the bolus that is the toughest to learn to get right for the various meal types we take in.

Aambler

Type of diabetes
Type 1

Yea I see what your saying and I definitely just need to put a meter in my car, I’m always running around somewhere and that’s my main reason but I need to not make excuses. My main reasoning for the pump was I know most of them run off a closed loop like system and will also help to remind you to check and put in your levels, it’s just a plus that I get to do less shots. However I’m gonna try to increase my testing while I research more so I get in the habit. Thanks

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yea I see what your saying and I definitely just need to put a meter in my car, I’m always running around somewhere and that’s my main reason but I need to not make excuses. My main reasoning for the pump was I know most of them run off a closed loop like system and will also help to remind you to check and put in your levels, it’s just a plus that I get to do less shots. However I’m gonna try to increase my testing while I research more so I get in the habit. Thanks

Do you actually know what a closed loop system is? It's completely incorrect to say that most pumps run off a closed loop system as there is currently only one, the Medtronic 670, and that is only available in the us.

If you are driving without having tested that would be against DVLA guidelines and illegal.

Celsus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Do you actually know what a closed loop system is? It's completely incorrect to say that most pumps run off a closed loop system as there is currently only one, the Medtronic 670, and that is only available in the us.

If you are driving without having tested that would be against DVLA guidelines and illegal.
And even with that Medtronic 670 Rolls Royce on your hip, it comes with a bunch of hard requirements (contra indications as listed for the professionals on Medtronic's directions for use product page):
"Insulin pump therapy is not recommended for those who are unwilling to perform at least four blood glucose tests per day. As insulin pumps use rapid acting insulin only, BG testing is required to help identify rapid glycemic deterioration due to insulin infusion occlusion, infusion site problems, insulin stability issues, user error, or a combination of these. Pump therapy is not recommended for people who are unwilling or unable to maintain contact with their healthcare professional."

Aambler

Type of diabetes
Type 1

It may be illegal there but I live in the states and have asked and they said that you don’t have to check before but if you do have an accident you’re at fault if it was because you blacked out or due to that. I’m not sure but I have only looked at that pump and the omnipod which isn’t fully a closed loop. I’m sorry I’m not fully correct I didn’t know this site was for criticizing every little word said, but thanks!

Celsus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It may be illegal there but I live in the states and have asked and they said that you don’t have to check before but if you do have an accident you’re at fault if it was because you blacked out or due to that.
Agreed @Aambler, the contract terms regarding liabilities are clearly mapped out in the US.
And after you have signed up for them, you can afterwards do with the pump and the feedback loop device exactly as you personally like.