Pump question

Indiana91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Any pumpers out there able to help?

I'm on a pump trial at the moment, just pumping saline for now.

Just changed my cannula for the first time (yay!) but when I took the old one out, it bled, a lot!

Is this normal? Is there a correct way of removing it or do you just find what's best for yourself?
I peeled the sticky stuff off and then just took it out. Is that right?

I've been on injections for 17 years, this is all new to me!

Thanks

Indiana x

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
No, not normal though you may have caused the bleeding on removal. Best way to take out is peel the outside edges all towards the centre and then pull the cannula out straight.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 2 people

Indiana91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for your reply Brett.

That's what I did, peeled all of the edges into the middle.
I'm going on a pump because my injection sites are really bad because of over use.
I'm thinking maybe I put it into an existing bruise? That could have caused it couldn't it?

Indianax

iHs

You can also bathe the adhesive with some babyoil on cottonwool before removing it or use something like Liftplus spray which helps loosen the adhesive without causing any bleeding around the cannula or steel needle

Indiana91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks, that was my first ever cannula change so it was probably something I did.
Made me feel a bit woozy to be honest!

Indiana x

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
i just peel an edge then pull off like a plaster..........sometimes there are small amounts of blood and more often than not.......insulin....

lots of blood could mean you need a shorter cannula, but best to see how the next one goes......

Indiana91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
There was a lot of blood this time, I was quite shocked by the amount to be honest!
I took it off exactly as everyone has said so maybe you're right.
As I said before, my sites are really bad so it could have been sitting in a bruise :\
Time will tell I guess!
Thanks for your reply.

Indiana x

Shell1

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Pump
My sample of liftspray came today changed my daughters cannula peeled of with no pain or bleeding which we had on sunday ...the stuff is amazing !!

Indiana91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That sounds good Shell! I've never heard of that before!
Or many things pump related to e honest! I'm an expert at basal bolus but not pumps!

Indiana x

Julie1471

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Having high blood sugars!!!!!
Zoff is another one, they are wipes, I get mine from ebay. I've had a couple of bleeds, but not to much. Sometimes it's the angle or it could be one of those things or that you caught a very small vein.

Indiana91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for all of your advice guys, I'll see how Fridays change goes!

Thanks again

Indiana x

Riri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The conservative party, people who are cruel to animals and aggressive people
I was told to just peel a corner and then remove in one swift action. Must say it works for me but that maybe because the cannulas etc. suit me rather than the removal method!! Let us know what happens on Friday. Cheers

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have had a couple of bad site but i tend to use the plaster method. Generally I just have a spot of blood. what pump have you got? tacaway is good.

Indiana91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for your replies guys! I'm feeling a bit better about it now I know I'm not the only one!
It's the accu-check one, I use the bg monitor that goes with it.
I'm just trialling it at the moment, not sure if it's the one I'll end up with.

Indiana x

Pattidevans

Thanks for your replies guys! I'm feeling a bit better about it now I know I'm not the only one!
It's the accu-check one, I use the bg monitor that goes with it.
I'm just trialling it at the moment, not sure if it's the one I'll end up with.

Indiana x
Which cannulas are you using? I had similar problems with the Rapid D link but changed to Flexlinks which are much better. Good adhesive keeps them in place but peels off easy without need of Lift or other such sprays. The Teflon cannula is kinder too!

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Which cannulas are you using? I had similar problems with the Rapid D link but changed to Flexlinks which are much better. Good adhesive keeps them in place but peels off easy without need of Lift or other such sprays. The Teflon cannula is kinder too!

i found that patti, both types keep the cannula there but, the flexlink ones peel off alot easier than the metal ones.