Pump site needing changing after 1.5 days

deemalhotra

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
morning all

I have been type 1 for 24 years with a pump since 1998. One consistent issue I have faced is that I need to change my pump site after 1.5 days otherwise the insulin stops being absorbed and I get high blood sugars.

this has been the case on both the animas and omnipod, with different areas of the body used as sites and also with both humalog and Fiasp.

my hba1c is generally between 6 and 6.5 but I find that if I dont adhere to the above the site can last over 2 days but that is rare. there are a few occasions where it lasts even less than 1.5 days if there is a site issue but generally find this to be a threshold that works.

i would be interested to get the feedback from other members.

thanks !

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
hi there @deemalhotra
i have been pumping with omnipod for about 2.5 years...............I have never experienced a problem with absorption issues after such a short time as 1.5 days................on a couple of occasions i have experienced rising bloods about 2.5 days in and have changed out early.
Have you discussed this with your Diabetic Nurse...............or with omnipod customer services...............or perhaps it is the insulin that is not suiting you.

i know there are people that do not get on well with human analogue insulins.......perhaps ask your endo about switching to a porcine insulin.

sorry i can't be of anymore help.

do keep posting and i really would like to keep in touch with you.....there are not loads of us omnipodders about !!

all the best
himtoo

deemalhotra

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
hi

thanks for your post !

This has been an issue for me for years and have consulted the manufacturer and nurses but with no joy. for some reason my body only accepts the pump for a limited period.

I have also heard that the analogue insulins are more of an issue - how quick acting is the porcine for example ? have other people had more joy with such insulins ?

thanks

Reactions: himtoo