kimrooney89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Liars
Hi everyone :)

I received a phone call today to advise the pump clinic have a cancellation tomorrow for me to try wearing a pump for a few days with water in it.

All being well, I will go back on Monday June 26th and be fitted with the real pump. I'll have training on the Monday, and half day Tuesday and Wednesday.

I'm so excited and a little nervous too! Just felt like sharing my news with you all :)

kimrooney89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Liars
Thank you @azure :) I'm so lucky as my process of having funding applied for and now having a trial of a pump has been really quick. I'm looking forward to it

Reactions: azure

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I think/hope you'll love it as much as I do :)

It feels weird to start with because you keep thinking about it, but very soon you don't think about it that much at all. I honestly don't notice my pump :)

I've probably asked you this already, but what pump are you getting?

Reactions: kimrooney89

vic hill

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
kimrooney
brillant news will take a bit of time to adjust if and when you go on the real thing to be honest forget the water and get insulin as so as poss THEN AND ONLY THEN will you begin to understand how things work blood sugars will be a gbit on the high side to start with but once you can adjust little steps time on basel rates with you can adjust every hour on the 24 scale and the food bolus will take time and you may need to check a min of 4 blood sugars once before meal and when you go to bed .plus make sure you have fast action glucose or similar just in case you go low
before long your children will be helping .ha.ha.ha.
vic on pump since 2007 insulin since 57
steady as you go let us know how you get with the real thing to ..........

Reactions: kimrooney89

kimrooney89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Liars
I think/hope you'll love it as much as I do :)

It feels weird to start with because you keep thinking about it, but very soon you don't think about it that much at all. I honestly don't notice my pump :)

I've probably asked you this already, but what pump are you getting?
Yes I imagine that it'll be very much like when you are first diagnosed and you think about testing an injecting constantly but then it becomes second nature.

Well I haven't actually picked a pump yet, we've kind of skipped that step as this appointment is a cancellation. However, they're going to show me both an Animas and Medtronic one tomorrow. I am leaning more towards Medtronic due to the hypo guard and the fact that I have just qualified as an early years practitioner and will be working with nursery children.

Reactions: azure

kimrooney89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Liars
kimrooney
brillant news will take a bit of time to adjust if and when you go on the real thing to be honest forget the water and get insulin as so as poss THEN AND ONLY THEN will you begin to understand how things work blood sugars will be a gbit on the high side to start with but once you can adjust little steps time on basel rates with you can adjust every hour on the 24 scale and the food bolus will take time and you may need to check a min of 4 blood sugars once before meal and when you go to bed .plus make sure you have fast action glucose or similar just in case you go low
before long your children will be helping .ha.ha.ha.
vic on pump since 2007 insulin since 57
steady as you go let us know how you get with the real thing to ..........
Thank you so much @vic hill. I'm really excited to get the real thing, cannot wait to be a pump user in a few weeks! I know it'll be a tricky few weeks until I get all my ratios correct and get used to the pump but I know it'll have a positive impact on my diabetes control :)

Reactions: Juicyj

saruhbeau

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
How exciting congratulations!! My dsn has just told me we can apply for funding so I am just waiting for everything to get sorted. How long did it take fromantic when you were told you could apply for funding until now? I know everywhere is different but I have no idea how long I should expect.

Yout are choosing between the same pumps I want :) like you I am leaning towards the minimed 640g for the same reasons. Do you use cgm? I use dexcom g5 atm which is why I like the idea of the vibe with integrated g4. But think I prefer the 640g. It is also the one my dsn prefers!

Let us know how the trial etc goes!

kimrooney89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Liars
How exciting congratulations!! My dsn has just told me we can apply for funding so I am just waiting for everything to get sorted. How long did it take fromantic when you were told you could apply for funding until now? I know everywhere is different but I have no idea how long I should expect.

Yout are choosing between the same pumps I want :) like you I am leaning towards the minimed 640g for the same reasons. Do you use cgm? I use dexcom g5 atm which is why I like the idea of the vibe with integrated g4. But think I prefer the 640g. It is also the one my dsn prefers!

It's literally only been 4 weeks since my consultant said he would apply for funding. However, I'm really lucky in that someone else has dropped out of the trail and changed their mind about getting a pump so I now have their space.

It's a Medtronic pump I have been given but it isn't the 640g, it's the Veo...Still does near enough the same job though and beats MDI!

I'm just really getting used to all the settings and wondering how sleeping with it on will be! Not using CGM at the minute but it's always an option for me :)

Reactions: azure and himtoo

ce81ar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

Fab news - Bev gave me the 640g to play with when I was in last week and it's a definite improvement on it's predecessor. The wait varies, they normally try and get 3-4 people together to train at the same time. Just depends if you are number 1 or 4!

kimrooney89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Liars
Fab news - Bev gave me the 640g to play with when I was in last week and it's a definite improvement on it's predecessor. The wait varies, they normally try and get 3-4 people together to train at the same time. Just depends if you are number 1 or 4!
There's going to be 5 of us training at the same time, a week on Monday coming. We all have the same pump, Medtronic Veo

kimrooney89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Liars
All good here, busy doing work in the house (shock!!) Lol.

Howz the family? Xx
Lol! What are yous doing to the house?

We're all good Thanks, although I'm a man down today, have a dreaded sickness bug :( xx

MH2010

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Lol! What are yous doing to the house?

We're all good Thanks, although I'm a man down today, have a dreaded sickness bug :( xx

Aw, thats not good :(

Howz the pump?

I got bored yesterday so decided to rip down part of the wall in the kitchen. Ian's changing all the wiring/plumbing just now so house is like a building site lol.

Give me a text, lost all my numbers (AGAIN!) XX

kimrooney89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Liars
I'm surprised they are giving you the Veo. Is there any reason they gave for that?
They haven't given me a reason or a choice @tim2000s I was told my clinic offered both animas and Medtronic, I was always leaning towards Medtronic but I thought it would've been the 640g with smart guard