Pump update - which one?

sallymac65

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Feeling high, people not understanding the difference between type 1 + 2, those people who dont listen!
HI, I have been a pump user for the last four years, my current pump is due for renewal. My how time flies ..... My current one is a Medtronic minimed which has been fine, although have a new niggles about it, but have been offered the Roche combo one instead.

Can anyone shed any light on the use of the Roche one, is it really so much easier to use as the blood testing monitor is so interlinked with it etc? I would be grateful for any updates anyone can shed on this topic, thanks

cally

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Sally,
Just to say that I am in the same situation. I also use a medtronic pump now and am trying to decide whether to change to an animas 2020 as I like the fact that its waterproof and also the colour screen.
Can't help with the Roche though as I wasn't offered that one!
I don't want to get it wrong..

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
cally said:
Hi Sally,
Just to say that I am in the same situation. I also use a medtronic pump now and am trying to decide whether to change to an animas 2020 as I like the fact that its waterproof and also the colour screen.
Can't help with the Roche though as I wasn't offered that one!
I don't want to get it wrong..

Hi Cally,
the screen is not fab on the 2020. Sunshine means no hope what so ever of seeing the screen :( Tis fine in the dark though lol.
Battery change you loose IOB have to do a rewind and prime lowest amount it will deliver is 0.025u and it will not allow any lower even with a temp basal. just keeps on beeping to tell you it wont go any lower. Alarms are very quiet. The amount of button pushing needed for each option is a joke.
My personal view of the animas is not that high when comparing it to my Cozmo. I also would not recommend it to anyone. Please note this is my personal opinion due to having a Cozmo as a first pump. If the animas is a first pump then it will be loved by the user as they have nothing to compare with.

dowuchyalike

sallymac65 said:
HI, I have been a pump user for the last four years, my current pump is due for renewal. My how time flies ..... My current one is a Medtronic minimed which has been fine, although have a new niggles about it, but have been offered the Roche combo one instead.

Can anyone shed any light on the use of the Roche one, is it really so much easier to use as the blood testing monitor is so interlinked with it etc? I would be grateful for any updates anyone can shed on this topic, thanks

Hi Sally

I have the Roche Accuchek combo (close to 3 years now) and if you want my honest opinion, I wouldn't recommend it. I'll outline my issues with it below and then you can decide for yourself whether you think these points are salient in your decision process.

1. First off, the blue tooth is unbearably weak between the pump and handset. I complained about it several times to the pump careline and was sent two new handsets, neither of which addressed the issue. Finally, the Roche rep at my clinic told me that earlier issues of the pump such as mine did have bluetooth issues and it was arranged for a brand new pump to be sent to me. Sadly, this did not address the problem,and I still find myself standing there for what seems like an age while the screen says "connecting to the pump" repeatedly. This occurs even when I put the two devices literally right next to one another
leading me to believe that the technology/components just aren't up to scratch.

2. Secondly, when you scroll through the pump menu either using the pump directly or via the handset you can only scroll in one direction, meaning that if you accidentally go past the item that you want, you have keep going forward all the way through the menu (it's long!) until you get back to it again. It can be infuriating at times.

3. Thirdly, there have been occasions when I've spotted an air bubble and want to prime in order to expel it. This requires stopping the pump and then choosing the 'infusion prime' option, however, a few times I've accidentally hit the 'cartridge change' option by mistake then found that there's no way of cancelling it. You end up having to remove the battery to get back to where you want to be. This might not be something that ever happens to you but if you're at all clumsy or a bit dizzy at times as I can be, then it could be an issue.

4. Finally, my biggest gripe without a doubt is the alert facility for temporary basal rates - basically, there's no way to disable it. The problem with this is you might check your sugars just before bed, find they're trending towards low and rather than eat something and find yourself struggling to sleep while you digest it, you decide to set a lower basal rate for a few hours. Well once that temporary basal rate finishes the pump beeps and vibrates to inform you, which is is the last thing you want when you're fast asleep. It continues to alert until you manually stop it. Annoying? Understatement. Similarly, I've had a temporary basal rate conclude while I'm speeding down the motorway and don't have a free hand to be able to turn off the alert. It's a terrible distraction to your driving with this thing beeping and buzzing away in your pocket, and I would say, it's potentially a hazard.

5. To prime the cannula, you just have to bolus one unit. When you come to eat next and use the bolus advice facility, it will knock that one unit off your required dose if it's still active in your blood stream. Seems silly to me, there should be a cannula prime facility.

There you go, that's all I can think of for now. I'm not saying that the pump doesn't have plenty of good points, but if you are in a position to choose and there are other pumps that share this pump's good points but exclude its bad ones, then that might help you make your decision.

Cheers

sallymac65

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Feeling high, people not understanding the difference between type 1 + 2, those people who dont listen!
Hi, thanks to all those who responded to my post, particularly to dowuchyalike. Some really interesting info on the Roche one, things you wouldnt normally know about unless you'd used it. The temporary basal alarm is a fairly scary option, like you say if you;re driving or sleeping. Thats a jolly good reason enough not to use it. I really appreciate you taking the time to answer my query, you've helped enormously. Cheers

andrew2

Greetings Dowuchyalike,

Do you have the configuration software? I believe you can permanently disable the end-of-temp-basal alert using the software.

Re navigation, if you skip past the screen you want, I think you can go back by simultaneously pressing the Menu and Up buttons.

dowuchyalike

andrew2 said:
Greetings Dowuchyalike,

Do you have the configuration software? I believe you can permanently disable the end-of-temp-basal alert using the software.

Re navigation, if you skip past the screen you want, I think you can go back by simultaneously pressing the Menu and Up buttons.

Hi Andrew

Much obliged for that info. I guess that negates two of my gripes.

It's amazing that in 3 years with numerous meetings with the Roche rep and as many phone calls to the careline that this information hasn't managed to come my way. It's not like I haven't asked either. Strange.

Cheers again. Off to fix that basal rate alert now!

sallymac65

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
HI Andrew, ah great that you responded as I was going to ask my doc for a medtronic rather than roche. Presumably you are a roche user as well, by the sounds of it you seem pretty happy with it, would that be fair comment?

Riri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The conservative party, people who are cruel to animals and aggressive people
Ive only had a pump for 9 months but I can honestly say that I love my medtronic Minimed paradigm pump. I can think of no critisism of it at all. I'm sure that there are other pumps that offer different things but in my mind if you've had trouble free pumping for months/years then it's a case of 'if it ain't broke don't fix it' . Good luck - it will be interesting to find out what you think if you decide to switch.

iHs

Hello Sally

I too have a Spirit Combo which is my first pump and one which I chose because of the remote bg meter function.

I like the pump but there are times when I don't always know how much insulin is actually active. The active insulin only gets displayed when I've done a correction but isn't when a normal bolus is done. You do have to be careful that you don't stack insulin because you are eating food every hour for example (restaurant dinners etc). The only way to prevent stacking appears to be by doing a bg test which will then enable the pump to reduce any insulin if your bg levels have fallen slightly due to bolusing.

Another problem is when I want to use the TBR. You can only adjust in 10% jumps. On Medtronic pumps I think the TBR can be adjusted in 1% jumps which helps if you only need to increase/decrease your basal rates by a very small amount. I only need a small basal rate usually about 0.30 - 0.65 units per hour but my friend needs some of her rates above 1u and finds that the Combo jumps in what she is able to adjust so if she wanted 1.1u per hour, she isnt able to do it as it has to be 1.5u and nothing inbetween.

Dont know if any of the above will matter to you or not. Also, most of the pumps available now are able to work with cgm but the Combo as it is, will not be able to. Accu chek are working on it but dont know when they will feature cgm on their pump.

Have you looked at Cellnovo at all? It's definately something to consider if your present pump doesn't have to be renewed straight away.

jopar

dowuchyalike said:
sallymac65 said:

Hi Sally

I have the Roche Accuchek combo (close to 3 years now) and if you want my honest opinion, I wouldn't recommend it. I'll outline my issues with it below and then you can decide for yourself whether you think these points are salient in your decision process.

1. First off, the blue tooth is unbearably weak between the pump and handset. I complained about it several times to the pump careline and was sent two new handsets, neither of which addressed the issue. Finally, the Roche rep at my clinic told me that earlier issues of the pump such as mine did have bluetooth issues and it was arranged for a brand new pump to be sent to me. Sadly, this did not address the problem,and I still find myself standing there for what seems like an age while the screen says "connecting to the pump" repeatedly. This occurs even when I put the two devices literally right next to one another
leading me to believe that the technology/components just aren't up to scratch.

The blue tooth is set at a different frequency than other blue tooth gadgets, this is a safety feature so it's not seen by various other blue tooth gadgets, cutting the risk down of somebody trying to hack your pump, it's distance range is also a lot shorter, similar reason and also it's just not needed so helps to cut down on power usage. there are two factors involved which slow down the pump and handset taking to each other, one is purely based on battery power, when this starts to decline it takes longer to connect, the other is based on the safety checks before connection is allowed, to ensure the right handset if connecting to the right pump

2. Secondly, when you scroll through the pump menu either using the pump directly or via the handset you can only scroll in one direction, meaning that if you accidentally go past the item that you want, you have keep going forward all the way through the menu (it's long!) until you get back to it again. It can be infuriating at times.

It does scroll backwards, on the pump if you press top rocker button and the menu button simultaneously it returns to the previous screen, does have a knack to it though and on the handset, you use the two buttons directly under the screen, left is to exit the pump menu completely and the right is to go back to the previous screen

3. Thirdly, there have been occasions when I've spotted an air bubble and want to prime in order to expel it. This requires stopping the pump and then choosing the 'infusion prime' option, however, a few times I've accidentally hit the 'cartridge change' option by mistake then found that there's no way of cancelling it. You end up having to remove the battery to get back to where you want to be. This might not be something that ever happens to you but if you're at all clumsy or a bit dizzy at times as I can be, then it could be an issue.

All pumps have to be stopped before accessing the priming mode, it's a safety feature, but again if you accidentally hit the 'Change Cartridge' option, all you do is as above, press side button and menu button simultaneously to revert back to previous screen

4. Finally, my biggest gripe without a doubt is the alert facility for temporary basal rates - basically, there's no way to disable it. The problem with this is you might check your sugars just before bed, find they're trending towards low and rather than eat something and find yourself struggling to sleep while you digest it, you decide to set a lower basal rate for a few hours. Well once that temporary basal rate finishes the pump beeps and vibrates to inform you, which is is the last thing you want when you're fast asleep. It continues to alert until you manually stop it. Annoying? Understatement. Similarly, I've had a temporary basal rate conclude while I'm speeding down the motorway and don't have a free hand to be able to turn off the alert. It's a terrible distraction to your driving with this thing beeping and buzzing away in your pocket, and I would say, it's potentially a hazard.

You have 3 options of warning alarms, Audible only, vibration only or both, on Audible you can adjust the sound, so you've got a couple of choice, set vibration only or if using the audible turn the sound right down, and you can hardly hear it and probable not above an car engine or car radio, but there again if driving the motorway surely it would be a better idea to ensure that you TBR is time to finish at the end of the journey, or at least after you've expect to be leaving the motorway!

5. To prime the cannula, you just have to bolus one unit. When you come to eat next and use the bolus advice facility, it will knock that one unit off your required dose if it's still active in your blood stream. Seems silly to me, there should be a cannula prime facility.

This is a simple problem to over-come, all you do is enter the equivalent amount of carbs for your 1 unit of insulin for the cannula prime, the software ignores this in any following calculations

There you go, that's all I can think of for now. I'm not saying that the pump doesn't have plenty of good points, but if you are in a position to choose and there are other pumps that share this pump's good points but exclude its bad ones, then that might help you make your decision.

Cheers

I started pumping with the older Blue Spirit pump, and up-graded to the Combo 19 months ago and to me it's a brilliant pump, love the fact the handset is both a remote and blood glucose meter...

At first people weren't keen on the idea that the wizard software is loaded only on the handset, concerns over losing/forgetting the handset, and also because the handset is also your BG meter, being tied to using Aviva test strips..

But it's not been the problem some suggest it would be, as well most people do ensure they've got their meters with them, and very few people lose their meters..

I know a lot seem to be going for the Vibe or Veo, as both have CGM capabilities, but both required extra components for the CGM side of things, and as yet no NICE Guidelines for funding... And still very expensive to self fund.

It does make me wonder, whether Roche decision to not put all the wizard etc software on the pump and only the handset, as it could give an cheaper method to make the Combo CGM compatible, as all it needs is the handset to be developed with additional software etc as the both of the Vibe and Veo communicate via the Sensor attachment, it's only the communication software that's loaded onto the pump and communication receiver, which fundamentally the Combo handset and pump already have the communication receivers, just need a software upgrade, for the CGM!

sallymac65

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hi, very interesting for me to hear that you've upgraded to the combo because of the wireless functionality. I suppose thats the thing that is of interest to me. I have been using my medtronic minimed one for four years now, well this is my second one during that time as I have found the getting batteries in/out a bit of a fuss plus bits keep falling off it. Overall its been a good pump, but its just well I feel there are others out there Roche's combo as an example that have been fine tuned better. Really useful to hear information from real users. Ive just moved hospitals to Bournemouth and they offer either the Roche combo or the medtronic minimed - hence the original question, thankfully I feel a lot more informed than I did a few days ago. BTW, Jopar - I love your footer - how true ..... made me laugh :D

dowuchyalike

Thanks Jopar for addressing all those issues. As I said in my reply to Andrew, I can't believe these points have never been addressed by Roche even though I have aired them to various factions.

Still don't think you can dismiss the TBR alert so easily. It will wake you up at night regardless of your choice of sound/vibration combination and as someone who struggles to get back to sleep once disturbed it is huge issue for me. The only way I have found around it is to go to all the effort of setting up an entirely new 24-hour basal rate under one of the vacant memory slots. Lot of messing around required to do that though. Andrew suggested configuration software, which I wrongly presumed was the app that loads with the Smart Pix machine. Seems what he was referring to is a different app that will set you back £25, which I resent having to pay when I see the issue as an oversight on the manufacturer's part.

As regards the driving issue, well, life gets in the way of the most carefully planned schedules, meaning that hard as you try you can't always be sure that a TBR will not conclude while you're behind the wheel.

Regards

sallymac65

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hi again, dowuchyalike - ah I am glad you have clarified the software issue, I hadnt realised that you had to pay something extra for it to turn it off. Like you say I hate my sleep being disturbed and certainly not for a pump issue. So the long and short of it, from what I can gather is that the roche pump does have some good points as you have shown, but there are some major problems like the temp basal alerting you when its done. Have to say thats quite a big issue for me, as I drive a lot for work as Im sure you do and have to adjust my doses before driving. Back to the drawing board ....appreciate your honesty in this, so worth knowing these things before I get something new and whizzy. Assume this is your first pump? Sally

jopar

I be surprised if the alarm set on it's lowest setting would be enough to rouse somebody from sleep! Would have to be an incredible light sleeper... I have both the vibrate and alarm set on my pump, and even though the alarm is on max, it never wakes me up over night, what does wake me is the vibration sounding through the mattress!

I've got a feeling that none of the pumps will allow the user to turn all the alarms off completely, due to the alarms are a safety feature...

As to the software side of things..

The Smart Pix, is utter rubbish, and no it can't adjust any of the pump settings...

The best software they do for pump users is the 360 software, but even this you can't use the software to alter any of the pump settings...

The only software that can do this, is the version supplied to the hospital, the patient version doesn't have this facility..

Roche is normally quite good towards it's pumper's concerning the software, and I've always got my for free the only time I've incurred any costs, when they gave me the Pocket Compass software I did have to buy a PDA to run it on (as it only runs on a Palm operating system) ...

When I first got my Spirit pump, I had to battle for 3 years to get pump funding and then it was the case is of 'you having the spirit pump' no choice about it, if I had a choice I would have picked the Animas 2020 pump... But now after using the spirit and the Combo, I'm glad I wasn't given a choice...

As looking at my basal setting I would really struggled with Animas, as it doesn't allow for enough changes within a 24 hour period.. The Combo allows changes ever hour, and the Animas you can change the basal rate 8 times within 24 hours, fair enough your blocks of time can be variable in start and length of time, but I have between 11 and 14 basal changes over a 24 hour period, depending on which profile I'm using... I have 4 set up, and my 5th profile I use for my testing out any adjustments first before putting changing any main profile.. Most of the other pumps if I remember rightly have 3 profiles!

So yes I agree, you need to look at what your priorities are, a lot easier once you've used a pump a lot harder to guess what these are going to be if you starting out with a pump for the first time...

andrew2

Hi Sally and Dowuchyalike,

To be clear I am not a Spirit pumper and have not used the configuration software. I found an online tutorial for the configuration software at a Canadian site(?): http://www.accu-chekinsulinpumps-ca.com/multimedia/tools/CAT/index.html Pretty far into the tutorial, it shows how to disable the end-of-temp-basal alert. I assume this will work for UK Spirit Combos and for the upcoming USA Spirit Combo (due to launch here probably by end of year). I like the Combo because it takes the fewest button presses to accomplish a Multiwave bolus of any pump on the market (and I would use it for almost all meals).

I agree that it shouldn't require additional expense of software to turn off the alert and as jopar says, it may require taking the pump into the hospital to access the right software.

Cheers from my side of the pond

sallymac65

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Good morning Jopar, intersting that you were wanting an Animas pump. I thought I would have chosen one of those if I had the choice, but like you it was a have this or nothing approach which is fine. Good to hear that someone else is changing their basal rates a lot with different profiles. The last DSN I saw said that oh no you only need one and then do temp basals to adjust it - I dont agree I have to say, so its good to hear Im not the only on this. My original question seems to have caused quite a bit of debate it seems :) Very good to know about the bluetooth settings as that is my main reason for getting the combo one. I was interested by what you said about not being able to turn off the alarms though, my medtronic lets me turn if off for most things other than the fact the battery is running out or the insulin is on its way out. Mmm, certainly food for thought ... at least I am better prepared now than I was, thanks. Sally

cally

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi,

As you have all said lots of food for thought.

I haven't been offered the combo so the choice for me is between the Medtronic and the Animas. I have never used the remote on my current pump which is the Medtronic and also don't rely on any of the alarms except maybe the one that says there is less than 20 units left in the cartridge.

I have been quite happy with my Medtronic but it is the waterproof aspect of the Animas that appeals to me as I spend quite a lot of time on a boat and although I have never fallen overboard yet there is always that chance!

dowuchyalike

Agreed Jopar, the Smart Pix is a waste of space, and I guess you're saying that the 360 software is not capable of eliminating the TBR alert, so probably not worth me pursuing.

I'm wondering if our pump models differ at all because I have my signal settings configured to beep only and on the lowest volume but (and I've just tested this out), if you ignore the alert long enough it gets progressively louder and eventually it vibrates, so it would seem like your own choices/settings are overridden once the alert has been ignored past a certain point. It's when it reaches this point that it wakes not only me but my partner also! Again, I have discussed this with the pump careline and have just been told that there's no way around it.

I understand the reasoning behind the alerts (i.e. that on the conclusion of a TBR it might be prudent to do a blood test) but I see it as superfluous in some circumstances, and especially at 3am when, up to that point having successfully avoided hypoglycaemia, all I want to do is continue sleeping.

dowuchyalike

After a little more investigation, this screenshot would confirm that Andrew is indeed correct, the 360 software is capable of disabling the Combo's TBR alert feature.

Attachments

• Picture 2.png
    Picture 2.png
    76 KB · Views: 559