Pumping getting me down

MushyPeaBrain

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm finding problems on the pump are really getting me down lately and I don't know what to do. I've been pumping 4 years now and after a rocky start I was doing really well. My BG has never been better, especially as I have brittle diabetes. However the cannula changes are starting to get to me since I had a bad batch of sets that shook me up.

I'm needle phobic and partially sighted. I use Inset II and I'm limited to where I can put them. My tummy is shot from years of injecting so I use tummy edge round sides to almost back. Then I use the area between my ribs and waistline. That gives each spot about a month before reuse. Lately I've noticed I seem to be having absorption issues with the sites all along one side. This is stressing me out no end as I'm scared I have site fatigue already. Legs and arms too thin and I can't manage my bum. On top of that I feel I lose every 3rd day due to set change. I get anxious about the insertion. I get anxious about set not working but until recently if BG was good after 2 hours I assumed it was ok. Now BG seems unstable and yet sets look fine when pulled. If I have a failed set I shake at having to fire in again. I am about to do next change and am shaking with the stress of it. I don't know what to do. I try to avoid going out on set change days. It takes so long to change as well - about an hour then 2 more to see if working.

You all seem so confident about it, even when it goes wrong.

C

catherinecherub

Sorry to hear about all the trials and tribulations you are having with the pump @MushyPeaBrain.
I will bump your post up to see if there is anyone who can help.

Take care.

Reactions: 2 people

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
I'm finding problems on the pump are really getting me down lately and I don't know what to do. I've been pumping 4 years now and after a rocky start I was doing really well. My BG has never been better, especially as I have brittle diabetes. However the cannula changes are starting to get to me since I had a bad batch of sets that shook me up.

I'm needle phobic and partially sighted. I use Inset II and I'm limited to where I can put them. My tummy is shot from years of injecting so I use tummy edge round sides to almost back. Then I use the area between my ribs and waistline. That gives each spot about a month before reuse. Lately I've noticed I seem to be having absorption issues with the sites all along one side. This is stressing me out no end as I'm scared I have site fatigue already. Legs and arms too thin and I can't manage my bum. On top of that I feel I lose every 3rd day due to set change. I get anxious about the insertion. I get anxious about set not working but until recently if BG was good after 2 hours I assumed it was ok. Now BG seems unstable and yet sets look fine when pulled. If I have a failed set I shake at having to fire in again. I am about to do next change and am shaking with the stress of it. I don't know what to do. I try to avoid going out on set change days. It takes so long to change as well - about an hour then 2 more to see if working.

You all seem so confident about it, even when it goes wrong.

Simple solution is to take a pump break, IE go back to injections. Other option is to try a different make of cannula. I found the straight cannulas were not helpful so changed to the angled sets and haven't had a problem with them.
Have you done any basal testing lately MPB? If not this might be a good start in the right direction. Angled sets will go into legs and arms, after all small children use the same sets as adults :)

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I think being partially sighted may be contributing to your lack of confidence when it comes to getting the cannula in and making sure it has been done properly....is this a factor for you...

is your sight problem related to the diabetes..........?

wanting to get control tight to stop any further damage if it is related will also be weighing heavy on your shoulders........

so your reaction to all of this is perfectly acceptable......

have you tried other sites for the cannula like the thighs or buttocks.......?

sofaraway

Could you try and get some samples of the Contact Detach- Animas version on steel cannulas. These can't bend as they go in and are manually inserted. They may give you more confidence in cannula changes.

Alos agree a pump break could be a good idea, you'll either prefer it or be glad to get back on the pump

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I would agree a change of caulla might be a good idea MPB, but are you sure you couldnt use arms or legs? @donnellysdogs any ideas?

MushyPeaBrain

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thank you for all your replies @novorapidboi26 my sight is definitely a big factor. I got retinopathy due to long term diabetes and suddenly tighter control. During the laser the doctor lasered the wrong part of my eye, causing retinal detachment which they covered up. They then bodged the operation to repair it leaving me with a blind disfigured eye. This eye was the better eye. I now see an amazing eye doctor who has done 360 degrees laser on my remaining eye and it has held stable for several years but does effect me with certain things.

On top of the sight I have moles everywhere on my body and have to be very careful not to fire into them. The combination reduces my options. When on MDI I was not allowed to inject arms or legs due to no fat. Even 4 and 6 mm needles caused lumps straight away. I have been told not to put cannulas here. I do however have a good covering of fat round my middle and hips etc

@CarbsRok I did basal testing not long ago but I know the dogdy side isn't that because of the erratic way the insulin behaves. For example spiking to 12 after 10g carbs. I had to low/no carb whilst using that side. Cannulas came out looking fine - no blood or kinks. Every other area my current basal works spot on.

I have looked at other cannulas. I tried the contact detach (search for my old posts) but nobody could explain why my BG was in the 17-20s on them. It was like the bolus of the vibe was too powerful for such a thin needle. Sometimes my sites leaked insulin on them even though stuck down firmly. I looked at angled sets with inserters but I don't think I can manage it as my perception is bad and the inset 30 scared the hell out of me. With self insertion I'm not sure I could do it or get the angle right either. I like that the inset inserter is simple and fires for me.

I wanted to take a pump break after my faulty batch of infusion sets as I was so shaken up but the DSN wouldn't support me. I have no idea how to work out background insulin etc. Plus my hubby is very upset about the idea of me coming off the pump as he feels we will go back to the original problems with my fear of injecting/poor control etc and now I have a disabled son to care for too.

I just don't know what to do and I feel very down about the whole thing.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hi Mushy, does fear of the unknown play a big part for you in cannula choice? I ask because the thought of the inset 30 scared me as well. But its a lot better than the inset. All you do is place the 30 on your skin it sits at the correct angle as little feet for it to sit on :) the cannula has a self serter as well and is a lot less quiet and violent that the insets. I hated the insets and refused to use them,

MushyPeaBrain

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@CarbsRok yes fear of the unknown in massive for me, especially fear of pain. My needle phobia stems from how painful I find injections, blood taking, finger pricks and even inset insertion. Not every one hurts but a lot do. Even with emla cream I still feel it. Some really, really hurt. I guess I just feel pain worse than most but it's frustrating when you have a condition that means you have to inflict pain to live!

I have been looking at the inset 30 again as I have found some youtube videos that make it look easier. Do inset 30s suffer from kinking issues?

iHs

Mushy

I too have found that the workmanship on the inset 2s has deteriated a tiny bit as I find that the white spring dorsnt always **** like it should so I tend to release it into the air first and then re **** again and that does the trick.

sometimes I use the inset 30 and can honestly say that it is virtually painless to insert (hardly anything). You'll be amazed so do have a go.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
@CarbsRok yes fear of the unknown in massive for me, especially fear of pain. My needle phobia stems from how painful I find injections, blood taking, finger pricks and even inset insertion. Not every one hurts but a lot do. Even with emla cream I still feel it. Some really, really hurt. I guess I just feel pain worse than most but it's frustrating when you have a condition that means you have to inflict pain to live!

I have been looking at the inset 30 again as I have found some youtube videos that make it look easier. Do inset 30s suffer from kinking issues?
Hi Mushy I have only had 1 cannula kink problem in about 3 years, this was user error IE me :) Personally I find absorption so much better using the inset 30 rather than the 90 degree sets. Very rarely any pain either. Perhaps try and relax before you insert so you are not so tense.

MushyPeaBrain

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@his I used to pre-fire like you suggest when I was first pumping but I was having lots of set failures. Another forum member suggested I stop the pre-fire and my failures stopped too so I'd be a bit worried about doing that again. Wish Animas hadn't cut quality though :(

MushyPeaBrain

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@Platinum I looked at the diaport but can't find any recent information. There is a newer link that talks about a better version and mentions there were problems with the original port. Might be swapping one problem for another! http://www.diabetesmine.com/2011/06/diaport-the-little-tube-that-could.html

I am going to order some inset 30 samples and try one in the side causing me issues. I will do it at a weekend when hubby is here to support me. Hubby has also bought me the new Libre system as early xmas present as we feel this might give me some more confidence with BG and set changes. I can wear it in my arm and hubby will insert it for me so that will help.

Thank you for all your support on here. I don't think I could manage without all the great advice and encouragement from this forum.

iHs

The Inset 30 is ok......watch the u tube videos.

To withdraw the introducer needle, what I do is hold my thumb over the cannula hole where the bottom of the set adhesive is to keep the cannula in (remove the adhesive bit)and then using other hand, pull back the ring pull white plsstic spring in the top part of the set which withdraws the introducer needle and then remove the other part of the achesive before sticking down (I lift this part up to make adhesive removal easier). Once youve got the knack, you should like them as the introducer is nice