Purple rain and Keto cake

Runica

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
With so many well experienced low carbers on this forum, maybe someone will have had a similar experience.

Short question: can a high fat meal turn a Keto stick purple (8.5 mol) ?

The long story: I have some in-date pee-on Keto sticks that I bought alongside my blood glucose sticks from Amazon. Although I take Gliclazide, I try and go as low carb as I can. The sticks, on the rare occasion I use them, read trace or low for ketones.

On waking yesterday, I felt lousy with a cold. Had a high carb breakfast ( 2 apricots and 2 tablespoons Greek yoghurt) and took my meds. At lunch (massive green leafy salad, cheese and pickles) I was craving food afterwards like crazy, so made a Keto cake with coconut oil, coconut flour and cocoa powder. I served it up with about two tablespoons of double cream and that seemed to fix the cravings, to the point where dinner was just a spoonful of bolognese sauce to take my meds with.

At around 11 pm I tried a Keto stick, which immediately turned purple. I checked my bloods, high at 8.2 which was expected feeling unwell, but not high enough to consider a serious condition. Half hour later, the stick turned moderate, then back to low. Did the high fat cake cause this anomaly?

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I don’t know the answer to your question, but “purple rain” is a brilliant way of describing the purple pee sticks... :D

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Any chance you were dehydrated? Those pee sticks are useful in a limited way, but they are going to be affected by concentration of urine.

Runica

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Not dehydrated, I think. I've had a bit of a sore throat and been on constant cream in coffee, herbal tea and lemon water to sooth. I'm beginning to think I may have had a dodgy stick or entered the twilight zone. Luckily, these things come in packs of 100 for under a fiver, so I will continue to test away merrily and maybe do some self experimentation:doctor:

Reactions: Brunneria