Put on this week.. Fed up & demotivated

Mrsg11

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So from my diagnosis 4 weeks ago i have cut out bread, potatoes, pasta keeping carbs low & between 50-100g per day, moatly 60-70g and keeping calories to average of 1200 per day, this was working & i was steadily losing 3-4 lbs a week which I was happy with, but this week I have gained 2lb, i haven't done anything different... Baffled.. Fed up & demotivated & now i just want to get a takeaway.... Sorry rant over!!

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
I think there are times we all feel demitivated

And there is more than 1 occasion that I've eaten almost everything edible in the house

Keep your spirits up.. Keep tryinging

Maybe add a little gentle exercise if you don't already to help burn the calories

Reactions: Mrsg11

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Mrsg11

Sounds like you’ve made some great changes and are doing well. It’s natural for weight to ebb and flow without any changes to diet so please don’t despair and 3-4 pounds a week is quite a lot, so this could just be a natural flattening out.

Do you also take body measurements? If not, might I suggest you do? Sometimes these can be a better guide to what’s going on than weight on its own.

And how are your blood sugars doing? That’s the most important metric for someone newly diagnosed - get that right and other things will follow.

Mrsg11

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think there are times we all feel demitivated

And there is more than 1 occasion that I've eaten almost everything edible in the house

Keep your spirits up.. Keep tryinging

Maybe add a little gentle exercise if you don't already to help burn the calories
Thanks @searley yes that ia definitely how I feel tonight, have been exercising more but a bit set back this week due a nasty aore on my foot which has hindered me but still kept on the diet and done a few yoga sessions... Just shows the difference exercise makes

Mrsg11

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @Mrsg11

Sounds like you’ve made some great changes and are doing well. It’s natural for weight to ebb and flow without any changes to diet so please don’t despair and 3-4 pounds a week is quite a lot, so this could just be a natural flattening out.

Do you also take body measurements? If not, might I suggest you do? Sometimes these can be a better guide to what’s going on than weight on its own.

And how are your blood sugars doing? That’s the most important metric for someone newly diagnosed - get that right and other things will follow.
Thanks @Goonergal, I'm trying which is main thing & keep reminding myself its a marathon not a race.

Haven't been take measurements but thats a good idea might start!

Re testing my doc doesn't think it's necessary & to be honest I wouldnt have any idea where to begin, doc has referred me for podiatry/eye checks, dietician & education sessions maybe something wthing will come from that, am on 1500g metformin and have been pretty much left too it, so whilst there's delay with all referrals just trying to lose some lbs whilst waiting

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
So from my diagnosis 4 weeks ago i have cut out bread, potatoes, pasta keeping carbs low & between 50-100g per day, moatly 60-70g and keeping calories to average of 1200 per day, this was working & i was steadily losing 3-4 lbs a week which I was happy with, but this week I have gained 2lb, i haven't done anything different... Baffled.. Fed up & demotivated & now i just want to get a takeaway.... Sorry rant over!!
Bodily weight fluctuates daily. It is perfectly possible to put on or lose 2kg from day to day without anything changing. It could be that you ate a few more carbs and your body has absorbed more water or to be blunt, you haven't gone to the toilet yet...

It's normal, so don't get discouraged!

So, do you weigh yourself at the same time of the day on those days you do? Personally I weigh myself first thing in the morning after waking and after going to the toilet. I also use a site called weightgrapher.com because it shows the trend

Over time is important, week on week weight will change, but watch the trend.

Another thing is weight loss will slow. Most sites recommend a kg a week is sustainable max loss, and as you get lighter it will slow, as the body needs less calories/energy which makes sense as you are carrying less around (sorry).

You likely get also lose faster at the beginning, it will then slower and eventually plateau. Since may until i hit my target I was a steady kg a week pretty much until I got to a certain few months in and then it slowed naturally.

I have graphed daily at times and it's like a rollercoaster
Have attached my 3 month view, but can assure you a week view can be as bouncy but my trend is down and that's the main thing

Attachments

• 40907EFD-E005-4A18-A438-3FE06460656D.jpeg
    40907EFD-E005-4A18-A438-3FE06460656D.jpeg
    184 KB · Views: 122
Last edited:
Reactions: Mrsg11 and EllieM

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Re testing my doc doesn't think it's necessary & to be honest I wouldnt have any idea where to begin

I’d strongly urge you to reconsider that. Testing is what gives you information about how your body is dealing with specific meals/foods. By testing immediately before and again two hours after the first bite, you’ll see which foods cause a spike in blood glucose and which don’t. This is vital information for adjusting your diet.

Unfortunately many type 2s are given the advice that they don’t need to test. Mainly because that avoids the need for the NHS to fund the meter and strips.

People here can help with information on meters (strips are the biggest cost, so if self-funding, that’s the most important consideration) and tips on testing. Just shout! And have a read of this thread: https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/have-you-been-told-not-to-test-your-blood-sugars.66574/

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Surely your aim is to put your diabetes to flight, restore normal blood glucose levels and get your metabolism back in balance?
If you are trying to reduce your weight then it is a good thing when a few pounds vanish away, but that isn't going to reduce your blood glucose. Eating a low calorie diet might have slowed your metabolism - we can adapt to survive famine so you might have cut down too much.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
testing my doc doesn't think it's necessary
They say that because if they agree its necessary they would have to pay for it! And there's an awful lot of us out here with millions more to be diagnosed 9ver the next few years.
My spend on testing in a year has been less than £150 and I did a lot initially. A starter pack is only about £20and gives invaluable information instantly

Ronancastled

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Something similar happened to me. My weight loss post diagnosis was more stepped than linear. One week I lost 9lbs going low carb, the next I would break even with the same regime. Apparently the body has a temporary way of stopping weight loss when it perceives a starvation mode. For me it would break the following week & I'd be down a further 5lbs.

Keep it up

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I am another one who bought my own meter and test sticks. I don't see how you can balance carbs and blood sugar without it. The 3 month test at the diabetic clinic is an average so can't show if you are having spikes after certain foods. And spikes matter.

I started testing first thing (fasting) then before plus 2 hours after every meal.
We all react differently, eg I can eat a few raspberries but not the same carbs in strawberries. I discovered my blood sugar went down fast on 100g a day but I needed to get below 85g to fix the morning fasting test (dawn phenomenon) and that I couldn't have more than 30g in one meal.
Others can eat a little more, many need to go lower.

Now I test once a week, unless I am eating a new food that I haven't tested before.

Mrsg11

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am another one who bought my own meter and test sticks. I don't see how you can balance carbs and blood sugar without it. The 3 month test at the diabetic clinic is an average so can't show if you are having spikes after certain foods. And spikes matter.

I started testing first thing (fasting) then before plus 2 hours after every meal.
We all react differently, eg I can eat a few raspberries but not the same carbs in strawberries. I discovered my blood sugar went down fast on 100g a day but I needed to get below 85g to fix the morning fasting test (dawn phenomenon) and that I couldn't have more than 30g in one meal.
Others can eat a little more, many need to go lower.

Now I test once a week, unless I am eating a new food that I haven't tested before.
Thanks TriciaWs you make alot of sense, i still feel a bit clueless if I'm honest...hopefully my referrals come through soon!!