PUTTING ME ON STATINS...SHOULD I / SHOULDN’T I?

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Out of interest, my Dr only gave me total and HDL. They said "Sheffield does not give the full sets of result's" or something along those lines. Has any one had that, can I request the full information or do some hospitals simply not do the test in that way?
Sounds like nonsense reply from your GP. He can order a full fasting lipids breakdown like my DN does. Make sure you have access online to your surgery's medical info including your test results and Medical history so you can see the results yourself and not what the GP chooses to tell you - it's your right. If the GP won't do the full lipids test then refuse statins until he does.

Reactions: PeterHud

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
You cannot be forced to take anything, so it is your choice, not someone else's. Don't be bullied or feel pressured if you don't want to take them. Ask about side effects, what they are etc. Do they deplete coq10 levels and vit k2 levels, they are known to do this. If your gp doesn't know have answers or won't answer them then I think it's not hard to decide what to do if the person wanting to put you on them doesn't even know what the drugs negatives are.

Your gp can order a full set of lipids, don't be fobbed off with what you were told. If your gp is being dishonest with you then that is poor practice and a lousy gp if you ask me. They are your results, you are entitled to know them.

BTW ' Love the avatar, my fave doctor who right there.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Sounds like nonsense reply from your GP. He can order a full fasting lipids breakdown like my DN does. Make sure you have access online to your surgery's medical info including your test results and Medical history so you can see the results yourself and not what the GP chooses to tell you - it's your right. If the GP won't do the full lipids test then refuse statins until he does.
I would just add to this great comment that one should fast for 12 hours before a full lipid panel is done. Water only so as to get the best picture available. (Some folk are told by HCPs that fasting is not necessary but lipids are directly affected by intake of food/drinks.)

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Your post is like a blast from the past. "Oh dear Sir, you have a hangnail and I think I will put you on statins because my tick chart says so."

I tried several different statins. Two of them put me in a chair (leg pains) for a month each time and the third got me sent to the physio since everything above my waist seized up. Couldn't turn my head or lift my arms properly. I am now recorded as "Intolerant of statins". It was a year of hell.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
It is irresponsible for anyone to administer such a potentially dangerous drug WITHOUT totally understanding the negatives that many endure. They damaged me, but not irreparably.

Reactions: Guzzler

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Your post is like a blast from the past. "Oh dear Sir, you have a hangnail and I think I will put you on statins because my tick chart says so."

I tried several different statins. Two of them put me in a chair (leg pains) for a month each time and the third got me sent to the physio since everything above my waist seized up. Couldn't turn my head or lift my arms properly. I am now recorded as "Intolerant of statins". It was a year of hell.
I have also been recorded as ‘Statin intolerant’ as neither myself or my GP want to take the risk of my BS increasing to diabetic levels again.

Reactions: HSSS

jimmyt2dm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all,
So diagnosed in May when my blood sugar was a crazy 113. It is now 46.
Speaking to my Doctor yesterday about my cholesterol, in May it was 14.6!!! And today it is 6.6.
So, a huge reduction thank goodness. Don’t know if this is due to getting my blood sugar right down, losing 21lbs, drinking 2 carb lowering yoghurt drinks every day since May, eating porridge most mornings or all working together.
Anyway, all though it’s way lower, it is still too high, so he wants to put me on statins and I am reluctant.
Does anyone have any good stories to tell about them? Any and all words of advice would be appreciated and also words on how to get it down more.
Thanks all.
Hello my friend,
You don't need the statins. Definitely do some research on the cholesterol and statin myth. I would not take any advice from a medical doctor that prescribes medicine. Go find a natural doctor that uses food as medicine.

Stay healthy.