1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

PUTTING ME ON STATINS...SHOULD I / SHOULDN’T I?

Discussion in 'Type 2 Diabetes' started by presidentholmes, Oct 1, 2019.

1. Daibell

Daibell LADA · Master

Sounds like nonsense reply from your GP. He can order a full fasting lipids breakdown like my DN does. Make sure you have access online to your surgery's medical info including your test results and Medical history so you can see the results yourself and not what the GP chooses to tell you - it's your right. If the GP won't do the full lipids test then refuse statins until he does.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Tophat1900

Tophat1900 Type 3c · Well-Known Member

You cannot be forced to take anything, so it is your choice, not someone else's. Don't be bullied or feel pressured if you don't want to take them. Ask about side effects, what they are etc. Do they deplete coq10 levels and vit k2 levels, they are known to do this. If your gp doesn't know have answers or won't answer them then I think it's not hard to decide what to do if the person wanting to put you on them doesn't even know what the drugs negatives are.

Your gp can order a full set of lipids, don't be fobbed off with what you were told. If your gp is being dishonest with you then that is poor practice and a lousy gp if you ask me. They are your results, you are entitled to know them.

BTW ' Love the avatar, my fave doctor who right there.

3. Guzzler

Guzzler Type 2 · Master

I would just add to this great comment that one should fast for 12 hours before a full lipid panel is done. Water only so as to get the best picture available. (Some folk are told by HCPs that fasting is not necessary but lipids are directly affected by intake of food/drinks.)

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. Squire Fulwood

Squire Fulwood Type 2 · Expert

Your post is like a blast from the past. "Oh dear Sir, you have a hangnail and I think I will put you on statins because my tick chart says so."

I tried several different statins. Two of them put me in a chair (leg pains) for a month each time and the third got me sent to the physio since everything above my waist seized up. Couldn't turn my head or lift my arms properly. I am now recorded as "Intolerant of statins". It was a year of hell.

• Hug Hug x 1
  5. Mike d

Mike d Type 2 · Expert

It is irresponsible for anyone to administer such a potentially dangerous drug WITHOUT totally understanding the negatives that many endure. They damaged me, but not irreparably.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Daphne917

Daphne917 Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

I have also been recorded as ‘Statin intolerant’ as neither myself or my GP want to take the risk of my BS increasing to diabetic levels again.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. jimmyt2dm

jimmyt2dm Type 2 · Member

Hello my friend,
    You don't need the statins. Definitely do some research on the cholesterol and statin myth. I would not take any advice from a medical doctor that prescribes medicine. Go find a natural doctor that uses food as medicine.

Stay healthy.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook