putting on weight

barriewalsh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, I'm 76 years young and have been a Type 2 diabetic for over 3 years. Eating low carb, Dr Berstein, I've gone from 72 kilos to 50 kilos but nobody seems to beable to tell me how to PUT ON WEIGHT without increasing my blood glucose readings. Anyone got any suggestions ?

forge

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Getting old and everything that goes with it. All the repeats on TV. The drongos who ring me up to sell me things. Religious havens for pedophiles and war-mongers.
Yes,Barrie eat more carbs and take more meds.I know it is obvious but our overall goal is good health which includes a healthy weight. I expect at your age and weight any other medical setback could be disasterous.

Bone density and a lot of other nutrient deficiencies could become an issue. Over 70 and diabetic makes us HIGH RISK heart attack

I am 71 and could swap some KGs with you I am 10 kg too heavy and my weight loss is a bit stalled at the mo.

Today I have a touch of gout so I am stuck for mobility.Gout can kill if you get it in your kidneys.

Surviving this far without losing eyesight digits or limbs is good it is science that keeps me alive ie a handful of tablets and a pacemaker.

If I were you I would go to the non diabetic diet like the multitude and on to whatever meds are necessary.

I am o a prescribed no major carbs diet and I am to increase carbs when I can.

Last edited by a moderator:

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Are you having enough proteins and fats? Do ensure you are having an adequte input from these before increasing the carbs too far.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'd talk to a dietitian, you may not be eating enough health fat, olive oil etc is the normal reason, Dr Berstein is about 30g of carb so you need 170g fat and 80g protein, it’s a long page and a few good video’s
http://www.dietdoctor.com/lchf

if you have enough fat, you can increase protein, if your kidneys are ok, with the help of your dr advice

Reactions: 2 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

If you want to stick with Bernstein (who is brilliant, and whose eating plan is brilliant) but want to gain weight, then my view is that you should add a few more carbs/protein, up to your personal carb threshold (the max carb intake you can eat before your blood glucose goes out of your target zone).

Then add fat.

This webpage may give you some guidance, although it is set up for weight loss, not gain.
http://www.phlaunt.com/lowcarb/DietMakeupCalc.php

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. If you do see a dietician just make sure it's someone who understands diabetes

Reactions: 2 people