Puzzled by blood sugar level

Ben46

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Hi,

I’m a type 2 diabetic, have been for 3 years. Today, I went a bit mad sugar wise, I didn’t have time for lunch but I was at an event that had laid on cakes. So, I ate two large cakes. I also won a box of Celebrations which I was going to take home for my son, however I thought I’d just have one and of course ended up eating the whole box on the train home.

About 4 hours later I tested my blood sugars expecting it to be through the roof. It was 4.2mmol/l which is far lower than anything I have previously measured, I think my previous lowest has been 5.2.

Does anyone know what is going on?
Does this mean I can change to a cake and chocolate diet?

Thanks

Ben46

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Hi,

I’m a type 2 diabetic, have been for 3 years. Today, I went a bit mad sugar wise, I didn’t have time for lunch but I was at an event that had laid on cakes. So, I ate two large cakes. I also won a box of Celebrations which I was going to take home for my son, however I thought I’d just have one and of course ended up eating the whole box on the train home.

About 4 hours later I tested my blood sugars expecting it to be through the roof. It was 4.2mmol/l which is far lower than anything I have previously measured, I think my previous lowest has been 5.2.

Does anyone know what is going on?
Does this mean I can change to a cake and chocolate diet?

Thanks

It says I’m insulin dependent, I’m not I take metformin

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I would guess a rogue reading.
Did you change your lancet and the test strip

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
2 large cakes and a box of Celebrations? I think that good reading was the dyinig spurt of your pancreas. Do not repeat that experiment and return to Living La Vida Low Carb ! On a technical note eating a ton of quick release sugar would be expected to produce a corresponding insulin spke to take your bg down again quickly...

Reactions: LouWilk059

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If your status says insulin dependent you can change this by going to your profile, looking at the drop down box and changing it to Type 2. There is a glitch on the forum at the moment.

The cakes and chocolates will have raised your levels sky high, but by 4 hours these will have dropped lower than usual. It happens this way after we have a sudden intake of a lot of sugar or bodies are not expecting. It happened to me after an oral glucose tolerance test when I drank 75g of pure glucose on an empty stomach. I shot right up then once I started to come down I had dropped like a stone before 3 hours..

The experience should not be repeated! :)

LouWilk059

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
dishonesty, people who throw garbage out on to the streets,
Ben: "Does this mean I can change to a cake and chocolate diet?"

Nicole: "2 large cakes and a box of Celebrations? I think that good reading was the dying spurt of your pancreas."

Too funny!

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sometimes, this is what happens...
upload_2018-1-20_8-28-39-png.24982

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type