puzzled parents regarding pumps

Zyroman

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all, parent of a 12 year old 3 years T1, we are running G6 self funded and have found it pretty good although they seemed to have closed the restarting loophole ? anyway east lancs NHS trust are willing to fund a pump and have offered these three (assuming they do not change their minds) omnipod, Roche insight and the medtronic 540G. He is fine with injecting and now having looked at the pumps I am wondering if it is all worth it. he is bad enough at keeping his phone with him for the G6 so the thought of having to carry something else around looks like an accident waiting to happen. I assumed they would all offer control via a phone but no. We would also have to switch from G6 of we went Medtronic I understand but I cannot find any pricing without giving them all mt details on their website. can anyone offer any advice. I want it to be simple for him and us and dont want to be wasting NHS time and money only to discover that it isn't for him. best regards.

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Always a tricky choice.
You might enquire about the Tandem Slimx2 pump to see when it is due in the UK.
It is being upgraded, software wise, for Dexcom CGM., including the stop infusion for low BSLs.
I think this upgrade has already happened in US, and is due here in Australia later this year.
As you will have noted the Omnipod has the separate device/controller and is not CGM compatible yet , The Roche is not CGM compatible yet and Medtronics run the own CGM version.
@tim2000s may know if the G6 can be linked unofficially to a Medtronics pump though !
Best Wishes.
I was diagnosed at age 13, 52 years ago, so let him know that he has a lot of dish-washing and other chores to do and plenty of time to perfect them !!:):):)

Zyroman

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
Always a tricky choice.
You might enquire about the Tandem Slimx2 pump to see when it is due in the UK.
It is being upgraded, software wise, for Dexcom CGM., including the stop infusion for low BSLs.
I think this upgrade has already happened in US, and is due here in Australia later this year.
As you will have noted the Omnipod has the separate device/controller and is not CGM compatible yet , The Roche is not CGM compatible yet and Medtronics run the own CGM version.
@tim2000s may know if the G6 can be linked unofficially to a Medtronics pump though !
Best Wishes.
I was diagnosed at age 13, 52 years ago, so let him know that he has a lot of dish-washing and other chores to do and plenty of time to perfect them !!:):):)

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @Zyroman

I use the Medtronic 640g which can be used alongside the enlite sensor, it offers a smart guard feature allowing the pump to stop insulin supply if glucose levels drop, costs as per @tim2000s thread on pump funding are: Note that Enlite CGM Sensors can also be purchased at a cost of £525 for 10 or £275 for 5.

I also use the G6 alongside it as the G6 works out to be a bit cheaper, they can be extended though so have a look into this.

Reactions: kitedoc

Zyroman

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
Many thanks for the prompt response, we did ask about other pumps but they said they cannot even fund the 670 currently. I guess that things will start to move more quickly on the tech front now more cgm are coming to market.

Zyroman

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Zyroman

I use the Medtronic 640g which can be used alongside the enlite sensor, it offers a smart guard feature allowing the pump to stop insulin supply if glucose levels drop, costs as per @tim2000s thread on pump funding are: Note that Enlite CGM Sensors can also be purchased at a cost of £525 for 10 or £275 for 5.

I also use the G6 alongside it as the G6 works out to be a bit cheaper, they can be extended though so have a look into this.

Zyroman

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
We had no problems restarting G5 and did ok with G6 at first but have had issues with last three and I just assumed they had closed that loophole with a new app version. To be honest if we cannot roll them on then it is getting too expensive.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Hi @Zyroman - I don't think they've closed the restart loophole on the G6. I'm still able to do it (and there is a way to do it on the Dexcom app as well).

The Medtronic sensors are considerably more expensive than the Dexcom ones and last for six days, so you'll usually pay out ~£220 per month for them on the Medtronic deal.

You'll also have to fork out for the transmitter, which is another £490. Unfunded Medtronic CGM is very expensive. The sensors can be restarted but people don't get a lot of time out of them.

I'd agree with the view that the best bet is the Tandem T:Slim X2 with the software update for G6 when it becomes available.