Q-10 and Quercetin.....

Anthea9

Hi,

Does anyone know anything about these two supplements regarding their effect (bad or good) in Diabetics please?

I would like to take these..
1. as an anti inflamatory
2. Increase energy without the use of caffein or guarana.. because after the gym I get todally exhausted for days. I am averaging x2 days a week excercise and I would like to do more but don't have the energy for it.

I want to lower my meds (ultimately) and so need to increase my excerise.

Any help would be so gtaefull accepted. As far as I have read, there seems to be no contraindications for Diabetics on either of these. They also destroy free radicals...which damage cells and during exercise the body has extra free radicals.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Here is a link to a previous thread about this supplement...........

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=11061

I've read lots of good things about it but have to admit I have never taken any. The problem I have is that most of the 'good' things are from those who are selling or promoting it, however there are always two sides to every story.

Here is a link to the Mayo Clinic website with some 'evidence' about the supplement..........

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/coenzy ... N=evidence

Diabetes
Preliminary evidence suggests that CoQ10 does not affect blood sugar levels in patients with type 1 or type 2 diabetes, and it does not alter the need for diabetes medications.

Most of the 'evidence' here suggests that it might not work in many cases or is unclear........you will have to make your own mind up about that. Me......not a lover of supplements unless it has been proven by tests that I actually am deficient in some way and actually need them !

Hobs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
Argumenative barstifferous (new word *lol*) types who think that they know everything *wink*
I was always dead against supplements until I developed nasty muscle side effects with a statin I was taking. I was changed to another statin but the pains persisted so I was changed to yet another but also advised to buy myself a Co Q-10 supplement from Healthspan.... Google will find it for you ( other search engines do exist lol )
The pains subsided and they no longer bother me so I also raised the issue with my cardiologist. I was told that all statins (some more than others) not only stop certain lipids build-up but as a side effect also stop natural Q-10 that is essential for efficient muscle movement. He went on to say that as the heart is a massive muscle Q-10 is also essential for full heart function so I should definately keep on taking my daily capsule.

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Hobbs
What strength of q10 do you take please .There is a lot of difference in price.Do you get yours on prescription now you have been recomended it
CAROL

Hobs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
Argumenative barstifferous (new word *lol*) types who think that they know everything *wink*
I was told that the 30mg would be fine as that is more than enough and what is not needed is simply excreted... I think it comes under the heading of 'trace' requirements so I expect that most of the 30mg is wasted, but that is the lowest size I can find.

No, I do not get them on a script, but to be honest, I have never asked. . . . my repeat prescription list is a long + expensive one :oops: and I can afford to buy my own Co Q-10

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks Hobs
I use 30 mg as well it has not affected my BGs .Both my husband and my self had irregular heartbeats which stopped after taking q10 .This may be coincedence who knows.
CAROL

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
I have been taking Q10 for retinopathy. Anyone know if it really works for that?

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dont know but I havent got it :!:
CAROL

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
Neither have I! Does that mean it works?
I am just trying to prevent it.