Q about hand washing/alcohol wipes

BunsenHoneydew

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Hello

I have watched a few YouTube videos about how to use the glucose meter (including the one made by the manufacturer) and want to ask if it is ok to use an alcohol wipe or a general antibac cleaning wipe if you can't get to somewhere to wash your hands? I have those little alcohol squares that are for pre injection cleaning (I use them when painting my nails!)

Is it ok if you go into a bathroom to test? E.g. if you are somewhere out and that is the only private place.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
My DN told me to just wipe away the first drop of blood and use the second one when not washing hands. So I never bother to wash hands before testing, too much hassle to get them dry enough to get a nice round drop of blood. I never use wipes for anyting. I retest with a cleaner finger when I think the result is odd. Most of us don't like to use bathrooms to test. If you're able to, I would try to get over the feeling you need a private place to test, life is a lot easier if you just test wherever you are when you want to test :) For people on blood-glucose lowering drugs, it's a must. A hypo won't wait until it's convenient for you!
Good luck!

Reactions: BunsenHoneydew

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I thought that alcohol swabs might affect the result. I get Accucheck alcohol free saline soaked wipes from Boots for the odd occasion when I can’t wash my hands. Testing in restaurants for example is easy, I just put the testing kit on my lap and test under the cover of the table!

Reactions: BunsenHoneydew

BunsenHoneydew

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
If you're able to, I would try to get over the feeling you need a private place to test, life is a lot easier if you just test wherever you are when you want to test :)

I tested at my desk at work today! And didn't panic *too* much when a colleague came in to give me my post :-o

TheBigNewt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I rarely wash my hands and have never owned an alcohol wipe. First drop of blood goes straight on the strip.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I thought that alcohol swabs might affect the result. I get Accucheck alcohol free saline soaked wipes from Boots for the odd occasion when I can’t wash my hands. Testing in restaurants for example is easy, I just put the testing kit on my lap and test under the cover of the table!
Saline wetwipes may alter the reading since the meter uses electrical conductance to measure bgl. and salt increases conductivity. water residue has similar effect due to impurities, Test site needs to be clean snd dry for best results so make sure you rinse with clean water then dry thoroughly before testing. I used to use a handwash lotion until I realized it raised my levels, Now I use the lotion then rinse thoroughly wirh warm water and dry with a clean paper towel or tissue.

Last edited:

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Saline wetwipes may alter the reading since the meter uses electrical conductance to measure bgl. and salt increases conductivity. water residue has similar effect due to impurities, Test site needs to be clean snd dry for best results so make sure you rinse with clean water then dry thoroughly before testing. I used to use a handwash lotion until I realized it raised my levels, Now I use the lotion then rinse thoroughly wirh warm water and dry with a clean paper towel ir tissue.
That makes me wonder why they are sold by Accucheck then, as they are obvious aimed at diabetics. I do make sure my finger is completely dry before I stab.