1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

quality diet = quality life?

Discussion in 'Diabetes Discussions' started by Resurgam, May 27, 2017.

1. Resurgam

Resurgam Type 2 (in remission!) · Expert

I have realised that I am just so lucky to have always had to consider what I ate, and I have a BSc - which was a bit unexpected and arrived out of the blue.

I could - possibly, eat the small amount of carbs my situation allows on the Flour and Fructose diet, just counting carbs - but I feel ncredulous at the sparseness of nutrition, I think that my lunch had been organically produced eggs - boiled and chopped, grated red Leicester cheese with a creamy coleslaw of cabbage, onion and carrot, with a 7 leaf green salad, with an EV olive oil and white wine vinegar dressing, with finely sliced tomato and radishes, then freshly made coffee and cream with a couple of squares of high cocoa dark chocolate.

I forget what I had for dinner - but I am sure that I enjoyed it just as much - it might have involved fish, now I think about it.

If it is my fate to be diabetic and have to consider what I eat every day of my life, I do sometimes wonder at my good fortune and wonder if I should make some sort of pilgrimage or suchlike in order to give thanks for it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    #1 Resurgam, May 27, 2017 at 1:36 PM
    Last edited by a moderator: May 27, 2017
  2. Lampman

Lampman Type 2 · Well-Known Member

There has to be an advantage to being diabetic, in my mind. If eating things I like is that advantage it will do for me! I have the good fortune to enjoy all of those things that we all know to be good.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Robbity

Robbity Type 2 · Expert

I too enjoy the foods I eat on my low carb diet, and this means I can have a healthy and varied diet and keep my glucose levels down.

And diabetes certainly has the advantage that I can now insist on having the food that will keep me healthy! :D

Robbity

• Agree Agree x 3
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook