JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I am in a bit of a dilemma I recently after several years with diabetes have been provided with prescription meter and test strips what I am unsure of is would it be worth continuing with self funding Libre2 sensors, wife said why bother if you are not having to buy test strips. I'm wondering if it's worth continuing self funding the libre or not what do you think.

• Informative
Reactions: jjraak

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I would be tempted to stick with the libre for a month, if only to see how it compares with the strips, and decide after that.
Yes I may do that the reason I was given the meter and strips is because my CKD is getting worse eGfr now down to 33 high bg is bad for kidneys so need to keep a close eye on bg hence the quandary do I just rely on strips or keep self funding Libre and use both.

• Hug
Reactions: Lainie71 and jjraak

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think I'd be tempted to continue with the Libre for some time at least.

I know that when I used the original Libre, I saw the same sort of patterns and trends as with my Contour meter but the sensor consistently reported 1-1.5 lower, and predicted a much lower HbA1c.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
For me it was worth self funding for a couple of years until I got the Libre funded, despite getting enough teststrips.
I know, different type of diabetes and all that, but if you felt teststrips alone did the job well enough, wouldn't you have bought strips instead of sensors?

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I think I'd be tempted to continue with the Libre for some time at least.

I know that when I used the original Libre, I saw the same sort of patterns and trends as with my Contour meter but the sensor consistently reported 1-1.5 lower, and predicted a much lower HbA1c.
Yes I agree with what you say thanks.
For me it was worth self funding for a couple of years until I got the Libre funded, despite getting enough teststrips.
I know, different type of diabetes and all that, but if you felt teststrips alone did the job well enough, wouldn't you have bought strips instead of sensors?
So very true Antje

thank you all for your thoughts and I believe I shall continue with the libre for a while longer it may help me get things back under control or at least improve the situation it seems to be the majority view.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Well new sensor ordered though have not told Judith yet I'm sure she will see the sense of it eventually.

• Optimistic
Reactions: jjraak and Antje77

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I Read you agree , John

But I couldn't have put my reply, as succinctly as that..bravo @Antje77

Best wishes the dual testing helps improve things or at least keeps the status quo ..< thumbs up >

Last edited:
  • Friendly
Reactions: Antje77

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Show her this thread if needed...
I woke her up in the middle of the night to tell her and she was too angry about being disturbed to worry about the fact that I had ordered a sensor.
Any way she now agrees that it is sensible. :)

I think next time I will order her one too as she is getting a bit fed up with finger pricking.

Bogie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes
Personally, I opted to continue self-funding my Libre. The convenience, time-saving, and ability to take multiple readings, are all benefits well worth it if the user can afford the cost. I was horrible at taking the time and remembering to use the traditional finger-pricking process. There really was no advantage to occasional and poorly timed blood glucose testing using the finger-pricking method. Many days not doing it at all.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
When I started self funding Libre I was still getting my test strips funded.
Although funding was recently cut, I still buy test strips to cross check on the Libre.
However I find the Libre gives me much more comprehensive information, and is easier to read that sitting down to use a test strip.

Reactions: JohnEGreen

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Yes I may do that the reason I was given the meter and strips is because my CKD is getting worse eGfr now down to 33 high bg is bad for kidneys so need to keep a close eye on bg hence the quandary do I just rely on strips or keep self funding Libre and use both.
At one point my eGFR was 55.
Now it is usually around 77 (which I understand is normal for my age).
The one thing I changed was drinking extra water for a day before my blood test.
From this I concluded that my kidneys were still capable of clearing stuff, if I gave them a bit more water to flush things out.

The point of this is to suggest that (if you don't drink loads of water) you could try really upping your water intake before your next blood test.
You may find you get a better result.
Worth trying just for the extra information.

• Friendly
Reactions: JohnEGreen