Query on flour alternatives.

SoulfulXombi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Based on what I can see on line it looks like buying and grinding flax seed might be the cheapest option for a flour alternative

I know a lot of people rave about Almond flour but on a budget that's too pricy (as are the almonds generally on all the sites I have scoured in the quantity I would need to grind).

Anyway on to the question are most of these flour types interchangeable in recipes (i.e. if a recipe says almond or coconut flour would flax work ok, all be it with a different taste I guess)

I'm not really a cook so unsure on how these work in recipes.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I’ve only used coconut and almonds as flour. I do add ground Flaxseed to soups or salads for its nutritional benefits. I’m not sure whether it would work as a flour substitute, I guess you’d have to just try it and see. I’ve never swapped coconut for almond or vice versa as I gather coconut flour needs more moisture and I don’t feel confident meddling with the recipes. Oh and also I buy ground almonds rather than almond flour as it’s cheaper and I don’t think it makes much difference to the result.

Reactions: SoulfulXombi

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Based on what I can see on line it looks like buying and grinding flax seed might be the cheapest option for a flour alternative

I know a lot of people rave about Almond flour but on a budget that's too pricy (as are the almonds generally on all the sites I have scoured in the quantity I would need to grind).

Anyway on to the question are most of these flour types interchangeable in recipes (i.e. if a recipe says almond or coconut flour would flax work ok, all be it with a different taste I guess)

I'm not really a cook so unsure on how these work in recipes.

Hi @SoulfulXombi,

I find flaxseed flour by itself can taste a bit like cardboard when baking. I usually mix it with other flours. For the keto bread recipe on dietdoctor.com, I use one quarter cup of almond flour, 2 quarter cups of lupin flour, one quarter cup of flaxseed flour and one quarter cup of hempseed flour and a quarter cup of psyllium husk.

You probably have to play around a bit to see what you like. I also find that using spices (ground coriander seeds and ground caraway seeds for example) quite liberally helps.

Wurst

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Narcissistic forum members
Almond flour for me. I got fed up with the high prices for ground almonds so starting grinding my own. Aldi sell 200g whole almonds fairly cheap.