Type 1 Question about expired Insulin

Specsquee

Type of diabetes
Type 1
So I am currently on Toujeo and due to hard times I will not have any money until Saturday to pick up a pen and only have one day left. I was given a pack of Lantus (from a friend) after I was diagnosed in 2016 that has been sitting in my fridge but it expired 08/17. Is their any issues with changing up Insulins for a few days for my long lasting or should I be selling pawning something to be able to get my pen.

Thank you in advance.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello @Specsquee If that's all you've got then you have no choice but to take it, if anything it may not be as effective however if it's been stored ok in the fridge then it should still have some efficacy. Just take care with adjusting your doses from switching from toujeo to lantus and back again as toujeo is a more concentrated insulin than Lantus so check your doses carefully.

james11

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello @Specsquee If that's all you've got then you have no choice but to take it, if anything it may not be as effective however if it's been stored ok in the fridge then it should still have some efficacy. Just take care with adjusting your doses from switching from toujeo to lantus and back again as toujeo is a more concentrated insulin than Lantus so check your doses carefully.
I doubt very much that any medical pr