question about hba1c

The Balladeer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
arrogant doctors spreading misinformation insulin price
is it normal the slow decrease in my hba1c levels I was at first 10.5 ( 91 mmo/mol ) august 2023 i did the next test November 2023 the test was 9.6 ( 81 mmo/mol ) the next one a month ago 8.5 ( 69 mmo/mol) so just 2% in 6 months is that normal should I try to bring it down faster or this rate is good

ajbod

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
As a type 2, i personally would aim for a quicker drop. BUT as a type 1 on Insulin, it's more a case of slow and steady wins the race. For safety reasons that reduction is pretty spot on.

Nicola M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
As a Type 1 who dropped their HbA1c from 78 -> 38 in less than 6 months ish? (not by trying just hybrid closed-loop things), it's not something I would personally recommend or even a doctor would probably recommend. A significant drop of 3% or more in a short space of time can bring on Retinopathy. I started at 78mmol/mol in December '21 and by June '22 at 38mmol/mol I was diagnosed with Maculopathy which unfortunately is still present. Slow and steady does indeed win the race and personally, I would be very happy with that reduction. Just keep at it and you'll get there in the end! :)

• Hug
Reactions: Hopeful34

Gracetype1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I second that! I brought mine down from 100 - 51 very quickly after receiving the Libre Sensor; my retinopathy and maculopathy advanced from stage 1 to stage 3. Was told it was likely the very quick drop in A1c. Slow and steady while you adjust to new lifestyle changes etc it's coming down safely and that's the main thing- You're doing a brilliant job!