Question about hypos and DVLA

celtic_way

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
diabetes
hi can anyone tell me if you have a hypo needing third party assistance do you get suspended from driving even though you pulled in to lay-by 20 minutes at least before it happened ?

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
hi can anyone tell me if you have a hypo needing third party assistance do you get suspended from driving even though you pulled in to lay-by 20 minutes at least before it happened ?

I think if you've suffered disabling hypoglycaemia while driving you should tell DVLA, you might get advised to stop driving or they might require some assurance from your doctor that youre fit to drive. But it shouldn't result in a suspension of your licence.

To be allowed to drive a car you need to have had not more than 1 severe hypo (that's defined as a hypo requiring third party assistance) in the last 12 months. Although if you're driving a bus or a lorry then you aren't allowed any severe hypos.

Obviously you should make sure youre meeting all the othe driving rules too: test before driving and at least every two hours during driving and be 5 to drive.

If this is your second in a 12 month period you might be advised to stop driving until you've gone 12 months without a severe hypo, in which case you should follow the advice.

You should tell your DSN or doctor about this episode and they might have some advice on driving safety or they might tell DVLA. If they do give you advice on driving safety, do follow it, you did all the right things to mange to pull in and I'm sure you don't want to be in that position again.

Reactions: azure