Question About Swimming With Libre

Auckland Canary

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Everyone,

I am thinking about getting myself a Libre and trialling it for a month or to see how I get on. I am doing a triathlon next month which includes a 1.5k swim which will take me somewhere between 40 and 50 minutes. Now I have done some research and also checked with the company and they say that I should not swim for longer than half and hour with the sensor.

My question is has anyone done a swim of this length wearing one and are they just covering their backs (as many companies do with things like sell by dates etc) and have the sensors been OK afterwards? I suppose I can time it so the sensor is near the end of it's 2 week life span anyway so if it does break it won't matter but would be grateful if anyone else has experience of this type of thing?

Cheers

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@maglil55 does a lot of swimming with hers, but not long distances. She has a way of covering the sensor to keep it from falling off, which is the problem with water.

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Wow @Auckland Canary , sounds fab!

As you've already mentioned, perhaps timing your initial sensor application so it's nearing the end of its life at triathlon time would be sensible - but I have to say that on the occasion when I spent an entire spa day swimming and jacuzzi-ing my sensor was definitely underwater for more than the time specified, and it was fine.

I it's probably a case of 'try it and see', while bearing in mind if it does fail and Abbott know it's been underwater for longer than their recommendation, you are unlikely to be offered a free replacement.

Good luck with the tri!

izzyj09

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hey ! I'm a water polo player and I've done 2.5 hours in the water with my libre on and it's quite a violent sport ! I put three strips of rock tape H2O over the top of it, and it normally stays on fine ! I've never had any trouble because of it not being in the water that long, although sometimes it can take 15 mins to get a reading on it but that's quite rare now :) good luck with the tri !

bobcurly

Type of diabetes
Type 1
My daughter has spent all day in and out if pools wigh libre covered with tegaderm bought from ebay. It was fine. Good luck x

grva05

Just as a word of warning. I lost a sensor recently after I'd spent a couple of hours hand delivering bumph round the local letter boxes. The weather was very variable and so I was wearing a waterproof. My shirt was wringing wet at the end of the 2 hours and I caught the sensor on the shirt when peeling it off - and off came the sensor too. Lots of body sweat certainly markedly reduces the 'stickability' of the sensor. In these circumstances I'd recommend an adhesive film overlay but I find it is best if someone else applies the film. Applying it yourself, obviously single handed, can result in a very unsatisfactory result. And the film has obviously got to stay there for the life of the sensor. It is hoping for too much to remove the film but leave the sensor behind. Normally I find the sensor sticks fast unless really challenged. However, I can't imagine a sensor surviving a triathlon unless you keep it really dry throughout.

Silas

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta.
Hi Everyone,

I am thinking about getting myself a Libre and trialling it for a month or to see how I get on. I am doing a triathlon next month which includes a 1.5k swim which will take me somewhere between 40 and 50 minutes. Now I have done some research and also checked with the company and they say that I should not swim for longer than half and hour with the sensor.

My question is has anyone done a swim of this length wearing one and are they just covering their backs (as many companies do with things like sell by dates etc) and have the sensors been OK afterwards? I suppose I can time it so the sensor is near the end of it's 2 week life span anyway so if it does break it won't matter but would be grateful if anyone else has experience of this type of thing?

Cheers

I take my grand-daughter swimming most weeks and I am in the pool for and hour and a half. I know this is longer than the 30 minutes stipulated but I haven't had a problem yet....

The trouble is it's an expensive sensor. I recommend that you try it when your sensor is nearing the 14 day life so that if it does fail, you have not wasted too much money.
Howard