Question for the ladies!!!

mouseee

For years I have had no periods due to my pill. Been on it for years and they've stopped it basically. Or they had.... since starting metformin they've started up again. Bit of a shock!

Anyone else had this or similar? I've often wondered in the past if I had PCOS due to other symptoms but never diagnosed. Does this fit too??

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yep, happened to me too, years ago. Metformin can give some people's hormones a jolt

mouseee

Metformin gave me 2 babies after years of fertility treatment including IVF. :)
That's fantastic, I had no idea it packed such a punch!

Thanks ladies, I thought it might not be a coincidence.

I'm a little too long in the tooth for more kids now. The last family planning appt I had menopause was discussed! Looking into reusable pads to use - didn't really exist the last time I needed them!

Reactions: Barb McD

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
For years I have had no periods due to my pill. Been on it for years and they've stopped it basically. Or they had.... since starting metformin they've started up again. Bit of a shock!

Anyone else had this or similar? I've often wondered in the past if I had PCOS due to other symptoms but never diagnosed. Does this fit too??
PCOS is related to insulin resistance, I'm led to believe. Type2 diabetes is IR.
I was on trials in London for Metformin as a treatment for PCOS in the 1990s. My periods became regular than every 8-9mths for the first time in my life.
Metformin is brilliant at turning my hard fat on my stomach area to soft fat which insulin can work better with and the 2 stone I lose on mine also helps with IR. Metformin works with the liver rather than pancreas or glucose in blood in and out of kidneys. I believe type2 is more about the liver than the pancreas. Type2 is about how insulin affects the body if its not produced properly or the body isn't receptive to it and how much the body makes without the liver and other organs and muscles converting it to energy.