Question on HBA1C Results

Fraddycat

Hi everyone,

My doctor gives my HBA1C as a whole number, it was 62 now its 60 and he says I should be getting it to 53. But everyone seems to be talking about HBA1C as a percentage. Please advise how I do the conversion.

Thanks
Jane

didie

Dislikes
People who think they are always right and ram their opinions down your throat. No-one knows everything. Those who shout loudest are usually the ones who actually know the least.

librarising

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Jane,

all you have to do is use this website's own converter :

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/hba1c-units-converter.html

60 is the new way of expressing your HbA1c, and I guess we'll get used to it in the end.
And 7.6 is your value in 'old money.'
Still too high, as it converts to an average blood sugar of 10.8 using this converter :

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/hba1c-to-bloo ... erter.html

Still the good news is that you've just found us, and you 'll get lots of helpful advice.
Your next HbA1c will reflect what you've done about controlling blood sugar in the following ratio
last 30 days 50%
30-90 days 40%
90-120 days 10%

so more recent work is reflected more quickly :D

Geoff

bmurray74

My HBA1C was 101, taken 3 weeks ago. i knew this was high but compared to some of the figures being posted on here im even more worried about it. according to the converter 101 is 53%, should my gp be doing more than giving me metformin?

tree-peony

101 is actually 11.4% which is too high, but increasing meds depends on a lot of factors. Are you recently diagnosed?

tree-peony

I've just a quick look at your other posts bmurray, and see that you've only been diagnosed (and presumably on medication) for 3 weeks. The HbA1c test gives you a result which is an average level over the previous 3 months (more or less!), so includes the period before you were on any medication. If your level has been high for a long time, it can sometimes take a while to return to normal levels. It's taken me nearly 4 months to get down to single figures!

May I ask what changes you have made to your diet?

bmurray74

i've cut out all sweets and chocolate (i used to eat tons), i've also started having breakfast and lunch. previoulsy I didnt eat anything all day and then had a dinner around 9 or 10pm, usually curry or pizza although i was still doing this when i noticed the weight loss. i have cereal or toast for breakfast, sandwich for lunch and then dinner around 5/6 oclock with another snack before bed.

tree-peony

Do you have a glucose meter? the best way of working out what food you can/cannot eat is to test before, and then again 2 hours after. Any rise that's greater than 2, and you need to reduce what ever it was that you ate! Most of us can't tolerate bread (except the odd slice of Burgen) or cereals btw! What are you eating for dinner and snacks?

Hope this helps!

bmurray74

that might be something to do with it then. im usually around 13-15 in the morning, then i have 2 slices of brown bread toasted or a bowl of rice krispies and my 500mg metformin, 2 hours later my readings are about 18-20, if i dont eat anything from breakfast till 6pm my levels can go down to 11 but if i eat anything it goes back up to 18/19. i feel sick and dizzy all the time, when i wake up my hands and/or feet are numb but i dont know if thats symptoms or general worry thats causing it.