Question to t:slim X2 users

ElenaP

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I am wondering how you are getting on with the cannulas that go with t:slim X2 pump?

I wanted a pump that connects with Dexcom, and this is what my diabetes team was able to offer. I am happy with the pump, but am struggling with the AutoSoft90 cannulas. I find them very time-consuming and fiddly to insert. Also, several teflon needles have kinked, and have caused high glucose readings. I have now asked to try the stainless steel cannulas.
The t:slim is replacement for Accu-Chek insight that had a simple, quick way to insert cannulas, so I'm somewhat dissappointed.

I have had this t:slim for one week, and would like to hear how other people have found it to use.

Reactions: Capt-Slog

Capt-Slog

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Sport
Hi Elena,

I had EXACTLY the same issues when i started with the t:slim.

I love the pump, but the Teflon cannulas just did not work from me.
I have a tough hide I guess - lol.

I changed over to the TruSteel cannulas and they are a dream. You insert them manually, which sounds "icky", but in fact there are a load of positives.

1. A LOT less plastic waste going into the bin (can't recycle most of the Teflon insertion rubbish).
This doesn't sound like much, but it does make you feel a bit better about yourself ( yay me! )

2. Because you are inserting the cannula by hand you have a LOT more control over where you stick them.

3. It doesn't kink... Ever!

Sometimes, very rarely, i insert near a sore patch and there is a a little "pinch" when i put it in. It lasts for like 3 seconds and then you don't know its there.

It took me a year to find out that there is a longer 32" tubing.
This is SOOO much more convenient for me. The 24" tubing was ok, but now i feel a lot happier about where i can put my pump and cannula.

The order number for 6mm Trusteel Cannulas and 32" tubing is:
D3042000

The girls at Air Liquide are always happy to let you try something different, even if it doesn't work out. So dont be afraid to give them a call and have a chat, they are a very friendly bunch.

I badgered my diabetes team into letting me get the t:slim, when everyone else was getting patch pumps.
I wanted it specifically to use with the Dexcom G6. I discovered, too late, that I was one of the "1 in a 1000" people who have an ellergic reaction to the adhesive that they use on the G6.

I am now waiting for the introduction of the Dexcom G7 which looks a lot like a Freestyle Libre, and doesnt need a separate transmitter. More importantly, it uses the same adhesive as a Libre 1. YAY again!

Good luck with your t:slim.
I know patch pumps are really popular at the moment, but i love my t:slim and have been very happy with it.

Regards
Chris

vic hill

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
MANy MANY years i had the same problem only for one day teflon keep it fo frying pans
steel day in day out then somebody says try them in bottom which again is a no no what happen somebody tried got stuck then sued the company idiot tech dept keep safe keep PUMPING VIC INSULIN 63 YEAS

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Elena

I'm using the Teflon cannula's, they are a bit more fiddly that the steel ones. You do have to take care inserting them, remembering to remove the cover over the cannula before inserting and making sure its fully pulled back and clicked into place then finally making sure its flat on your skin before releasing. I've been using them for about two years and I've had maybe one kinked each year and every time it was due to me rushing and not taking care.

I'm quite active and find the teflon ones more comfortable than the steel ones.

ElenaP

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Elena

I'm using the Teflon cannula's, they are a bit more fiddly that the steel ones. You do have to take care inserting them, remembering to remove the cover over the cannula before inserting and making sure its fully pulled back and clicked into place then finally making sure its flat on your skin before releasing. I've been using them for about two years and I've had maybe one kinked each year and every time it was due to me rushing and not taking care.

I'm quite active and find the teflon ones more comfortable than the steel ones.
Hi Chas,
I appreciate your advice on taking care when going through the insertion stages. Holding onto the inserter at the same time as pulling back is difficult for me butt, no doubt, it will get easier with more practice. My plan is to use steel and teflon alternatively to find the more comfortable one. My forms of exercise are gentle: Tai Chi and walking, so cannulas should not get in the way.

Reactions: Chas C