Question to Tandem T:slim X2 users

ElenaP

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have a question about which HbA1c figures to trust, the blood test or that shown on the report created from the pump (via Glooko).

I’ve just been for an appointment with a hospital diabetes nurse. Unfortunately, a different nurse from the one that I have seen in recent years. My blood test shows 61 mmol (which is much higher than I would prefer) but the Glooko report shows 6.7% (50.2 mmol). The nurse seems to think that I should take the better figure from Glooko as the correct one, but I feel that the blood test figure would be the more accurate one.

What do you think?

Nicola M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I’m not a tandem user but I do use Medtronic which gives quite in depth reports about various things such as HbA1c. I’ve never been told to believe the report data, a blood result is always by far the most accurate. Reports don’t take into account that your blood sugar may not always be the most accurate from CGM/Pump data.

My most recent HbA1c was 40 but my report predicted it would be 51 based on the data it had.

• Agree
Reactions: Juicyj

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Agree with you both the blood test would be more accurate and would use this as the benchmark figure.

ElenaP

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I’m not a tandem user but I do use Medtronic which gives quite in depth reports about various things such as HbA1c. I’ve never been told to believe the report data, a blood result is always by far the most accurate. Reports don’t take into account that your blood sugar may not always be the most accurate from CGM/Pump data.

My most recent HbA1c was 40 but my report predicted it would be 51 based on the data it had.
Thank you Nicola. Congratulations in keeping your HbA1c so low. I must try even harder to get my readings down.

• Friendly
Reactions: Nicola M

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
The only one to trust is the blood test as that is the hba1c..

The reports from the pump are just estimates based on maths to give you a rough idea of how you are doing in between blood tests

Every body is different so maths alone will never be accurate.. another factor is that the Dexcom is not 100% accurate

But even software differs the closed to my actual hba1c has been nightscout

But after a few blood tests you get to roughly know what to expect based on the pump results

Reactions: ElenaP

hboyt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Mine is the other way around! My Hba1c is 6.8 and Glooko is 7.8 My last appt the consultant wouldn't believe my Hba1c cos my my cgm readings look alot higher. I'm still going with hba1c tho ..would think they would be more accurate since cgm can be out by 10 or 20%
I have a question about which HbA1c figures to trust, the blood test or that shown on the report created from the pump (via Glooko).

I’ve just been for an appointment with a hospital diabetes nurse. Unfortunately, a different nurse from the one that I have seen in recent years. My blood test shows 61 mmol (which is much higher than I would prefer) but the Glooko report shows 6.7% (50.2 mmol). The nurse seems to think that I should take the better figure from Glooko as the correct one, but I feel that the blood test figure would be the more accurate one.

What do you think?

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Got to agree with everyone else, blood test is the most accurate. CGM, Glooko etc are best estimates but surprised at the gaps some are reporting.

Reactions: ElenaP