Question .

Cloe-1992

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey everyone I'm new to this but have a question .
I had my clinic appointment today and have been doing really well . I've been planning for today to bring up whats the next step with in pregnancy .
So I was told a little bit there and have told me to ring up for a pre pregnancy clinic appointment . And to also start taking folic acid as they were happy with my hba1c ect.

The question that has been playing on my mind which i asked was do you have to go onto the pump . I have been offered it in the past but always refused it just haven't liked the idea of it . They said what ever I felt most comfortable with . So for me it would be multiple daily injections .
Has anyone else had pregnancies and decided to stay on multiple daily injections , if so how was it , how did you find it , or did you decided to change onto a pump .

Any replies will be much appreciated .
Thank you for reading .

:):):)

Last edited by a moderator:
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hi I wish you lots of luck with everything. I have stayed on injections, a pump was suggested about 18 months ago, but I was and still am happy with the injections, but wasn't offered a pump when I was pregnant ( that was 13 years ago at the grand age of 42 1/2 years).:happy:
I hope you can get some info from other members, as knowledge is power and the more information you can get will definitely benefit your decision as it could tip the balance either way. Take care and all the best:)

Cloe-1992

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi I wish you lots of luck with everything. I have stayed on injections, a pump was suggested about 18 months ago, but I was and still am happy with the injections, but wasn't offered a pump when I was pregnant ( that was 13 years ago at the grand age of 42 1/2 years).:happy:
I hope you can get some info from other members, as knowledge is power and the more information you can get will definitely benefit your decision as it could tip the balance either way. Take care and all the best:)

Thank you so much for your reply . It's good to read that someone else was on injections , and that it can be done that way .
Thinking I will be told a bit more once I have attended a pre pregnancy clinic , but it's nice to hear from the people who have actually been threw it .
Thank you. :):):)

Reactions: 2 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Thank you so much for your reply . It's good to read that someone else was on injections , and that it can be done that way .
Thinking I will be told a bit more once I have attended a pre pregnancy clinic , but it's nice to hear from the people who have actually been threw it .
Thank you. :):):)

I wouldn't of changed a thing, my daughter is the apple of my eye and I feel so lucky to have her as I am an older mum and I love her to bits ( even though she is now a teenager):eek:( and is supposed to be cleaning up her bedroom as I type:rolleyes:) All the best

Cloe-1992

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I wouldn't of changed a thing, my daughter is the apple of my eye and I feel so lucky to have her as I am an older mum and I love her to bits ( even though she is now a teenager):eek:( and is supposed to be cleaning up her bedroom as I type:rolleyes:) All the best

I am 22 and my partner is 24 . The way you speak about your daughter is so Lovely . Can tell you cherish her .
Hopefully the room is cleaned for you now lol :D
Take care :):):)

samtov

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I'm currently 29 weeks pregnant and never been offered the pump. So have been having daily injections. Hbac1 is 5.7 so they seem to be working well with me. It is hard work maintaining good levels but I would imagine it's hard on the pump too. I would stick to what you are comfortable with. As long as your diabetic team are on hand you should be fine which ever choice you make :)
I hope everything goes well!
X

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Cloe-1992

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm currently 29 weeks pregnant and never been offered the pump. So have been having daily injections. Hbac1 is 5.7 so they seem to be working well with me. It is hard work maintaining good levels but I would imagine it's hard on the pump too. I would stick to what you are comfortable with. As long as your diabetic team are on hand you should be fine which ever choice you make :)
X

Was lovely to read your reply , makes me a feel a lot more confident in my decision to stay on injections . Especially with what you have managed to achieve . I've recently had my hba1c and it was 6.7% , they seemed happy with the go ahead process and was very pleased with my results , but I know I can get it lower . Also will be seeing a dietician to see what I should be eating during pregnancy too as want to find out as much information as I can , did you find you had to change your eating ? . Congratulations on how well you are doing and have done with your hba1c , best wishes :):):) .

samtov

Type of diabetes
Type 1
They have never spoken to me about my diet or even what I should be eating. The only thing I had to change was eating more carbs for my lunch as my levels dropped mid afternoon and doc said I wasn't eating enough, He even advised me to have a Mars bar a hour after injecting - I wasn't going to argue with that one :p
Your hbac1 is really good! You might find that may drop in early pregnancy as I suffered from A lot of hypos for the first 12 weeks, but as long as you have hypo awareness you will be fine.
You will hve to keep us updated on your progress :)
X

Cloe-1992

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
X

I'm currently 29 weeks pregnant and never been offered the pump. So have been having daily injections. Hbac1 is 5.7 so they seem to be working well with me. It is hard work maintaining good levels but I would imagine it's hard on the pump
They have never spoken to me about my diet or even what I should be eating. The only thing I had to change was eating more carbs for my lunch as my levels dropped mid afternoon and doc said I wasn't eating enough, He even advised me to have a Mars bar a hour after injecting - I wasn't going to argue with that one :p
Your hbac1 is really good! You might find that may drop in early pregnancy as I suffered from A lot of hypos for the first 12 weeks, but as long as you have hypo awareness you will be fine.
You will hve to keep us updated on your progress :)
X

Oh wow that sounds brilliant to me being encouraged to have a Mars bar haha result :p . I wouldn't of argued either haha .
How many bms are you doing daily if you don't mind me asking :oops: . Im very lucky and have good hypo awareness so hopefully will be fine like you said . I will defiantly keep you updated , am at the very early stages . But it's a start in the right direction , hence the 21 questions sorry lol . Was very shocked when they told me I could start folic acid and go and make an appointment with the pre pregnancy clinic , I was told all this by my diabetes care team , have to book an appointment with the doctor to go onto folic acid , after I have had a blood test regarding rubella ? If that's spelt right . So will be getting that done next week . Was pleased with their response due to my hba1c , so yes very long journey , but hopefully will get there .
Thank you so much for the replies and information , has really helped me especially knowing you inject .
Thanks again , :):):)

samtov

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Don't worry about the questions, I wish I had known about this group when I was in your situation.
I was taking folic acid for quite a while before I was pregnant. Doctor said there was no time limit on how long you could take them for.
I am a little obsessed with doing my bm and probably test 12 times a day :eek: doctor said I shouldn't be testing as much as I am, I personally don't think there is a problem with it, my bloods have a spike a hour after I eat and go up to 11 and drop a hour or two after that. I never inject to correct the spike as I know it will drop after but I do test to make sure my drop isn't too low.
It definitely looks like your heading in the right direction and hopefully won't take too long :)
X

Moaney

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I'm 32 weeks pregnant and on daily injections. I have been all through my diabetes and I prefer it that way, having my own control. My HBA1C Is 6.8% And has been last few months. Seems to want to stay there. But the Dr's r happy with my progress and r extremely helpful with any questions I may have. U should get great support. I haven't found my diabetes has hindered my pregnancy in any way. I suffered a lot of highs at the start. But that was easily resolved once I saw a dietician and a Dr. Good luck....pregnancy isn't fun in my opinion I'm still suffering sickness along with the other joys at this stage, but it will b worth it all at the end!!! :)

Cloe-1992

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Don't worry about the questions, I wish I had known about this group when I was in your situation.
I was taking folic acid for quite a while before I was pregnant. Doctor said there was no time limit on how long you could take them for.
I am a little obsessed with doing my bm and probably test 12 times a day :eek: doctor said I shouldn't be testing as much as I am, I personally don't think there is a problem with it, my bloods have a spike a hour after I eat and go up to 11 and drop a hour or two after that. I never inject to correct the spike as I know it will drop after but I do test to make sure my drop isn't too low.
It definitely looks like your heading in the right direction and hopefully won't take too long :)
X

It's so brilliant to hear from you , as you read and hear a lot , not that I believe it all , I will make my own mind up once I'm told more from my doctors ect . And am going threw it myself , but hearing from you , you make it sound do-able , I know it's going to be a real hard journey , but just gives you that bit more confidence that others are doing it too . Ooo I have read a lot about spiking after meals ect , that does seem a hard goal . I test between 5-6 times a day at the moment , I want to test more but the doctor says to do four a day so don't want to push my luck Untill I have confirmation from my diabetes team to do loads more hehe I will defiantly be like you testing that amount , you need to know whats going on to be at your healthiest so I don't see the problem either . You will have to also keep me updated on your journey .
Thank you so much for all your help and support . Good luck and take care :):):)

Cloe-1992

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm 32 weeks pregnant and on daily injections. I have been all through my diabetes and I prefer it that way, having my own control. My HBA1C Is 6.8% And has been last few months. Seems to want to stay there. But the Dr's r happy with my progress and r extremely helpful with any questions I may have. U should get great support. I haven't found my diabetes has hindered my pregnancy in any way. I suffered a lot of highs at the start. But that was easily resolved once I saw a dietician and a Dr. Good luck....pregnancy isn't fun in my opinion I'm still suffering sickness along with the other joys at this stage, but it will b worth it all at the end!!! :)

Hi , thank you so much for you reply , congratulations !! .
It' re assures me hearing from people who had stayed on injections as that's what I am planning to do , but recently have just heard of pumping and pregnancy , but all I know is injecting and that's the big thing for me too , I want to stay in control of myself . Your hba1c sounds amazing , mine is currently 6.7% and was pleased to hear they were also happy with that and I can start to prepare . I can imagine like you are saying it's going to be the hardest journey , I've / we've ever had to do with diabetes , but exactly like you said its worth going through it and being your healthiest as it will be so worth it in the end . It's great hearing others are doing it and doing it so well, gives you that bit more confidence in it can be done .
Best wishes , and take care. :):):)